Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

F1 2017 into 2018

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Otto, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Otto

Otto No More Half Measures Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

This F1 season was actually exciting. Ferrari appeared to have the season and Mercedes came back late. It was the typical Ferarri vs Mercedes duel all year, but Red Bull was always there to make things interesting.

We still don't have the depth of field I'd like, but that does appear to be getting better. The Sauber+Alpha Romeo partnership is the most interesting development on the constructor side in years.

I do not like the new F1 logo one bit.

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Ferrari been a surprise so far and Kimi better than Lotus times. Bottas been good too but was not able to challenge Vettel who had his tires totally worn out. Incredibly big number of problems with tyre changing. China gp Vettel took pole, Kimi second and i recall Bottas third. But still a long way to go for the season

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Great race in China for Finns. Bottas second and Kimi third. Well done guys!

4. Otto

Kimi doing well this year, his qualification times have been only shades off pole, and he would have at least one win if it weren't for bad luck, safety cars etc.

Fully enjoying F1 this year, all three lead teams appear to be competitive, and the races have been great to watch. Ricciardo's work at the Chinese GP was electric.

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Ricciardo should replace Kimi but it seems he demands 20 million per season so Kimi might have another season. Bottas instead might lose his place but perhaps get to Red Bull. Verstappen is too aggressive for top racing teams at the moment.

6. Otto

I'd love to see Ricciardo at la Scuderia. I'm not sure how well he would like the the unequal team orders that go on there though. I agree on Verstappen, far too unpredictable right now.

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I have read that Ricciardo has a demand in his possibile contract. I bet it has Something to do with equality of the drivers. Hamilton or Vettel would they Agree to this? Kph

8. Otto

Everyone wants to race their teammate, but then they crash as Red Bull did in Baku. Team orders are sometimes distasteful, but they F1 is actually a team sport. and crashing into your teammate does no one any good.

I could see Ricciardo seeing more merit in a team that has a top car, and keeps teammates from being too cutthroat such as Ferrari or Merc.

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Instead of blaming each other both Ricciardo and Verstappen said they were sorry ruining the race themselves. Cannot believe that truly. Especially Verstappen has been doing this for the whole of his F1 career and is not changing. He might end up with no career at all. Remind me a bit of Young Häkkinen who Allways crashed in the first corner. After the bad accident in 1995 he showed a new mature driver and won the F1 championship twice. I recall Schumi saying he Allways enjoyed driving against Häkkinen. Kph

10. Otto

Verstappen has a lot of ability, he needs to tame his aggression. Based on how the team acted at Baku last race, I think team Red Bull is obviously chosen him as their main driver. This will only push Ricciardo out faster, I think he was the favorite to replace Kimi at Ferrari in 2019, but Kimi is doing so well this year, he may want to stay on another season.

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Mercedes might also want to keep Bottas. If he had won the Baku GP he would have taken the top position of the drivers in points. Without the tyre exploding the weekend would have been perfect for him.

12. Otto

Miami on the horizon as a future F1 race site, New York & Las Vegas being considered. Apparently the FIA/Liberty Media want to expand from the current list of 20 races to 25 or more, and make a real push into the Us market. That would make a possible four races in the US per year! Is this break from one race per nation a long tradition, or did it just work out this way over the years?