Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Eurovision Song Contest...

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by CAC, Feb 10, 2015.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Woke up today to hear Australia has been invited to compete in this years Eurovision song contest...A contest originally designed to lessen the divide of the Iron Curtain in Europe. Australia has been watching the contest for decades (and has always wanted to vote) - It was Australia that gave ABBA its first number one and made the rest of the world take notice...We had the Northern Territory's own Jessica Mouboy invited to sing at last years contest, but only as a guest performer (Jess and i went to the same primary school!)
    But this year we have been invited to compete and even given a straight run into the finals...Look out Europe! The Aussies are coming!

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

now that you mention it, ABBA came from a non-english country...and did well over here [US, Australia, etc ]... as I said in my other thread, I respect the language skills of you all [ non-english ]...also, [if I may add? ] there seems to be a lot of great Aussie actors/actresses...what's going on down there??

3. green slime

green slime Member

ABBA came from Sweden.

ABBA had charted (4) in Japan, and of course number oned in Sweden prior to Oz. They were deliberately targeting the Anglosaxon world.

4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

money money

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Out of underestimating themselves...their management sent the demos around the world but wasn't listened to...Molly Meldrum of Countdown fame saw them on Eurovision and made sure they were played on Countdown, it then went to number one in Australia...and New Zealand, the U.S. and Britain even started playing it on the radio...the rest is history...even ABBA themselves credit Molly or Countdown for the beginnings of their worldwide success...
    As for actors, I think NIDA has a more demanding regimine than the U.S. counterparts, or at least that's what I've heard...our actors are expected to come out of school and do anything from a children's program to a tap dance routine whilst singing...also, our productions are smaller, our celebrity pool,is small, so we don't really have a deva culture...instead a working culture...no one gets big bickies in Australia, so the Aussie actors really put in when in America...I should say that there a plenty of Kiwis doing it too...though they seem to be music freaks...half of Australia's music history has got its roots in either Scotland or New Zealand...with a splash of Pom...

6. green slime

green slime Member

I don't think that many people this side of the black stump are going to get your reference to bickies...

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Bickies...biscuits...baked twice...cookies!

8. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

I would think it goes back to the Aussie culture/''roots''

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

10. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

You gave us Nicole Kidman so good on ya. She's enough.

And of course we all know what the other side of the black stump means ??????????????

11. green slime

green slime Member

That's why I used the reference! ;)

It's not just you Northerners that can speak doubleplusgood obscurantism.

12. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

and still going strong, their latest 'Scare Force One' worth getting. just got their 'Zombilation' album....yep I think we can say the only decent band to come out of Eurovision! God only knows what the Aussies will send over...

Kai-Petri likes this.
  13. lwd

lwd Ace

My grandmother was well noted for her biscuits but she would have been horified at the concept of baking them twice and they certainly weren't cookies.

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

The black stump is somewhere on the SA/VIC border i do beleive...or at least they are claiming it!...Nicole Kidman! More wooden than Balanglo Forest...And terrible taste in men...i liked her when she was a super curly blood nut. And yes Bronk...we Aussies like our "roots"... : )

15. green slime

green slime Member

Yes, even more than the Americans like their "rubbers".

Ah, the vagaries of a common tongue.

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Bronk..."root" means sex in Australia...

Did you get a root?
    I need a root...
    I didnt root her!

If you're a bit like me, you may even be called a Wombat...what does a wombat do? Eats roots and leaves...

17. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

what?? are you kidding?? I just looked it up.........<>!!!

18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

The Aussies competed in the Eurovision Song Contest last night...and in our very first outing scored 5TH! Sweden took the gong with a very cool song "heroes"...This song already top of the charts in Sweden and Australia's song number two in Sweden...the winner wants to do a duet with our competitor Guy Sebastian...We scored about 180 points...Britain received....5 points.
    Germany and Austria got the dreaded 0...

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Finland got a punk band there...We got nice publicity but I guess after winning the thing in 2006 I can never be too dissatisfied. Hell is frozen. Nice song from Sweden but I heard the singer had put in the net a photo of him wearing the Albania flag(?) underneath his feet...?? Not there anymore I read.

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The Eurosong festival is for bored and/or retired people who got tired of doing their crosswords. Nobody under 50 actually watches the competion. It fit well with the miss elections too.