Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Eva Braun´s jewels

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Kai-Petri, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

According to some sources Eva Braun gave her jewels to Dr Morelli who left the Bunker about 22-23 April 1945. He was supposed to give these to Eva´s family to help through the rough times that were coming. I have not found anything on what happened to these jewels. ANybody know? Did Dr Morelli keep them and sell them? Or did he give them to Eva´s family?

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I guess they have been sold to someone who has them in private collection.

Other cases:

In 1946, for example, COL Jack Durant and his wife, CPT Kathleen Nash, were court-martialed for stealing jewels belong to the House of Hesse. These "crown" jewels, worth millions of dollars, had been discovered the year previously by CPT Nash in Schloss Friederishoff. The Hesse family had hidden the jewels in this schloss, their family's castle, for safekeeping. After Nash discovered the hiding place, however, she, Durant, and another officer smuggled the jewels to the United States. At trial, all three accuseds claimed that, as looting was commonplace in Occupied Germany, their misconduct should be excused. The court members were unconvinced. Durant received 15 years in jail. Nash received five years. Much of the Hesse treasure was never found---and remains unrecovered.

http://www.gordon.army.mil/osja/history.htm

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Don´t know about the jewels but I guess I found Morell. In E Kempka´s book he mentions having seen Dr Morelli in several camps and later on says that the doctor died on 28th May 1948 in Rottach am Tegernsee.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Dr Morell died on May 16, 1948, at Tegernsee in Allied captivity.
    From "Guarding the Fuhrer" By Blaine Taylor