Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Don't run from bears

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by KodiakBeer, May 29, 2014.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

This story below illustrates an idiotic pattern that comes up every summer in Alaska, and I'm sure elsewhere in North America. People arrive here and decide that the best possible thing they can do with their spare time is jogging in country that holds bears. If you run from a bear it will chase you. Jogging is running from bears. Normally, bears will either ignore you or avoid you, but if you're running it sets off a prey-predator response. It's instinctive. It's an "on" switch that sets off an aggressive response.

It's obvious in the video that she never grasps what her mistake is. She is focused on the "sow with cubs" thing, but in fact it was almost certainly her running that set the bear off. If she'd walked up on the sow and cubs, the bear would have "huffed" at her then herded the cubs away. No harm, no foul.

Luckily, most of these people survive these encounters...

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20140529/jber-mauling-victim-speaks-about-bear-attack

2. toki2

toki2 Active Member

My trip to BC starts next week. Just polishing up my bagpipes to scare away the bears.

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Sure, anything that sounds like a wounded moose will be fine.

gtblackwell and Biak like this.
  4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good one, KB.

5. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

I LIKE BAGPIPES ! But I can sorta see your point.

Always travel through the woods in pairs for safety. Myself, I carry a .22 magnum but a stout walking stick works well also. If a situation arises that appears the wild animal approaching is preparing to attack you, shoot/hit your traveling companion sharply in the kneecap and slowly walk away.

CAC likes this.
  6. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I could fix the whole problem for about a thousand bucks. Just install signs at each trail head saying "Bears chase runners, jog here at your own risk". This happens every summer in and around Anchorage. They have all these green belts following the creeks through the city, with trails along them. The bears come down to the creeks for salmon, the runners come darting by and on it goes.

Yeah, that's an old Alaska joke that begins when somebody asks you what the best bear gun is. The punchline being; a .22-partner-kneecap and so on...

7. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member

Bagpipes ?????? Is not that cruelty to animals ?

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

it's cruelty all the way around, animal or human.

9. toki2

toki2 Active Member

Why do you think that there are no bears in Scotland anymore? They all emigrated.

10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Bears are fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA_2O1jggik

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

12. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I met Treadwell and had a couple of long conversations with him. I was polite, but he was an arrogant idiot. He filmed those specials where he got close to bears during the summer salmon runs and it made him a celebrity - he'd go to parties with big name Hollywood stars. But in fact, you can see fishermen all over Alaska right next to bears during the salmon runs because when the bears are glutted on fish they're pretty safe to be around.

Treadwell sold this notion that he had a special bond with bears and people from down south believed it. The first time, the very first time, he went into Katmai after the salmon runs were over "his" bears killed and ate him and his girlfriend.

Just to illustrate what a jerk he was, he'd always stay in a hotel called the Buskin River Inn here in Kodiak. It's an OK little place with a steak and seafood restaurant and a bar. He would just terrorize the waitresses and employees there. Nothing was ever cooked correctly, no drink was ever served properly, he'd literally scream at the cleaning people when they knocked at his door - no time was the right time. He never left a tip for anyone. He never had a nice word for anyone. A lot of people around here thought it was about damned time those bears ate him. It's too bad about the girl though...

[​IMG]

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

There were some pics of his remains post attack. To the bone. How could he predict that his next bear encounter was not an injured/old/starving bear? ...His approach was a calming chatter which would persuade the bear out of camp...
    Death wish.

14. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

It was his first trip, ever, when the salmon weren't running. It was October and the bears were hungry and ill tempered. Not the same as they were on all his previous trips during the summer salmon runs.

15. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

What he lacked in judgement, he must have made up for with good taste. ;)

(Apologies to the makers of the film, "A Boy and his Dog")

KodiakBeer likes this.
  16. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

17. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

We are getting more croc attacks here too...last one a bloke just leaned over to clean some mud off his fish and the croc lunged out of the water and dragged him out and under...his wife and kids gobsmacked looking on in the "tinnie" (small aluminium boat). Every attack theres a call for a cull, and every time it gets shouted down...rightly so too...its their home and place of business, not ours.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Saw a show where in India, those who have to go into the jungle would wear a mask on the BACK of their heads. The mask had large eyes painted on it. The thinking was that tigers attack usually from behind, and they did not want to be observed stalking by the intended victim...Wonder if that would work with bears. Doubt it. Let us know if that works KB...If it doesn't, can I have your stuff?
    http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/05/science/face-masks-fool-the-bengal-tigers.html

19. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

It works with Dingos...walking backwards stops them in their tracks, turn back around and they"ll be trotting a comfortable distance away toward you...(not interested in me, but my dog...)

20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Hey,hey,hey. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure they had their eye on you too. Try limping next time. They love limps.