Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dutch SEEHUND doc. on internet

Discussion in 'Submarines and ASW Technology' started by Stevin, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Stevin

Stevin Ace

OK, it will help if you understand Dutch, but the documentary about the SEEHUND U-5097, commanded by Hans Wachsmuth, that was broadcasted April 2, can now be seen on-line.

http://www.vpro.nl/programma/anderetijden/index.shtml?2785571+2899536+4032529+5681778

You will need RealPlayer. Click on the first option beneath the greenish picture of a sunken U boat. The doc. also show historical footage of the SEEHUND, Festung IJmuiden where they were stationed and an interview with Hans Wachsmuth (in German) and Herrn Mattes (in Dutch).

Besides the doc. itself it has some indepth info, again, unfortunately only in Dutch.

So you out there with 30 minutes to spare and a broadband connection...

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks fro the link Stevin--I just tried to see it using the libraries cheapo computers but it wouldnt work even though they have the correct media players. Im going to try to see it when I go to an Internet Cafe later tomorrow--to see if their computers will let me access it.

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I taped it on videotape but we got PAL system here in Europe.

I contacted the program makers and asked if there is a possibility that I can download the doc. so I can put it on CDRom. Haven't heard from them yet.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

CDrom would be a great deal--I can use those at the one and only Internet Cafe here in Corpus Christi. I have some CDs that have German Uboat newsreels on them that are from the vets themselves who filmed it. These come from a U 181 vet who also loaned or gave his footage to the Uboat archiv in Cuxhaven/Altenbruch, Germany.

Trouble is, I can get sound but no pic--due to an error in the computers programming. Anyway--there are "home movies" that show Wolfgang Luth--Hitler--the U 181 men etc. There are only 5 copies of this worldwide.

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Stevin though it has been sometime has anything more been found/documented on this boat and the small crew ? I think you mentioned you were going to try and get a private interview with the skipper of this little boat ?

I remain interested.......

~E~

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

8. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Add the Dutch Coastal Defense Museum at Hoek van Holland to the last list Erich. Wachmuth's Seehund was donated to this museum. They are restoring them now. I wrote a reply to your Q about it somewhere else here on the forums....can't seem to find it now....

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Stevin check through the main forum-Atlantic theater and type or check the rectangle box and look for all postings and punch that up. that should take you back to the beginnings which was in 2001........it should be there. Not sure which one it was though.
    I am really thinking seriously of buying that German edition on the midget sub in January's end although in German. you had chatted with Klaus before I beleive as he wanted someone to translate into English but no word Richtig ? :D [​IMG]

~E

10. Stevin

Stevin Ace

You keep twisting my arm on this one...Well, maybe it will be a nice career-change...Haven't been in touch with Klaus (although his Dutch is really good, I noticed). Maybe he should go the way Ulrich went with the TOGO book.... :rolleyes:

Ahw well, the year is young and full of rest...Maybe think about this as a good New Year resolution... :eek:

Found the thread. You already saw it though. http://www.ww2forums.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000026;p=1

[ 01. January 2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Stevin Oudshoorn ]

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Stevin with your permission I am going to send a good wishes notation to him this afternoon and see if he replies to it by Sunday. What do you think ?

thanks for the link and keep adding new ones on the midget subs if you finda any please
    ~E

12. Stevin

Stevin Ace

No problem Erich!

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

geez almost a year old now.

Stevin any more word on this midget sub and it's commander or have they gone into obscurity ?

Erich

14. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Haven't been able to find anything on it yet, Erich. I have e-mailes the museum that is doing it up. See what they say. I lost all my information in last year's pc crash extravaganze, but will see if I can get any info on Herr Wachsmuth.