Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

F-16 flies into its own bullets during military exercise

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by CAC, Apr 10, 2019.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Fox 5!

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

this sounds like a job for Elon musk. lol.
    Tesla auto pilot would have prevented.

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Now that's true comedy!

But...No.
    A Tesla slams into a fire truck - How the hell do you not detect or see a Fire truck - Tesla says ""intended for use only with a fully attentive driver.”
    Intended for use only with a fully attentive driver? Defeats the purpose of "autopilot." doncha think.

A Tesla slams into a Semi - Tesla responds that the Autopilot could not differentiate between the White colored tractor trailer and the bright sky.
    Ok...Everyone who has driven with the sun in your eyes while wearing sunglasses raise your hands...It's called a camera filter.

After Several Deaths, Tesla Is Still Sending Mixed Messages About Autopilot
    A F-35 with a Tesla Autopilot slams into the ground...Tesla responds that the crash was due to the fact that the Autopilot could not differentiate between the ground and the sky because of radar ground clutter.

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Elon is a product of lefty.
    pretty on the outside, but all spiders and snakes inside.
    batteries are horrible, with the rare earth and associated slave labour.
    just like solar.
    we have oil and coal functioning at the best they have ever been.
    but, you know, al gore etc.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Oh Poppy...im not a lefty yet totally support renewables...its the financial elite (the real enemy) who have suppressed this kind of tech for decades...Do you want to be a slave to power companies for ever? Do you think you should be? Just see what happens when the power goes out...one is suddenly back in the stone age. Not something I want in the hands of other people, especially those who don't have my best interest at heart.
    Think of the auto-pilot like cruise control in your car for decades...you still need to watch the road and press the brake if needed. True autominous cars are coming but not here yet and will be pretty different from a standard car.
    "Batteries are horrible" - Battery technology is the future of energy and should be...it astounds me how far behind we are with such technology (financial elites again?)

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

sorry cac, we must disagree.
    batteries may be the future, but not for Tesla.
    look at the battery packs.
    hundreds of c(?), d (?) cells in series.
    fire departments are not capable of dealing with these types of fires.
    packs keep reigniting after crashes.
    indeed, what's the point of autopilot if you have to stay alert with hands on wheel.
    Tesla is a very bad idea. if I knew how to short a stock, I'd put all i could into Tesla fail.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Tesla is going to get quite a bit of competition very soon...And im sure the short falls of batteries will be addressed in time...I remember when people said similar things about LPG in cars...Fortunately there are many more companies than Tesla, and more CEOs than Musk...

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

musk was a governmental gift. if it weren't for subsidies, Tesla would never have left the ground.
    but oil bad, electric good.
    that's how media is playing it.
    who controls media

10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

renewable batteries. just dust them off, and repack.

lots of pollution, man.

oil and coal are by far the most clean.

our oil sands- ( which have always been maligned in media - fueled by OPEC members) could supply needed energy.
    blood oil
    or
    oil sands.
    answer is clear.

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Australia has bulk Lithium...you gonna deny us our place in the world!

12. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Self driving cars are by far safer than human drivers. Yes people have died in self driving cars, but tens of thousands are killed by human error annually. Deaths to self driving cars are so rare each one is reported, where regular vehicular death is so mundanely common we ignore it. The reality is that self driving cars don't have to be perfect, they just have to be better than human drivers, and they are orders of magnitude safer than humans. And, the more self driving cars there are one the road, the better they work together. Ultimately the insurance market will drive more and more people to the safer, faster option which is driverless cars.

Battery power is another matter. Tesla just happens to use that as the power plant of heir direverless cars.

CAC likes this.
  13. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Returning to the original topic...

I'm genuinely puzzled about how this might happen. Is the article suggesting that the aircraft fired rounds and then caught up with the burst and ran into them? Were they ricochetes off the ground maybe? I guess I can see a scenario where the rounds begin to tumble and lose speed, but It seems less likely they would hit the aircraft with enough force to damage it.

Then again, who knows what happens at those height speeds. I recently watched a video where a Russian 152mm projectile was deflected by a watermelon, who knows what happens to a 20mm round fired by an aircraft which is itself traveling near the speed of sound.

14. green slime

green slime Member

That's a video I want to see (152mm shell deflected by watermelon); I may need to plant watermelons on my roof...

Poppy likes this.
  15. Takao

Takao Ace

Meh, it wasn't "a watermelon," it was 10 of them. It obliterated the first 10, but missed the last two. Had the shell not been an inert dummy, it would have detonated at about the 8th one.

Last few minutes of the video.

green slime likes this.
  16. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Waves from the Left.

17. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

This issue that may never be resolved is that when an incident does occur, the lawyers are going to go after the deep pockets.

18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Indeed...the cars being invisioned will also be able to - if a situation occurs where they simply cannot stop in time to avoid colliding with multiple people - use facial recognition tech to identify the people ahead, connect to the web and search the details of these people and decide which person it should try to hit instead of others...so for example dodge the eight year old and aim for the 70 year old who’s been diagnosed with terminal cancer...this is of course an algorithm...
    But litigation of these new technologies is well understood...licensing and minimum agreed capability and safety will have to go hand in hand with government legislation that will protect companies, at least from most cases. It would be similar to aircraft companies, but a little more relaxed IMO...Robot tech (with AI and the cloud) is yet to be introduced and represents a mine field of possible litigation...interesting times ahead...

Poppy likes this.
  19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I dunno. battery recycling vs oil recycling.
    reports of the intense burning of battery packs, which could reignite after being extinguished. very dangerous. imagine a freeway crash involving dozens of DC powered cars...
    a small glitch, like what has happened with my phones in last 2 days- would cause catastrophic crashes for people using autopilot.
    this kind of stuff is 20 years in the future. let's stick with proven energy, until the aliens give us unobtainium.

20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I'd guess the f16 probably was firing at a drone from below. Then maneuvered to ground attack, where his rounds were falling back down.
    that kind of makes sense.