Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Euro 2016

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by YugoslavPartisan, Jun 10, 2016.

1. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

I love Lineker's quotes. Well, yours if he stole them from you. :)

2. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

You think that Russia getting to host the World Cup is because of corruption? Why?

3. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

France and Switzerland secured their place in the 1/8 finals yesterday.

4. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru Patron  

The ongoing investigation into FIFA corruption, articles like this one: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/fifa-corruption-scandal-sepp-blatter-reveals-agreement-in-place-for-russia-to-host-2018-world-cup-a6712061.html , the fact that Russia cheats/bribes at everything (doping in the Olympics, being 'awarded' the Winter Olympics in a place that doesn't even get snow...gee, I wonder how they pulled that off), the current political state (IE. invasion of the Ukraine) etc. Especially now that Russian Ultras are getting world-wide attention for the first time. Russia isn't exactly a soccer powerhouse either and doesn't have a rich history of soccer. Same with Qatar - the only reason its going there is because someone paid someone else a whole lot of $$$$ to do so.

Back to the Euros - I am eager for these last games to conclude so that we can see who will be matched with who during the next round. And I absolutely love whats happened to Portugal again! Mr. Ego Ronaldo choking on his own words, especially after fluffing a PK!

5. Owen

Owen O Patron  

Of my 4 grandparents 3 were English [all from Wiltshire] & 1 was Welsh.

To wind my mate up at work, who takes the mickey out of my part-Welshness I'm enjoying pointing out who is top of the group.

6. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Well I can't say that I disagree with you concerning politics having no place in sports. Unfortunately not everyone sees it that way. Take Eurovision for example, Ukraine winning using an unoriginal song with political connotation (a double no no) wasn't politically motivated? Or Australia coming in second? A country that's not even in Europe... Russia certainly isn't the only country guilty of such. To claim, however; that Russia "bribes and cheats at everything" isn't a fact at all and is actually quite an offensive generalization. Melodium for example wasn't considered "doping" 1-2 years ago. Maria Sharopova for example has been taking the drug for years to help with a known heart problem I believe not improve her play. Either way those found guilty are banned and will have to live with that and make changes but let's not crucify the entire country shall we? Russia isn't the only country with doping issues and certainly not the last. Seems this has become the way of sports these days. Just ask Jose Canseco or Marion Jones ;)

Yes Russia is definitely no powerhouse in soccer :D Eurocup has shown this but neither is South Africa. Should these countries never host such an event? It is the "World Cup" after all.

I'm with you on the missed PK by Ronaldo. I see many sleepless nights ahead for him if Portugal fails to qualify.
    Italy has been refreshing to watch. Hope they keep it up unlike their previous (IMO) slow and uneventful plays. Iceland (a team with little to no soccer roots) has played well. Can they keep it up?

7. Mussolini

South Africa bribed the..I forget which country...official with 10 - 14 million $$ to have him and a few other people cast their vote for South Africa (or so he claims) over Morocco. That article I linked also describes the Russia and Qatar reasons - the latter being clearly a bribe. Tell me, how does one play soccer in 120'f heat in a desert? It makes no sense bringing the WC there. That drug you refer to - she was not taking it in the prescribed manner. She knew exactly what she was doing with it, receiving a benefit in recovery by taking it. Its interesting, to me, that said drug is manufactured in Russia/Eastern Europe and mostly only used there by people. And you're going to tell me, with the Russian Olympic doping, that the Government wasn't aware? Russia is a 'win at all costs' kinda place and has been for a while.

-----

Watching the Welsh game vs Russia was quite fun. My dad was a Welshman, his favorite player being Ramsey (also being an Arsenal Fan) so it was great to see Ramsey get on the scoresheet with the first goal. The Russians put on one of the worst Int'l displays to date...they basically gave up. Shamed themselves and their country and the sport, especially when you add in their Ultra Fans. Glad to see them dropping out and one can imagine that they'll be the first host nation in the WC not to make it out of the group stage unless they drastically change in the next 2 years (doubtful).

I love seeing Ronaldo choke on his own words, but so far Portugal is playing on par with how they typically do at tournaments.

I expect Poland and Germany to win and advance today. Spain and the Czechs to win as well.

8. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Croatia 2-1 Spain

An amazing win for Croatia and a 1st place for us in the group. :D

TIRDAD likes this.
  9. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

You have to love Irish fans.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsU-fHcIppI

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Spain going out was quite a surprise. Then again winning almost everything previously might make you satisfied.

11. Mussolini

Spain are still in it.

Great Midfield, but not much threat upfront. I think the game vs Italy should be an interesting one.

Swiss vs Poland - A tough one, but I think the Swiss will pull off the win.
    Wales vs N.Ire - Wales! Been rooting for them (Ramsey) the whole time and I would expect them to win this one.
    Croatia vs Portugal - As much as I hate Ronaldo, I see Portugal eeking out the win here.
    France vs Ireland - As great as it would be for Eire to advance, I don't see them beating the Hosts.
    Germany vs Slovakia - Not a stellar tournament for Germany so far, but I don't see them losing.
    Hungary vs Belgium - I think this will be a closer game then you would expect, but I think Belgium wins this one.
    Italy vs Spain - Could swing either way but I think the Spanish Midfield will outduel the Italians and win this one.
    England vs Iceland - Probably the (theoretically) easiest draw of them all, one would expect England to win...but this is England we're talking about so maybe an Icelandic upset.

12. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

We've got the first 1/4 finals team. Poland beat Switzerland in the penalty shootout. 1-1 was the score and 5-4 in the penalties.

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

Watched the Portugal-Croatia match. Neither side distinguished itself. Ronaldo was invisible for most of the match, even though he assisted on the winning goal in the 117th minute. He had fewer than 35 touches in the whole match.

14. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

We were unlucky. Domagoj Vida missed 3 goal scoring opportunities which Quaresma punished in the 117th minute. It was a rather boring game to be honest. Congratulations to Portugal from a Croatian fan!

15. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Poland over Switzerland in PK was a shocker....

Croatia came to play in the match vs Portugal. A great game but it was ultimately Portugal which came out victorious...

16. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I agree, playing any kind of support especially the one as physically demanding as soccer in 120 degree heat is simply dangerous.

I don't know enough to comment on the matter of the Russian team doping. I do know, however; that far from everybody was using the drug and the Govt was not in on it. I also am not familiar with how Maria was administering the drug but I'm sure this will all come out with time. I will say that not much is know about Melodium and it only became banned very recently with many athletes who were taking it were even aware that it became banned. Again, I believe that with time more and more will become public.

Fun for you but incredibly frustrating for me. These guys don't deserve to receive the salaries which they do. The whole Russiam soccer team was a disgrace and many in Russia are calling on Putin to actually disband the Russian team and start from scratch. Two goals in three games is just unacceptable. Seems the Russians came to fight not play. Shameful all around if you ask me.

Ronaldo earned his pay today against Croatia... Great game.

Bye bye Spain. Can't say I'm upset.

17. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

England vs Iceland - if we don't give them the hammering we've threatened to give everybody else we've played then Hodgson deserves to go!

18. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Joachim Löw continues with his habbits. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKS-6WjYHB4

19. TIRDAD

TIRDAD Active Member

very interesting match...

i wached game on post...

( i am a soldier, currently)

20. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Thanks! It really was an interesting match. The whole Croatia celebrated until the morning and especially in the caffe bar which is owned by a family of my friend Ante Ćorić who plays for the Croatian national team. :) Too bad he haven't played for Croatia on this Championship.