Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Epoxy Resin Diorama - U-Boat meets her demise.

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by CAC, Jun 23, 2022.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Discovered this today...A model submarine built to look like it has been depth charged...The maker created everything himself except the sub itself.

[​IMG]

He goes through this step by step...

Ruud, Carronade, Kai-Petri and 2 others like this.
  2. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Ich hatt einen kameraden.

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

You could use this process for almost any diorama…I’d use 1/44 at least but you could have a howitzer crew firing…a tank firing, flames gushing out…even WW2 fighters firing at angle, spitting red and orange flame from the cannons…An explosion on a battle field with victims suspended in air being thrown by the blast etc etc…
    I’d have a switch to have the lights turn on and off intermittently also…

I do have a couple of nit picks about this diorama…not quite perfect.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I like the hedghog U-boat weapon . Am I wrong but the version seems to be even today in RN destroyers.

5. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Sorry, but the only antisubmarine weapons mounted on RN ships these days are torpedo tubes, and some don't even have those those. They rely primarily on helicopters for ASW, which is a great way to do it, but I do think they should have an option for when the helo is not immediately available. Incidentally ship-launched torpedos in most navies these days are the same type carried by helos, 12.75" or similar.

Through the Leander class, built 1960s, retired 1990s, the RN used the Limbo antisubmarine mortar, which could fire depth charges out to about 1000 yards. This was an improvement on the Squid, the most advanced antisubmarine weapon of WWII. These differed from the Hedgehog in that the charges were set to explode at a particular depth; they were used in conjunction with sonars like the Type 147 which could determine a sub's depth. Hedgehog fired a pattern of 24 small bombs which detonated only on contact.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

To be honest I watched " the war ship " tv series ( UK) and they had a openings of some 20 altogether in the frontal area, and I did not know what they were. Perhaps rockets.

7. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Do you know what ship they were showing? If it was a modern Type 23 Duke class, they have 32 vertical launch tubes for Seawolf air defence missiles forward of the bridge, with little round covers.

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

HMS Duncan , type 45 ( D37)or Daring-class.
    The document shows Russian intelligence ship for instance sailing above the network cable. I was surprised the Duncan had so many problems etc the radar went down and later the engines started smoking or was it only for the film?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  9. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Ah, Type 45 also has VLS forward, for Aster missiles. Duncan and her sisters have had serious problems with their innovative integrated electrical propulsion system.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Cheers and thanx Carronade!