Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

F1 season 2015 coming up

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Kai-Petri, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The first 4 laps of the British GP were fun. That 2 Williams(?), and 2 Mercedi's were knocked out was weird.
    Then the rain made it kind of interesting.

So do the F1 cars have 4 wheel drive? All driven by the gas motor, or are there electric motors on each wheel as well?

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Too bad the rain spoiled the Williams from winning the race... ;)

3. Triton

Triton New Member

No, rear wheel drive.
    The additional Hybrid Power was intended to ease overtaking. But, as mentioned, nothing happened, computers calculated, when the boost is helpful and everybody uses it the same way.
    Wasted money.

There is a Formula E with electrical cars, short races in inner city with quiet cars - this is kind of funny.

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Formula E, sounds like fun.

Surprised, now think about it, that they don't employ all wheel drive. If F1 is top of line in road racing, why don't they use it? Wouldn't it be safer (better traction).

5. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Autoweek announced that Bottas' contact with Williams has been bought by Ferrari. Very interesting, Williams is pretty close to Ferrari in performance and retains Mercedes engines next year. I guess that Ferrari is changing a Finn for a Finn. Kimi has had erratic luck this year.

Just hope there is more competition next year but would not bet on it.

Gaines

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Bottas is pretty quiet about any deals with Ferrari, understandable. I guess they will tell more after the end of July as Kimi´s deal for next year is after that over if it is not confirmed that Kimi is the other criver for 2016.

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Just noticed the question about four-wheel-drive.....

Last time it was tried in F1, it was a disaster. The main (unforeseen) problem was severe understeer. To cut a long story short, tyres are less able to resist sideways forces if they are driven. F1 ( and ,for that matter, World Sports Car ) front tyres are subjected to huge sideloads so, in fact, 4WD can actually be less safe as all grip on the front tyres can be lost under high sideways G forces.

This doesn't, of course, apply to rallying ( remember the all-conquering Audi Quattro ) where lower speeds and loose surfaces are the norm.

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

10. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

just re-watched Hungary - after all we've said about boring F1 this season, they put on a classic!

11. gtblackwell

Well NBC carries F 1 in the US and Sunday they covered The Tour de France instead. Thinking Hungary would be another Mercedes 1 & 2 I was not unhappy and the Tour is one of my all time favorite sports. So even knowing the outcome , Thanks to DW, com, I watched the race today and watched every minute. I have to agree , totally exciting and absolutely crazy. The two Finns had bad luck, all sorts of minor crashes and a few race ending ones, fair amount of penalties and some weird driving. Rosberg and Hamilton do not like adversity, bur great to see Ferrari, Redbull and Mercedes actually racing beach other. And McLaren-Honda actually scored some points.

Still I suspect Mercedes will be P1 and P2 on the next grid....unless they do themselves in. It was good to see the Redbulls doing well, Renault seems to have sorted their engine package out a bit better and Vettel was himself of old.

Next time I will definitely watch.

The Tour was exciting too. I love watching france from the air about as much as the racing.

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Wow. How do E cars compare with formula 1, weight, acceleration, top speed etc?
    The noise isn't as satisfying, but what are the decibels comparatively.
    Electric Formula 1, Moscow.
    Oh, those Russians.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDZ4VSFC6z0

13. Triton

Triton New Member

Tour de France was a great event, but Doping destroyed all the fun watching it. I'm not interested in it anymore. Too much lies in the past.

There are some changes in the rules to the next race, no radio traffic telling the driver what to do anymore. Maybe this will help.
    In my mind, they should bann all the switches at the driving wheel, just three pedals and a classic manual gear stick, then they can tell the driver whatever they want.

14. gtblackwell

I read somewhere that the steering system , the wheel and controls, switches ran about 125,000 Euros !! I would love to see the simpler idea you propose but since they are test beds for future cars I am afraid the complexity is in to stay. I am a 75 year old American that has never owned an automatic transmission car but I did drive a friend's dual clutch GTI that was great fun.

I think Lance Armstrong really tarnished the Tour for many people for generations to come, worst all those people that finished second were not moved up. Hard to believe one person could do so much damage. But I still enjoy watching it.

I was unpleasantly surprised I could not watch any of the 24 hours of Spa. Now watching NASCAR's second tier Xfinity cars run around a circle in practice did help my insomnia. Where are Ayrton Senna , Alain Prost and Herr Rindt when you need them ????

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

"Tour de France was a great event, but Doping destroyed all the fun"

There is doping in the TDF...since when? (kidding)...yes enjoyed the TDF. Surprised at the crowd turnout along the route.
    Last stage, whatever happened to the car the police shot at early in the morning near the finish line? What was that all about

16. Triton

Triton New Member

Armstrong is/was not better or worse than all the others.
    The second ones were doped too. I think, since the 90ies, everyone was doped.
    So, without Doping nothing would change, they would drive a little bit slower, maybe one or two tough stages less, but thats all. But I don't see, how this should happen. You can't control 200 drivers all the time.

17. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Ok boys,

back to F1 or create a new thread,please.... :)

18. gtblackwell

Kai, my apologies I think I started it my mentioning I could not watch the Hungarian GP because it was preempted. Did not remotely mean to divert the discussion. After finally watching Hungary I was pleased to see a shake up because of interest but looking at it several days later still think Mercedes will easily prevail but I hope not. Mercedes is fine, just want more competition. Really sad that Kimi's KERS stopped, is it still KERS ?, especially with the uncertainty at Ferrari

Renault has vastly improved but as the engines themselves are sealed the improvement must be in software and perhaps they van work on the electrical motor side. anyone iknow ?

They allowed Honda one additional engine per car, , instead of 5 per car per season they can use 6, I believe the numbers are close, but it will not help much this year. But Honda is huge and hopefully will put much effort into it. They have done it before.

Still unclear what Bottas' situation is for next season. any news from Finland ?? Personally I would like for him to stay at Williams and do well and Kimi to stay with Ferrari but my advise is not sought as often as before :)

Gaines

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

It seems Bottas will stay with Williams. He has not been such a success this season and Kimi has been evaluated to be at least as good or better driver, so why change now? Kimi will probably have to take a cut in salary but he should be able to continue with ferrari. And Williams seems happy with Bottas and don´t want to let go of him because they expect him to be a champion one day.

20. gtblackwell

Ferrari just announced that Kimi will be on the 2016 team. Red Bull apparently is negotiating with Mercedes for engines but Renault has a contract with them. Hope they have lots of sponsors to pay off Renault ! Renault is actually getting better and I hope they stay in F 1. It appears the gasoline engine is sealed for the season but the software can be changed. I am unable to find out if the electric module is sealed or not.