Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Excuse for German attack on Poland?

Discussion in 'Prelude to War & Poland 1939' started by General_Patton, Sep 23, 2010.

1. General_Patton

General_Patton Member

I have heard of this reason of this excuse for Germany to declare war on Poland. The reason that i heard is that Germany executed some of their prisoners that were already in prison and put those people into Polish uniforms. Then, they placed the bodies outside of a German radio station claiming that the Polish attacked them so they had every reason to declare war on Poland.

So i was just wondering if this has already been confirmed by some other sources or if this reason is false.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Shirer mentions this in Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, if I remember correctly.

ETA: The operation's name has been mentioned here before.

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Hello General,

Yes, what you have heard is true. This event is reffered to as the Gleiwitz Incident. A google search of this turns up numerous results. It seems at the time the "attack" was viewed as a German fake (TIME magainze article from 1940 as proof is listed below)

Gleiwitz incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Blitzkrieg September 1, 1939: a new kind of warfare engulfs Poland - TIME
    Radio-station in Gleiwitz

On a slightly different note, while pulling up these websites, I found that there were numerous "commando" operations conducted by the Germans behind Polish lines in the leadup to the invasion. I wasn't aware of this - I guess we learn something new everyday.

4. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Apparently there were numerous propaganda based incidents inside Poland - wikipedia says 21 of a variety ranging from house burnings to the Gleiwitz incident - I haven't found any references to true 'Commando' type raids with a direct military purpose anywhere, although it would seem to be a good idea and easily achievable given the ethnic mix in the border regions.

5. George Patton

Perhaps "commando" wasn't the right term to use. Most seem to be ordinary sabotage (some are borderline terrorism), and as you said, without a direct military purpose. So far, this is the one exception to that I have found: Jabłonków Incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know Wikipedia isn't exactly the most desirable source, but this is the most complete account I can find on the internet right now. I have also seen references to this a few times on Amazon and Google Books.

6. OpanaPointer

I'm processing Documents on the Events Preceding the Outbreak of the War, from the Aüswartigesamt. They list multiple incidents there. (I hope to have it online by next week.)

7. George Patton

Great. I was unaware of most of these actions, and would like to brush up on them. I'll be sure to check for it.

8. OpanaPointer

~ 600 pages of documents. The German White Book is also valuable for this. I'll try to put that online later today. (I'm going to start a section entitled "The Color Book Wars" to group that lot.)

9. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Here is a pretty concise overview of operations "Canned Goods/ Konserve" and "Himmler"

10. OpanaPointer

Implying a link of some kind? :D

formerjughead likes this.
  11. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Wasn't Canned goods an incorrect operation name for op Himmler after the prisoners that were executed being called 'canned goods'?

I look forward to reading more when you post it - incidentally does anyone have much info on why the Germans did not use parachute or glider troops in the opening of the Polish campaign - obviously they were used effectively in Scandinavia and the low countries, and it would seem that they could have been very useful ahead of the German advance into Poland?

formerjughead likes this.
  12. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Absolutely correct

Operation Himmler and the "Canned Goods"

13. George Patton

Sounds intriguing, but I am sure you know white isn't a colour! :eyebrows: Perhaps 'The Color (and shade) Book Wars" would be more appropriate :D

14. OpanaPointer

Ich yust post 'em, nein namen buchs!

15. George Patton

Gut gesagt! Ihre namen sind trocken, aren't they? 'Case White', 'Case Red', Wacht am Rhine' - compare those to 'Overlord', 'Downfall', 'Iceberg', 'Shingle'.

16. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Don't forget the inspired 'Case Yellow' and 'Case Green' and the unfeasibly original 'Case Blue' :)

17. OpanaPointer

The color books are Blue, for England, Yellow for France, White for German, and, erm, White for the US. (That one is not completely "official".) I have the Polish color book, but I'm researching the provenance on it, so no commitment there just yet.

18. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Are the German color books roughly campaign plans, much like the USN rainbow plans? (Should look into that, but associating the colors with different countries suggests that to me.) Some specific German operational names were quite poetic. I'm particularly fond of Rosselsprung und Paukenschlag. For the record, Pauken aren't just any old drums; they're timpani. Thus Paukenschlagen are particularly ominous and lovely. I'm all about the timps.

19. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Not just complete countries every time - some large operations in the same country were called by different colours - Example 'Fall Blau' was the 1942 summer offensive in Southern Russia.

20. OpanaPointer

The Color Books I'm familiar with are purely political, justifying each country's actions prior to Sept. 1, 1939 (or prior to Dec. 7, 1941 in one case). The Color Plans are not the Color Books.

Spartanroller likes this.