Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

F1 2005-2012

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Kai-Petri, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Well, don´t know if the new rules are the best possible but at least Ferrari is not getting wins for free now...

Full Race Result Malaysia

1 F. Alonso Renault 1:31:33.736 1
    2 J. Trulli Toyota + 24.327
    3 N. Heidfeld Williams + 32.188
    4 JP. Montoya McLaren + 41.631
    5 R. Schumacher Toyota + 51.854
    6 D. Coulthard Red Bull + 1:12.543
    7 M. Schumacher Ferrari + 1:19.988
    8 C. Klien Red Bull + 1:20.835
    9 K. Räikkönen McLaren + 1:21.580
    10 F. Massa Sauber + 1 laps
    11 N. Karthikeyan Jordan + 2 laps
    12 T. Monteiro Jordan + 3 laps
    13 C. Albers Minardi + 4 laps
    14 R. Barrichello Ferrari + 6 laps
    15 G. Fisichella Renault + 19 laps
    16 M. Webber Williams + 19 laps
    17 J. Villeneuve Sauber + 30 laps
    18 J. Button BAR + 54 laps
    19 A. Davidson BAR + 54 laps
    20 P. Friesacher Minardi + 54 laps

blutoubtemium likes this.
  2. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Is Benneton rising from the ashes?

certainly the results of the first two races show a very diverse and interesting scoresheet. 7 different teams in the top 7 this race!!! Look at Benneton and Toyota! :eek: Guys that barely drove into the points the last few seasons, can no wbe found in the top 8.

But I wonder what will happen when Ferrari will start using their 2005 car next race. Back to numerous 1-2's?

3. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Here in the States, F1 racing is'nt covered like Nascar so it's hard keeping up.
    I heard of the 'qualifing'rules change but that's it. It was a pleasant surprise to turn on the 2 races and Shumie was'nt lapping the field. [​IMG]

I see Montoya switched to Mclaren.

[ 21. March 2005, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: FramerT ]

4. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Correct Framer. We have to see if these changes turn the season into a more spectacular one. ALthough the scoresheet is far more diverse than last season, the races themself were pretty boring...

Do you follow Champcar???? If you do, keep an eye on JOS VERSTAPPEN. He is testing for team Herdez (HVM) next week. I still think he is a very talented racer and am very interested how he will do in the States. Unfortunately Champcar and Nascar in Europe is like F1 in the US; nowhere to be seen on TV. So I will have to make due with internet...

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Jos Verstappen ! I remember seeing him years ago....

I think the current F1 pit-crew championship is looking pretty good. I've seen the lead change several times while wheels are changed and fuel refilled - it's really exciting. OK, it's a little bit dull while some guy in a helmet drives the car round and round for a while to use up some more fuel and tyres, but then it's all action again......!

( ;) [​IMG] )

6. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Steven, ever since Champ and Indy car split up, Indy gets the most TV time.

Boring, you say...watch a NASCAR race.Well, except for the wrecks. [​IMG]
    Don't know what happened to Trans Am racing,here...never see it.
    Watched most of the 12 hours at Sebring Saturday. [​IMG]

7. Martin Bull

Trans-Am ! Now you're talking.....

[​IMG]

Ahh - nostalgia ! ;)

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Definitely remember Jos!

I think he was pretty lucky back in 1994...

[​IMG]

:eek:

Might see the vid here:

http://comments.big-boys.com/?id=3346

I think that Benetton never really could explain how this was possible...but I do think we know now how they could refuel faster than other teams back then...

9. Martin Bull

Thanks, Kai - I remember seeing that now. Very dramatic indeed.... :eek:

10. Stevin

Stevin Ace

After this incident you saw the "petrol shields" coming up. What happened was that fuel was spilled because the noozle was pulled out to quick and the fuel landed on the hot engine.

I think Jos only had his nose burned a little bit, and kept his visor closed next time he came in for a pit stop.... ;)

11. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Unfortunately, F1 has gone the way the Gran Prix racing series did in the 70's and 80's. Restrictive rules that preclude any real innovation among car designers and that exclude many firms that might otherwise get involved (Gran Prix got dominated by Porsche and no one else for a long while to the demise of both the fan base and interest in the sport).
    The other thing holding back F1 is the cost and, "exclusiveness" in the way the F1 committee decides who and where races will be held. Because these guys only want one race per nation the US (and other larger countries) are pretty much excluded. In the US putting on a single, very expensive for the return, F1 race has driven any real possibility of F1 in the US from happening in the near future.
    Instead, the US uses a similar format and Indy cars with a full race schedule (12 this year I think) replacing F1 at a lower cost.
    If the F1 committee wasn't so pedantic, they might see allowing like several larger US states to run a F1 race in lieu of one race per nation (after all, many larger US states have populations and economies bigger than many of the nations now running F1). If there were say, a New York, California, Texas, Flordia, and say 3 to 6 other states running a F1 there might be sufficent interest and economic reason to put a season on. As it is only F1 really loses out.

12. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I agree with that, TA. F1 is a lot of politics. Read for F1 committee, Mr. Bernie Ecclestone. He actually owns the F1. Teams sign contracts with him to race, so do all the circuits and TV stations.

The reason why we have races now in China, Malasia and Dubai (can't even remember if that is this year) is money. If they want to make F1 really popular in the US, they should do several races there. Why not? For years they did two in germany (calling one the Grand Prix of Europe!). And they threatened to leave the most exciting circuit of them all; Spa Francorchamps in Belgium, due to a smoking advertising ban....

Does anyone know what happened to the plan to have several Indy races here in Europe??

13. Martin Bull

It almost seems like dream now, but the entire Indy 'circus' came to Britain for two races in September 1978 - the last time they ever came.

A J Foyt won at Silverstone, Danny Ongais won at Brands Hatch and the cars then were incredibly spectacular. But the weather played havoc with the race scheduling, the crowds were pitifully small, and today - let's face it - B.E. doesn't want anyone or anything raining on his F1 parade. That's why there's no World Touring Cars, World Sports/GT Cars, etc.....

( I was at those two Indy races and they were truly unforgettable ! [​IMG] )

14. FramerT

FramerT Ace

I don't believe Indy leaves the country, Cart does. Maybe Mexico?
    IMO, if Indy wants to be anything like it used to be, they'd race on tracks with turns...not just in ovals. [​IMG]

15. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Dubai? I know Bahrain has one in April (purely for its tourist attraption value). Aside from that being a Lotus owner I have less interest now than back when they ran the JPS team and were often innovators in the field.

see the year-round running add in Bahrain's paper

16. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Yes, Bahrein is were they have it. Shows you how much involved I am this season. Although a Dutchman is driving a...hold on...a Minardi! First race he was out. Lost his 5th and 6th gear in the first round. Last race he came in last, 4 laps behind the winner and completely dehydrated.

I remember the JPS. Beautiful black macines. They had a Swede driving; Johansson? I saw them in a race when I was a nipper in Zandvoort. One of the last F1 races they had there.

17. Martin Bull

Stevin, you may be thinking of Gunnar Nilsson who tragically died of cancer aged 31. By a macabre coincidence, he died in the same year as the legendary Ronnie Peterson ( 'SuperSwede' ).

18. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

19. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Anyone catch the Indy 500?
    They practice/qualify for 2-3 weeks for this 1 race, yet F-1 or NASCAR are in and out in 1 week. :confused:

For whatever reason, watching F-1 this year is far more interesting than last.

20. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Looking forward to the Indy GP. Canada was a great race. Shame about Button but Barrichelo was superb, showed what he can do if givenhalf te chance.