Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Donations for WW2F

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Otto, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Due to the huge number of offers I think I need to address this.

First of all, I am awed by the huge number of generous members who completly unprompted offered funds to help support this website. I always knew we had a solid membership, but the robust desire to pitch in is humbling. A sincere thank you to all who offered.

It would be very easy to open up the PayPal account and just take in donations ad hoc, but I'm just not comfortable doing this. It's not that the funds wouldn't useful or aren't needed, it's more an issue of ensuring accountability on our part for anything people contribute. I don't ever want to accept anything without offering something in return. Even if the "return" is simply recognition of the contribution, I refuse to take without giving something back. In addition, there are obviously some items that need to be addressed before the site is even presentable, foremost of which is the current malware issue.

So here is the tentative plan. After some of the more pressing issues are resolved (malware cleaned, software updated, Anti-Virus system implemented, new theme/skin installed), we will create a system where members can contribute to the site financially in return for a different level of membership with more abilities, increased access, and greater limits on things like uploads, private messages, etc. We are also toying with the idea that contributors will receive a membership package physically mailed to them, though this might be a bridge too far at this point.

At this stage we have no specifics established, but a contributing membership system is something that will be definitely be available. The current timeframe has this going live sometime around December, but even this is subject to change.

I will keep you Rogues updated on the progress of the contributing members system, and well as progress we make in other areas. Thanks all for your generous support, I sincerely appreciate it.

Morg308, macrusk, Sentinel and 2 others like this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I think this is a well thought out and "doable" plan...
    I have thought about an adress to send WW2 "stuff" that the members would like to pass in...if accepted it could then go into a "prize pool" - To be issued at the descretion of the "board" members. Just something to think about AFTER the hard yards are done. Thankyou to YOU Otto.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Good idea. There is a similar scheme in place at the WW2 Relics Forum and it seems to work very well.....

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Be watching this one with with interest!

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Thanks for your concern, Otto. I think your plan is not only wise, but doable. I hope to see more when the other issues are addressed. I'm glad you have thought about this. I look forward to your solution.

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I'm in all the way! Glad to be of assistance.

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I like that idea a lot, Otto. I look forward to seeing how this develops over the coming months.

8. Clementine

Clementine Member

I already feel that I am getting something of very great value, access to all of this knowledge and a respectful place to ask questions - and I feel it is worth contributing to as is, it wouldn't feel like a donation or payment, it would simply feel as if I were doing my part.

But I very much appreciate that you want to do this in a way that seems fair to all concerned. Thank you.

I will await further instructions!

Buten42 likes this.
  9. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Well said Clementine, exactly how I feel. But whatever is decided is fine wiith me.
    dave

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'll be following this with interest too.

11. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I'd probably 'pony-up' a yearly subscription just to be able to read some of the 'Worlds Thoughts' from the diverse membership we have. Another thought (that I stole from WotNoChad's "Donation's?" 2008 thread) is to click those banner ad's at the top and bottom of the page now and then.
    Otto can expect some funding from the Romney Campaign now.

12. Clementine

Clementine Member

No matter how much I love this site, there's no way I'm clicking on that banner ad for that girl that wants to meet me, Biak. I'm already creeped out that she lives just 2.8 miles from me. It says she does, so it must be true, right?

I thought the ads were geared toward our interests, after I looked at a lawnmower I noticed a lawnmower banner ad, but girls have never been of that kind of interest to me, nor do I look them up online, so I don't really get that. One of you must be getting my "This guy wants to meet you" ad. I'll trade....

(To be clear, I am kidding, I really prefer not to meet or communicte with any human being via a banner ad, thanks!)

13. Biak

Discretionary shopping Clem! :) I only clicked the MRomney site since he won't miss a few cents out of his 100's of millions of $. Free enterprise. Rather than me donate to him, I prefer he donate to Otto. Oh and the fact I like a good Fiction story occasionally. As for Stephenie & Shannon - I ignored them so long they no longer bother me. That or they both moved.
    Seriously, most sites live and die by the income generated by the nickels and dimes for each 'visit' from the advertisements. I was just wondering if Otto would see a 'bump' in revenue :) But the down side is those pesky malware invasions seem to attach themselves. I'm off to see what the Swiss Colony has to offer.
    Sorry to go astray and off topic I sometimes lose my Look a Squirrel !!

14. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

There he goes, he's going to get this thread kicked to the Stump before it can do any good....

15. Biak

Sorry about that Chief! It's been a slow day. Honestly I would be more than willing to subscribe to this place for the same reasons many others have stated. We all like that free stuff but if that is what is needed to keep WW2f going, where do I sign?
    I apologize also, I did not realize The Swiss Colony was so controversial. I'll stay on topic from here on out.

16. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I have yet to click on a banner ad, even though my dream girl is so close to me. I have fun just looking at them, there seems to be so much variety to them.

17. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

I have and do kick in a dough on other sites that are of interest to me in order to help out those who do so much for us. Having said that I will raised my objection to a merit rating based upon amount contributed. There are some folks who contribute much and may not be wealthy enough to kick a lot or any money. I hold nothing against any man based on his or her financial status. And I fear such a rating system may embarass some who need the money to eat or whatever.

So give us a spot to send a cheque or for the younger more computer savvy folks some kind of electronic method. Those of us who can help out with a couple of bucks should do so without any public recognition. And those of us who need their change for life needs can continue to contribute with finger tip skin.

Personally I have thought that the salute method employed is a very good indicator of the member's contribution to the site.

But I will support whatever method chosen.

KTK

18. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Thank all for the support. I want to stress than any membership system we come up with will be completely voluntary, and there will be no reduction in access for other members. This is simply an option for any member to donate if they feel so inclined.

@ Ken The Kanuck: Thanks for the reminder about the regular postal mail, running a website I tend to get a bit online focused. I'll post a contact info page he in the next week or so, where I'll include the postal address for the site.

19. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Thanks that will make life easier for us fossils.

KTK

20. 693FA

693FA Member

So that's what caused this mess.. I've been clicking on those darn ads to much:mad:....ooops sorry gents! seriously Otto Thanks again! and will be waiting to see where I take the oath!