Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dunkirk

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by stgrhe, Jun 29, 2017.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

You could tell one story line, I guess.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I am very forgiving of directors and their angle/slant on the story they wish to tell. But this was freaking Dunkirk, 400,000 troops were on a beach, each thinking he'd die or end up in a prison camp. The skyline was smoke from hundreds of burning buildings, the audio was artillery and small arms fire. The mood was barely controlled panic.
    I loved the individual tales that Nolan came up with to illustrate the different stories of men in different circumstances. That (in my opinion) was well done. Each man's war is a different war, seen only through his own eyes. But one thing shared by all those men was the backdrop of smoke, gunfire and as the days passed, the stench of rotting corpses. One might also point out the French and British troops fighting to hold back that shrinking noose of German troops.

That is inexcusable. Each scene inland could have used CGI to darken those skies with the smoke of battle, each audio could have included the muted sounds of guns, each sweeping scene of the beach could have shown 300,000 men instead of of a few hundred in neat queues. All done with the incredible magic of modern CGI.

Nolan could have told those men's interesting stories in the same way, but added the chaos of that apocalypse in the background without losing a thing, but in fact elevating the film to a much higher level.

Loved the film,but it could have been so much more. One could argue that Normandy didn't turn the tide of war, but that Dunkirk did. Yet, you'd never know that from this film.

3. OpanaPointer

The French manning the barricades as Our Hero makes it to the beach informed me. Even Boss Lady recognized their helmets.

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I suspect there were more than a dozen French troops holding that perimeter against the Germans. Even with the vaunted French elan, I suspect you need at least three dozen French troopers.

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member Patron  

I need to watch this movie again.

6. OpanaPointer

Do you have a picture of all those thousands? Would it have been relevant to one guy shagging it for the coast? How many French troops did you count in the movie?

7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

There's a good photo in Post #121, and you can google hundreds of others. The backdrop to Nolan's movie doesn't do the real thing justice. I suppose I can forgive him leaving out the thousands of French and British soldiers holding the perimeter, but even a few quick scenes would have been enough to honor those men who knew they weren't getting out and fought anyway.

It was crowded, smoky, dirty and didn't smell none too good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. OpanaPointer

I was asking about the ones in the movie. I have seen pictures of the actual scene once or twice. Visited the beach in '73.