Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ellie Wiesel (1928-2016)

Discussion in 'WWII Era Obituaries (non-military service)' started by Otto, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Elie Wiesel, Auschwitz Survivor and Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Dies at 87

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/03/world/europe/elie-wiesel-auschwitz-survivor-and-nobel-peace-prize-winner-dies-at-87.html?_r=0

"Wiesel first gained attention in 1960 with the English translation of “Night,” his autobiographical account of the horrors he witnessed in the camps as a 15-year-old boy. He wrote of how he had been plagued by guilt for having survived while millions died, and tormented by doubts about a God who would allow such slaughter."

Part of a grade school history lesson, Night was the first book I read about the Shoa. It always left an impression on me, as it was a straight, candid description of events written without brow beating the German oppressors.

On an interesting related note, I just arrived in North Carolina visiting my excellent in-laws. When I walked in the door this morning, I saw this sitting on the table, a gift from my mother in-law intended for the long drive home. It was especially significant after I heard the news of Mr. Wiesel's passing shortly afterward.

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776, KodiakBeer, GRW and 2 others like this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A great book and a great man. RIP :poppy:

3. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I had the opportunity to hear him speak when he came to Xavier University a few years ago. I was in awe when I was listening to him. One of the things that I remember him talking about was about how when the camp was liberated the soldiers were giving out pork, which in accordance with Jewish traditions, Jews cannot have. However it was the only thing they were handing out at that time so the liberated prisoners saw no problem in eating the pork. A very inspiring man. He inspired many generations to come; including mine. He was a major advocate and promoter of peace and never stopped advocating for many others. He was an inspiration to me and this world. I know and I continue to pray that his teachings will live on into eternity. May this humble, inspiring and very admirable man rest in peace.

:poppy: :poppy: :poppy:

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

5. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

May he R.I.P. :poppy:

6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

An amazing man and a great legacy. Be at peace, Mr. Wiesel. :poppy:

"I decided to devote my life to telling the story because I felt that having survived I owe something to the dead, and anyone who does not remember betrays them again." -- Elie Wiesel

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  7. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

RIP. Great man indeed.