Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

England Team Should Pay their Own Way Home!

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Rlean, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Rlean

Rlean Repeat Offender

Thats it!....I've seen enough of england!

Their performance has been so dismal. And from professionals from the best football league in the world? It's a disgrace!

I now propose that funding for these people, provided by the ordinary taxpayer, be WITHDRAWN. These 'professionals' earn more money in a season than most of us will in thirty years, so I'm angry that WE are subsidizing their HUGE paypackets with our more than modets earnings.

In future, the england team, (note the lower case letters), the england team should pay all of their own expenses. Hotel bills, food fuel, taxifares, sightseeing, training aids, visas, phonebills....the LOT.

They can afford it.

The long suffering British taxpayer cannot.

IF they can win the bloody tournament, we'll be happy to pick up the tab. It will be the price we can pay for the enhancement of the national pride, and the money that will roll back into the country from it.

But if they lose AGAIN, they can dip into their copious bank accounts and start paying out. Why should the taxpayer foot the bill for their lack of effort and tawdry performance?

What say you guys? laughing as you are at england. The last time they won this tourney was in 1966, when Bobby Charlton still had hair. I have sugessted that we resurrect Bobby's hairpiece as a talisman, hoisted banner style and furled in front of the team at all it's fixtures. It will be a reminder of what a WINNER looks like.

Damn and blast that English team. Pay your own way home ya bums!

Skipper likes this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

mate...dont you lve in Australia? How much tax you paying? The bloody socceroos should stay where they are too...

3. Rlean

Rlean Repeat Offender

Sorry old boy....i'm an expat englishman, permanently living in God's own country, and married de facto to a woman from god's other country, New Zealand.

I'm merely speaking on behalf of the long suffering British fan/taxpayer....of course we know how they feel, having such a God awful Soccer team ourselves. At least the poms can say theyve won the tournament. All our boys can claim is that theyve got exciting hair-dos, and football contracts everwhere but our A-League.

Our bloody Socceroos should pay their own tickets home as well. My historical model for this is the Pacific War. The Allies had to pay for the reconstruction of the Japanese nation, and we were the winners. Similarly, only winning teams should be subsidized by the taxpayer.....these player earn big bucks! Spend some of it, ya bastards!

Alternatively, why not simply SWAP the Socceroos for Brazilian people desperate to get out of Rio? There would be plenty of takers....

By GUM I'm mad....BOTH my teams went out without winning a wazzoo!

CAC likes this.
  4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

What's a Socceroo? Something like a full back?

5. Rlean

Rlean Repeat Offender

A socceroo is a soccer fan that goes "OO" when our team fails to perform, which is often.

Maybe we should get the teams to pay the tickets home of all the disappointed fans they let down, stuck in some fevela with a crack habit and no money!

DAMN the soccer-oos!

6. green slime

green slime Member

As far as I'm concerned, they can kill off FIFA, and ban soccer worldwide. Hollywood actors have no part to play in sport.

Soccer players earn far too much money, for falling down when in the penalty box. Too much poncing around and "Ooh! he nearly bumped me!" Real men don't act out to gain an undeserved advantage.
    Additionally, 90 minutes on the field and a score that a two year-old can count to.

Take up a proper sport, like rugby, or Ice hockey, I say. Soccer disgusts me.

GRW and A-58 like this.
  7. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

It is a rather boring game. I've tried watching it, and even when drinking it is still lame. It does need a little ramping up to be considered a manly game.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yeah..the problem with soccer is that you can get everything together, pay lots of money...travel to the oval and leave without a single bloody point! In my opinion, many of the riots that occur around this otherwise peaceful game stems from the lack of a release for the crowd...built up, built up and no release...i chased a women like that once...or twice.

Slipdigit likes this.
  9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Yeah back in the 90s there was this ongoing skit on Saturday Night Live called "Scottish Hooligan Soccer Fans." It made fun of the way certain fans behaved when they traveled to other stadiums to watch their teams play. Pretty good too. Mike Myers created the skit I believe. It outlines the sentiment of what you said to exactly to the point. I never thought of it that way, but you're right, there's no release of emotions in many soccer games. For example in American Football there's plenty of hooping and hollering during the game since it moves much faster.

10. Rlean

Rlean Repeat Offender

I concur....David Beckham began to leave me cold when he started to worry more about his hair-style than about his ability to score for England. One has to wonder what soccer would be like on a regular weekly pay cheque like the rest of us. Much of the infrastructure that enables a crowd of 80,000 people to congregate at obe spot just to watch a game is taxpayer funded, as is all the bills that come from the damage those idiots do when their team loses. I don't see the clubs lining up to foot the bill for the antics of their fans.

when I lived in england in 1973, my step-father sent a coupon in to a paper called 'The Sun' for his free "Guide to the Football Season". when it arrived, it turned out to be written by in house journalists working for the 'Sun", and their sports editor introduced the 'guide' on the very first page. It began thus.....

"Hello footbal fans everywhere. Welcome to The Sun Football guide for 1973.
    Once again, our fans are the mugs of Europe....."

I still remember the suprised look on my steppie's face when he read it. It had never occurred to him that the people who supported his beloved Southampton could be referred to as 'mugs'. "Bloody spurs supporters again!" he growled. With soccer supporters, it's always someone elses team!

11. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Where does David Beckham play now? He used to play in California somewhere but I haven't heard much about him lately. Not since the London Olympics anyway.

12. ptimms

ptimms Member

I am thoroughly pissed by the England team but must point out they are funded by the FA which doesn't get much tax payers money and most of that is from the lottery. Also the money mainly goes to grass roots Football not the England team. If you want to see tax payers really getting fleeced read about the NFL.

GRW likes this.
  13. Rlean

Rlean Repeat Offender

oh...SOD! Theres my thunder gone!

My original beef was the taxpayer funded World Cup. Surely being a national entity, the funding must come from the long suffering serfs of the kingdom?

On behalf of all serfdom everywhere in England, I say GIVE BACK THE FUNDING for the World Cup Squad! It's a disgrace. We need Wat Tyler resurrected to confront the powers that Be in football, and threaten a revolt from the grassroots if our own Soccer Magna Charta isn't signed immediately.

Oh sod it! The buggers will most likely call in the Fyrdmen and the Housecarls, rob us of our new Wat Tyler, and disperse us all with a kick up the arse. History repeats itself, eh Wat?

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Soccer and history...what a treat! English teams are still the champions of the sport...they just need to play a different brand of footy than they are used to...domestic and international are different animals...difficult to concentrate on both brands. A consistent and well respected coach goes a long way too...someone English. Watch the teams that win and see the brand they play...quick, expansive, always pushing the opposition to make a mistake then be ready to capitilise...Hang on, thats Australian sport im talking about, sorry.

15. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Oh and go Liverpool!

16. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

Your family read the Sun?

Ahhh, that explains a lot.

-_-

17. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Australian Rules Football. Now that is a game to watch. I wish it still came on TV here.

Lots of scoring, running around, jumping up and down, bouncing the ball and bloody noses. Plus the added bonus of men in white blazers and fedoras marking goals to add a touch of savoir faire.

18. Rlean

Rlean Repeat Offender

Look...dbf made a funny! What a privelage to see such a professional comedian at the top of his craft. Why don't you turn pro and do stand up for a living? We might even hear a real opinion out of you.....but don't lawyers ALWAYS sit on the fence?

As for "The Sun", compared to Australian newspapers, that tabloid rag makes The Sydney Morning Herald look like a Peppa Pig Colouring Book.

Australians don't know what good journalism is. And neither, it seems does our old mate Dbf.

19. Rlean

Rlean Repeat Offender

Yes Mr Slip.....we in Australia that are followers of the code of Rugby, (Union or League), refer to Australian rules Football as "Cross Country Basketball" or "Aeriel Ping Pong".

I find it to be an aquired taste

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It's all a merry go round. When the French won in 1998 and in 2000 they ended up acting like rockstars with interviews, babes and four star hotels. As a results they performed like crap in South Africa. Spain followed the same path. The lost the lust to win, acted like rock stars too and got their asses kicked to the point that Spain is now written 5pa1N. Then they lost again and will be flying home. The UK team is not worse , nor better than any other, they are spoiled rockstars too .