Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Drugs use and WW2

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Kai-Petri, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Anyone know any figures what kind of drugs and how many pills a day the soldiers on different sides used on average?

I know it was necessary but just curious about benzedrine, amphetamine etc amounts.

What happened after the war to these users? Any books/articles on this?

2. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

i undersood benzadren is commonly known as speed,i think?:confused:cheers.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Yes, Lee, along with the other drugs in the ampthetamine class.

4. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Here is something I found quick on one of my favorite sites for US medics, field hospitals ect.

Introduction:

The following list has been produced in order to offer an explanation of exactly how the contents of the various First-Aid Kits and Packets supplied to the US Army should be used, and describes their application. In addition to the contents of the kits themselves, the application of Medical forms has also been included in this article for completeness.
    During training, troops would have been familiarized with the majority if not all of these materials, since they might have been called upon to use any of the following items in an emergency. Where possible, Medical Department Item and Form Numbers have been added to items for completeness.......

.....Benzedrine Tablets (Item # 1098500):
    For relief of extreme mental fatigue take one tablet. This dose may be repeated at intervals of every 6 hours, if needed. A total of only three such doses should be taken in 1 week except under operations of extreme length, when up to six such doses may be used. For the relief of physical fatigue, take two tablets. This dose may be repeated at intervals of every 6 hours, if needed. Never take a total of more than three such doses within a period of 1 week.
    WW2 US Medical Research Centre :: Use of Contents of First-Aid Kits & Packets
    So apparently it was issued in US field medic first aid kits.

5. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Hi all;
    Yes the NAZIs were quite often whacked out on amphetimines-and it does go a long ways in explaining their behavior.
    Wonderdrugs and the Wehrmacht : methamphetamine and the German war machine Der Fuhrer himself was alleged to have taken daily injections of some sort of witches' brew. Hermann Goerring was said to have been totally disabled by the time of Stalingrad when he told Hitler that the Luftwaffe could supply Von Paulus from the air-a clearly deluded proposition. Moral of story? Do not let the insane/and or drug addicted take power in your country.
    JeffinMNUSA

6. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Though from the 60's I think, so slightly off topic but, I found this absolutly hilarious youtube video on a British Experiment on a Infantry Battalion trying to function on LSD.
    YouTube - Cybernatic Breed - British troops on lsd

and from wikipedia, though not a large article
    D-IX was a name given to a drug created by Nazi scientists to create soldiers with higher endurance, which contained 3mg Pervitin (Methamphetamine), 5mg Cocaine & 5mg Eukodal (Oxycodone), however the war ended before D-IX could be put into mass production

7. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

With the possible exception of the Red Army, "speed" use was the norm, not the exception. The Red Army wasn't exempt because of some "moral superiorty", but simply inability to use the "wonder drug" for cost reasons. But that said:

I did find an old floppy of mine with most of the data concerning "drugs and WW2", and both Allies and Axis. I don't have either the book mentioned ("Nazis on Speed") nor any idea where I picked most of this up.

1919 Methamphetamine was first synthesized in by the Japanese chemist A. Ogata.

1932 Amphetamine is first marketed in the US as 'benzedrine' by Smith, Kline & French of Philadelphia, in an over-the-counter inhaler to treat congestion.

1935 Amphetamine's stimulant effect is first recognized and physicians successfully use it to treat narcolepsy.

1937 Amphetamine is first approved by the American Medical Association for sale in tablet form. It is sold by prescription for use in the treatment of narcolepsy and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).

World War II Both Amphetamine and Methamphetamine are widely distributed to soldiers of both the Allies and Axis to help improve performance. This led to addiction problems in Japan after the war.

1940 Methamphetamine is marketed under the trade name "Methedrine" by Burroughs Wellcome in the US.

1942 Dextro-amphetamine and methamphetamine become commonly available. Directly after the war was over, the US dispersed millions of "speed" tablets to the civilians of Japan to both combat hunger pangs and keep them working.

1950 - 1953 U.S. dispenses amphetamine to all UN troops in Korea through the medical supply.

1954 Height of the Japanese amphetamine epidemic. There are estimated to be over 2 million amphetamine users in a population of 88.5 million.

1959 First report of IV injection of contents from Benzedrine inhalers.

1963 Illicit speed production begins when the Attorney General of California requests that injectable ampules be removed from the market.

1960's Methamphetamine use rises in the United States, and even JFK is "legal" user.

1970 Amphetamine becomes schedule II Controlled Substance in the U.S. with the passage of the 'U.S. Drug Abuse Regulation and Control Act of 1970'. This makes it illegal to possess without a prescription.

In Nazi Germany Pervitin the marketing name for Berlin-based Temmler pharmaceutical company "speed" was widely distributed to the Nazi soldiers, sailors and airmen by their medical divisions under the code name OBM. By 1944 a new and more potent combination had been developed, known as D-IX. It contained five milligrams of cocaine, three milligrams of Pervitin and five milligrams of Eukodal (a morphine-based painkiller). You might want to see if you can find German author and criminologist Dr. Wolf Kemper's 2002 book, Nazis on Speed. I think that is where I got most of this next stuff (but don’t hold me to that!).

The use of an amphetamine called Pervitine was a usual thing on the Poland front in the very beginning of the war. Nazi leaders believed that the use of that stimulant would inspire their troops to noble and heroic deeds for the sake of the victory. A factory of the Berlin company Temmel, which manufactured Pervitine, supplied the Nazi Army and the Luftwaffe with 29 million of Pervitine pills during the period of April-December of 1939. The Ground troops high command ordered to keep that a secret.

Official documents mentioned the drug under the code name obm. Yet, Nazis underestimated Pervitine’s side effects. The "consumers" could not do without the drug really soon. In 1939, German doctors determined during their inspections at the front that the soldiers used pervitine without any control at all. The period to recover from the drug effect was getting longer and longer, while attention concentration ability was getting weaker and weaker. This eventually resulted in messages of lethal outcome in several Nazi divisions in both France and Poland. Doctors’ warnings were left with no attention. All orderly bags were filled with that and similar drugs during the last years of the war. They distributed Pervitine pills to anyone, who had any ailing complaints.

Nazis conducted more and more of their tests with the new wonder chemical, although the war was coming to its end. It occurred to the Third Reich leaders to launch the series production of the new D-IX substance on March 16, 1944. Vice Admiral Helmut Heye stated at a session with pharmacologists and small military units commanders that there should be a new medicine invented to help German soldiers stand the tense situation longer and to make them feel more uplifting than usual in any situation. After the war, the admiral became a Bundestag deputy for defense issues, by the way. Heye’s suggestion was completely supported by such an influential figure as Otto Skortseni (after the successful operation to release Mussolini in September of 1943, the commander of the Fridental special unit was awarded with the German National Hero title).

Skortseni was searching for a new drug for his division for a long time. After he had a very detailed conversation with the leadership of Hitler’s headquarters in Berlin, there was a group of researchers set up in the city of Kiel. The group was presided over by pharmacology professor Gerhard Orchehovsky. The group was given a task to develop and launch the production of the needed drug.

Criminologist Kemper believes that the plan was approved by Adolf Hitler himself: none of such projects could be implemented without his approval.

Orchehovsky came to conclusion after several months of hard work at Kiel University labs that he finally created the needed substance. One pill contained five milligrams of cocaine, three milligrams of pervitine, five milligrams of eucodal (morphine-based painkiller), as well as synthetic cocaine that was produced by the company Merk. The latter drug was used by German fighter pilots during World War I as a stimulant for their large-distance sorties. The invented cocktail of drugs was supposed to be tested by mini-submarine crewmen first. The results were supposed to be checked during their navigation in the Kiel Bay. Skortseni ordered to send him a thousand of those pills. He wanted to test their action on the members of the Forelle diversionary unit of submariners, which was a part of Danube destructive unit of the German death squad.

Researcher Kemper came to conclusion that the results of the tests were very inspiring. That made Nazi leaders continue the experiments, testing the new drug on the people, who walked in circles 24 hours a day, carrying 20 kilos backpacks. Those people were Sachsenhausen concentration camp prisoners. They became like laboratory guinea-pigs in November of 1944. The goal of the experiment was to determine the new stamina limit for D-IX exposed humans. Medical records of that time show that several participants of the experiment felt fine with only two or three short stops a day: "The considerable reduction of the need in sleep is very impressive. This drug disables man’s action ability and will." In other words, D-IX made a human being a robot. The results of all those tests inspired their initiators to supply D-IX drug to the entire Nazi Army. However, they failed to launch the mass production of the substance. Allies’ victories at both fronts in winter and spring in 1945 resulted in the collapse of the Nazi regime. The absurd dream of the wonder drug was crushed.

As I said at the beginning, I don't recall where I got it all, and a person could probably "google up" most of it somewhere, that is what I did originally. Just feeling lazy today as per sorting through it all again.

Hitler may or may NOT have actually had Parkinson's, he may have simply had "Parkinson's like" symptoms. Perhaps themselves created by the drugs he took on a regular basis from Dr. Theo Morell. Between 28 and 40 different concoctions, some twice a day, some daily, some weekly, some monthly.

You might enjoy this site:

http://commonsensewonder.com/cgi-bin/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=7000

Wherein you will find this near the end:

"In an authoritative analysis of Hitler's medical condition, the "Medical Casebook of Adolf Hitler"; by L Heston M.D. and R. Heston R.N., the Heston's make a point that Hitler's tremor, because it was, initially, intermittent, represented either an exaggerated physiologic (normal) tremor or (perhaps) a hysterical tremor. But, the one-sided onset of Hitler's tremor (left-side), its occurrence at rest, its association with other features of Parkinson's disease, and its progressive nature argue against Hitler's tremor being an exaggerated physiologic (normal) tremor or a hysterical tremor. But, then it might also have been a drug-induced tremor:

"Hitler was on several drugs. These were prescribed (or mis-prescribed) by Dr. T. Morell, Hitler's personal physician. They were prescribed for a variety of symptoms, most of them related to fatigue, depression, and anxiety. The drugs included methamphetamine ("Prevetine") injected daily beginning in 1942. Cola-Dalmann tablets, containing a number of ingredients including caffeine, used daily since the mid 1930s. Brom-Nervacit, containing bromide, and used sporadically since 1942. All of these drugs, except Cola-Dalmann, were started before 1942, when Hitler's tremor began. All of these drugs can increase tremor, but they could not have caused Hitler's left-sided resting tremor."

Remember that even Dr. Theo Morell started treating Hitler with a medication commonly used to treat the Parkinson's in 1944 or 1945, something called (I think) "Hamburg 860", although Morell was such an unreliable and obvious quack of a doctor that there maybe NO validity in any of that doctor's diagnoses. There is no doubt that injections given to him by the doctor without whom he "could not live"; included large quantities of amphetamine, beginning at least by early 1936. (Because Hitler can be seen moving his hands back and forth on his upper legs in a way consistent with amphetamine use, called "stereotypical behavior," in 1936 Olympic Games films, his own use likely began even a bit earlier.)

Morell's injections, widely believed at the time to be multi-vitamins "specially compounded for the Fuhrer," ceased on occasion, and in those instances Hitler experienced depression, a likely symptom among amphetamine or cocaine (which Hitler also used) addicts when unable to get their "fix". Hitler also engaged in all-night monologues with increasingly disorganized thinking and confused syntax according to those who heard them. The latter should not be expected of someone considered to be a gifted orator if he was "clean". His mood swings became more volatile, paranoia increased (a common side effect of amphetamine addiction) and while early on he accepted blame for tactical errors which he himself had made, he eventually developed a desire and need to project blame onto everybody else. All symptoms of a drug abuse if not outright addiction. Not necessarily Parkinson's disease.

Of course the long-term "dangers" of these drugs were far from being understood, and in many cases simply put into the "wonder drug" set of all new "better living through chemistry" concept. Just my take on the drugs and the time of course.;)

WotNoChad? likes this.
  8. Herakles

Herakles Member

The drug methamphetamine is still widely used in various countries - mostly Asian. And in Western countries where Asians have migrated to.

In Thailand, a mixture of methamphetamine and caffeine is known as yaba. (accent on the final "a". It means crazy medicine). It is very popular and cheap. It was legal until 1970. Despite vigorous efforts by people such as Thaksin Shinawatra and others, it is widely used.

9. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

When I was discharged from the USN active ('72), I first went to the farm/ranch in Mt., and at that time one of the most popular local pills was called a (street name) "Gorilla bisquit", and that is what was in that one too. But in the US it was a Benzidrine and caffeine mix carried in a buffer of some sort, and very popular with OTR truck drivers.

10. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

"Stimulants for Members of the German Luftwaffe" from Tactical and Technical Trends

The following report on German military use of stimulants during WWII was originally printed in Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 5, August 13, 1942.

[DISCLAIMER: The following text is taken from the U.S. War Department publication Tactical and Technical Trends. As with all wartime intelligence information, data may be incomplete or inaccurate. No attempt has been made to update or correct the text. Any views or opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of the website.]

STIMULANTS FOR MEMBERS OF THE GERMAN LUFTWAFFE

A firm in Brussels is reported to be the distributor of the stimulant called "Pervitin" (see page 19, Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 4) used by members of the German Luftwaffe. It is prepared in the form of a pellet or pill. The manufacturer is Temmlerwerke of Berlin. The following ingredients are used in its manufacture: 1 - phenyl - 2 - methylaminopropane hydrocloric 0.003Saccharin lactis 0.045Amylum 0.012COMMENT: In this country, "Pervitin" is believed to be similar in chemical structure to our drug Benzedrine. The British consider Benzedrine and also Methedrine to be helpful in temporarily increasing physical vigor, relieving fatigue and preventing sleep.

Stimulants for Members of the German Luftwaffe, WWII Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 5, August 13, 1942 (Lone Sentry)

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx guys!

One instance that would interest me is did the RAF pilots in BoB use these stimulants to be able to fly so many sorties per day? And were there pilots who preferred not to use as these drugs do keep you awake but also you make more mistakes....

Thanx for any info!

12. skywalker

skywalker Member

I wonder if Meth use among Japanese soldiers resulted in some of the atrocities commited by them.

13. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

I doubt it. The Japanese where brainwashed into thinking that death was honorable. To them surrender was a disgrace. They already thought that a surrendering soldier was weak and deserved death anyways. While It may have resulted in a few instances the mindset had already been beaten into them

14. Herakles

Herakles Member

Definitely not. These particular drugs don't have this effect. Not like LSD for instance. Heightened sexual awareness yes but violence, no.

The Japanese atrocities, like the German ones can be put down to the human condition.

15. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Heres some info from Der Spiegel,

The Nazis preached abstinence in the name of promoting national health. But when it came to fighting their Blitzkrieg, they had no qualms about pumping their soldiers full of drugs and alcohol. Speed was the drug of choice, but many others became addicted to morphine and alcohol.
    In a letter dated November 9, 1939, to his "dear parents and siblings" back home in Cologne, a young soldier stationed in occupied Poland wrote: "It's tough out here, and I hope you'll understand if I'm only able to write to you once every two to four days soon. Today I'm writing you mainly to ask for some Pervitin ...; Love, Hein."
    [​IMG]
    Pervitin, a stimulant commonly known as speed today, was the German army's -- the Wehrmacht's -- wonder drug.

On May 20, 1940 , the 22-year-old soldier wrote to his family again: "Perhaps you could get me some more Pervitin so that I can have a backup supply?" And, in a letter sent from Bromberg on July 19, 1940 , he wrote: "If at all possible, please send me some more Pervitin." The man who wrote these letters became a famous writer later in life. He was Heinrich Boell, and in 1972 he was the first German to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in the post-war period.
    Many of the Wehrmacht's soldiers were high on Pervitin when they went into battle, especially against Poland and France -- in a Blitzkrieg fueled by speed. The German military was supplied with millions of methamphetamine tablets during the first half of 1940. The drugs were part of a plan to help pilots, sailors and infantry troops become capable of superhuman performance. The military leadership liberally dispensed such stimulants, but also alcohol and opiates, as long as it believed drugging and intoxicating troops could help it achieve victory over the Allies. But the Nazis were less than diligent in monitoring side-effects like drug addiction and a decline in moral standards.

After it was first introduced into the market in 1938, Pervitin, a methamphetamine drug newly developed by the Berlin-based Temmler pharmaceutical company, quickly became a top seller among the German civilian population. According to a report in the Klinische Wochenschrift ("Clinical Weekly"), the supposed wonder drug was brought to the attention of Otto Ranke, a military doctor and director of the Institute for General and Defense Physiology at Berlin 's Academy of Military Medicine . The effects of amphetamines are similar to those of the adrenaline produced by the body, triggering a heightened state of alert. In most people, the substance increases self-confidence, concentration and the willingness to take risks, while at the same time reducing sensitivity to pain, hunger and thirst, as well as reducing the need for sleep. In September 1939, Ranke tested the drug on 90 university students, and concluded that Pervitin could help the Wehrmacht win the war. At first Pervitin was tested on military drivers who participated in the invasion of Poland . Then, according to criminologist Wolf Kemper, it was "unscrupulously distributed to troops fighting at the front."
    [​IMG]
    Heinrich Boell as a soldier (around 1943): "Send me Pervitin."
    Thirty-five million tabletsDuring the short period between April and July of 1940, more than 35 million tablets of Pervitin and Isophan (a slightly modified version produced by the Knoll pharmaceutical company) were shipped to the German army and air force. Some of the tablets, each containing three milligrams of active substance, were sent to the Wehrmacht's medical divisions under the code name OBM, and then distributed directly to the troops. A rush order could even be placed by telephone if a shipment was urgently needed. The packages were labeled "Stimulant," and the instructions recommended a dose of one to two tablets "only as needed, to maintain sleeplessness."

Even then, doctors were concerned about the fact that the regeneration phase after taking the drug was becoming increasingly long, and that the effect was gradually decreasing among frequent users. In isolated cases, users experienced health problems like excessive perspiration and circulatory disorders, and there were even a few deaths. Leonardo Conti, the German Reich's minister of health and an adherent of Adolf Hitler's belief in asceticism, attempted to restrict the use of the pill, but was only moderately successful, at least when it came to the Wehrmacht. Although Pervitin was classified as a restricted substance on July 1, 1941 , under the Opium Law, ten million tablets were shipped to troops that same year.

Pervitin was generally viewed as a proven drug to be used when soldiers were likely to be subjected to extreme stress. A memorandum for navy medical officers stated the following: "Every medical officer must be aware that Pervitin is a highly differentiated and powerful stimulant, a tool that enables him, at any time, to actively and effectively help certain individuals within his range of influence achieve above-average performance."

"Their spirits suddenly improved"

The effects were seductive. In January 1942, a group of 500 German soldiers stationed on the eastern front and surrounded by the Red Army were attempting to escape. The temperature was minus 30 degrees Celsius. A military doctor assigned to the unit wrote in his report that at around midnight , six hours into their escape through snow that was waist-deep in places, "more and more soldiers were so exhausted that they were beginning to simply lie down in the snow." The group's commanding officers decided to give Pervitin to their troops. "After half an hour," the doctor wrote, "the men began spontaneously reporting that they felt better. They began marching in orderly fashion again, their spirits improved, and they became more alert."

It took almost six months for the report to reach the military's senior medical command. But its response was merely to issue new guidelines and instructions for using Pervitin, including information about risks that barely differed from earlier instructions. The "Guidelines for Detecting and Combating Fatigue," issued June 18, 1942 , were the same as they had always been: "Two tablets taken once eliminate the need to sleep for three to eight hours, and two doses of two tablets each are normally effective for 24 hours."
    Toward the end of the war, the Nazis were even working on a miracle pill for their troops. In the northern German seaport of Kiel, on March 16, 1944, then Vice-Admiral Hellmuth Heye, who later became a member of parliament with the conservative Christian Democratic party and head of the German parliament's defense committee, requested a drug "that can keep soldiers ready for battle when they are asked to continue fighting beyond a period considered normal, while at the same time boosting their self-esteem."
    Towards the end of the war, Germany used younger and younger soldiers. More and more of them relied on drugs or alcohol for courage and endurance.
    A short time later, Kiel pharmacologist Gerhard Orzechowski presented Heye with a pill code-named D-IX. It contained five milligrams of cocaine, three milligrams of Pervitin and five milligrams of Eukodal (a morphine-based painkiller). Nowadays, a drug dealer caught with this potent a drug would be sent to prison. At the time, however, the drug was tested on crew members working on the navy's smallest submarines, known as the "Seal" and the "Beaver."

Alcohol consumption was encouraged

Alcohol, the people's drug, was also popular in the Wehrmacht. Referring to alcohol, Walter Kittel, a general in the medical corps, wrote that "only a fanatic would refuse to give a soldier something that can help him relax and enjoy life after he has faced the horrors of battle, or would reprimand him for enjoying a friendly drink or two with his comrades." Officers would distribute alcohol to their troops as a reward, and schnapps was routinely sold in military commissaries, a policy that also had the happy side effect of returning soldiers' pay to the military.

"The military command turned a blind eye to alcohol consumption, as long as it didn't lead to public drunkenness among the troops," says Freiburg historian Peter Steinkamp, an expert on drug abuse in the Wehrmacht.

But in July 1940, after France was defeated, Hitler issued the following order: "I expect that members of the Wehrmacht who allow themselves to be tempted to engage in criminal acts as a result of alcohol abuse will be severely punished." Serious offenders could even expect "a humiliating death."

But the temptations of liquor were apparently more powerful that the Fuehrer's threats. Only a year later, the commander-in-chief of the German military, General Walther von Brauchitsch, concluded that his troops were committing "the most serious infractions" of morality and discipline, and that the culprit was "alcohol abuse." Among the adverse effects of alcohol abuse he cited were fights, accidents, mistreatment of subordinates, violence against superior officers and "crimes involving unnatural sexual acts." The general believed that alcohol was jeopardizing "discipline within the military."
    According to an internal statistic compiled by the chief of the medical corps, 705 military deaths between September 1939 and April 1944 could be linked directly to alcohol. The unofficial figure was probably much higher, because traffic accidents, accidents involving weapons and suicides were frequently caused by alcohol use. Medical officers were instructed to admit alcoholics and drug addicts to treatment facilities. According to an order issued by the medical service, this solution had "the advantage that it could be extended indefinitely." Once incarcerated in these facilities, addicts were evaluated under the provisions of the "Law for Prevention of Offspring with Hereditary Diseases," and could even be subjected to forced sterilization and euthanasia.
    Drugs were also a problem on the home front, but the Nazis tried harder to control their abuse.
    Executing a bootlegger

The number of cases in which soldiers became blind or even died after consuming methyl alcohol began to increase. From 1939 on, the University of Berlin 's Institute of Forensic Medicine consistently listed methyl alcohol as the leading factor in deaths resulting from the inadvertent ingestion of poisons.

The execution of a 36-year-old officer in Norway in the fall of 1942 was intended to set an example. The officer, who was a driver, had sold five liters of methyl alcohol, which he claimed was 98 percent alcohol and could be used to produce liquor, to an infantry regiment's anti-tank defense unit. Several soldiers fell ill, and two died. The man, deemed an "enemy of the people," was executed by a firing squad. According to the daily order issued on October 2, 1942 , "the punishment shall be announced to the troops and auxiliary units, and it shall be used as a tool for repeated and insistent admonishment."

But soldiers apparently felt that anything that could help them escape the horrors of war was justifiable. Despite general knowledge of the risks involved, morphine addiction became widespread among the wounded and medical personnel during the course of the war. Four times as many military doctors were addicted to morphine by 1945 than at the beginning of the war.

Franz Wertheim, a medical officer who was sent to a small village near the Western Wall on May 10, 1940 , wrote the following account: "To help pass the time, we doctors experimented on ourselves. We would begin the day by drinking a water glass of cognac and taking two injections of morphine. We found cocaine to be useful at midday , and in the evening we would occasionally take Hyoskin," an alkaloid derived from some varieties of the nightshade plant that is used as a medication. Wertheim adds: "As a result, we were not always fully in command of our senses."

German doctors experimented on themselves

To prevent an "outbreak of morphinism, as occurred after the last war," Professor Otto Wuth, a master sergeant and consulting psychiatrist to the military's senior medical command, wrote a "Proposal to Combat Morphinism" in February 1941. Under Wuth's proposal, all wounded who became addicted as a result of treatment were to be centrally recorded and reported to the "District Medical Board," where they would be either legally provided with morphine or routinely examined and sent to drug rehabilitation treatment centers. "In this manner," Wuth concluded, "morphine addicts will be recorded and monitored, and the entire group will be prevented from becoming criminal."

The Nazi leadership was more lenient with those who became drug-addicted as a result of the war than with alcoholics, probably because the Wehrmacht was concerned that it could be sued for damages, because it was in fact responsible for dispensing the drugs in the first place.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/

Kai-Petri likes this.
  16. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Amphetamine was a part of German panzer crew's rations in North Africa if memory serves. It was latter removed from the grunts and distributed at company commander's discretion. I have some vague recollections on how some US raider units were given or able to acquire aphetamine tablets for extended missions in order to combat fatigue.

17. Firefoxy

Firefoxy Dishonorably Discharged

Hey Kai-petri,

Have you ever heard about High Hitler! Hitler was full of drugs.:)

18. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Sassie, reread Cliint's post 7 in this thread, particularly the portion after the link.

19. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Doesn't a combination of speed and alchohol gives you berserkergang? I remember seeing a dopefiend going apeshit on Cops. He thought he could tore up a car with his hands.

20. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Hitler?? Drugs?? How can that be???? :p LOL. That has been well discussed before :).