Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Famous Quotes

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Commando, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

via TanksinWW2
    A shame though that a quote from Churchill was bent to criticise the results of Yalta as he was pretty much railroaded there by Roosevelt's agreements with Stalin.

2. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    the poles definatly got the shaft at yalta but i dont see how churchill and fdr had a lot of choice in the matter , they needed stalin to keep killing germans and they knew he was doing the lions share of the work , and at a horrific cost in russian lives .

3. Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not to sound like a smart-ass, but politians usually do nothing "great" ina war, beside keeping the armchairs warm.
    It´s easy to say that they were great leaders (with their task of wise consulters) and their speeches, written by unknown young good men. Walking through history soldiers were always betrayed by their pol. leaders.
    Brit. Vets. of the Falkland War had to wait four or more years for prosthesis, the Vets of the Nam were betrayed by the whole society ("On returing from Vietnam, minus my right arm, I was accosted twice...by individuals who inquired, ´Where did you lose your arm? Vietnam? I replied ´Yes´ The response was,´Good. Serves you right´" *), there were still signs in the late 80s/early 90s that downed pilots were asking for help via signs like "G" or "Y" for "I´m on the run", every US-Pilot in Vietnam had a four-digit number, which was only known by the Pentagon and the pilot himself, so the missed pilots build the "G" and the number en large on fields or where else. The US-intell. made many pictures (via satellites/planes) which confirms this and instead of rescuing those who would have done everything for the country, the US-gov. thought it would stress the new viet-us. relationship and us-companys would have disadvantages at the new internal market at Vietnam. US-Vets and relatives of MIAs were browbeaten not to make a statement at the investigation at the senat under JOHN KERRY, this *deleted*, did nothing to save his old buddies but more for his carreer and so this invest. was a non-success and the fatal ending of some MIAs, but a good profit for the new market in vietnam.

and so on (Wehrmacht, Bundeswehr (ISAF), US-Army (Iraq) etc pp)

Politians are quite good at putting themselves in the limelight if everything went good and the soldiers paid the bill, but if something go bad they are the first who demonised the engagement and the soldiers.

4. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    che ,it seems that you are you suggesting that ALL the worlds leaders were then and are today contemptable , corrupt and to their own soldiers , malicious
    .this is silly nonesense and oft repeated working class bigotry against the elite .but usually it is directed at a paticular elite .you seem to loathe all politicians .does being a nations leader by definition , make one a bad person ? is there now or was there ever a good politician ?

politician is not a dirty word though often on the web it is strangely made out to be one .che , men who lead other people are called politicians .all peoples have always been lead by someone . this someone is aways an actual person and thus not divine ( though some have claimed otherwise )presidents and dictators and prime ministers eat ,sleep ,crap and lust after women just like us common folk .

just as there are good and bad sgts ,captains and generals , there are good and bad politicians . like good sgts , good presidents some times make mistakes .politician is merely what we call our leaders today and a huge improvement on what we used to call them ,emperors kings ,barons ,warlords ,cheiftens ,ect .

some pols are elected , like fdr and churchill . some rise through thuggery like stalin and hitler .imo , it is preferable to be lead by a leader selected by the people rather than a mildly retarded or criminally insane princeling .a politician is just then , a leader ,elected or otherwise of men .there are good and bad leaders .we in the western judo christian democracys regard as GOOD . leaders , who win and dont intenionally kill lots of innocent people. thus fdr ,and churchill are good leaders when we measure them against BAD leaders , ie. .stalin even though he was on our side was a bad leader because he loses points on the murder of innocents scale .hitler was double bad because he lost and he , well you know ...all of these men were GREAT leaders because of their inpact on history .

as to an evil capitalist corporate conspirecy to abandon us military pilots intentionally , so as to reap profits sooner somehow , i say bollocks . where and when and by what corporations were what us pilots abandoned when they could have been feasibly extracted ?

MIA really means "we are 98 % sure he is dead , but we dont have his body and no one actually saw him die . at gettysburg and waterloo soldiers were mostly dead or wounded or accounted for , the area was small ,the troops on foot ,not so hard to find allmost all .in ww2 and since ,large areas and fast long range aircraft ,ships and subs make accounting for everyone much harder .some mias luckely turn up as pows , most do not .remember its " missing in action , presumed dead "and except for in the movies , dead is what they almost always are .

there was for a time a quasi political self serving bunch that went about the usa bilking the credible and torturing the familys of mia vn pilots that somehow ,somewhere their missing loved ones were being held in bamboo cages because of the complicty or incompetence of the us government .they employed lies ,disinformation and all manner of skullduggery to reap ten of millions from many well meaning people but have never , to my knowlege , produced any liveing mia aircrew .if anyone desrves your contempt , che , these charletons do .

5. Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It probably sounds like that, yes, however what I mean is that the role of politians in a war is much overated. I would not say that politians are corrupt at all, but they would prefer the profit rather then standing up for some missed soldiers and so afflicting the relationship to this forgein country. Leading a country is like leading a comp., you have to obtain profit. So the question would be if you would rather like to obtain 30 billions of taxes or if you save 30 missed soldiers. Woody, the problem is that I have no source in the i-net atm, all I knew about the MIAs and the United States Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs was this
    documentry I´ve seen on TV. I´ll try to find out more.

Do you mean the POW/MIA of the National League of Families of American Prisoners and Missing in Southeast Asia ?

[​IMG]

6. Gunter_Viezenz

Gunter_Viezenz New Member

via TanksinWW2
    So thats how he got named Time Magazine's Men of the year. People in the west truely didn't consider Stalin evil until Krushev's De-Stalinization campaign.

7. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    hitler and kohmeini each won " times ,man of the year" once , stalin won it in 39 and 42 . in 2003 , man of the year was " the us soldier " which is , lets face it , a cop out . " the man " was clearly liveing in a cave somewhere in pakistan .
    but of course , nameing the real man of that year would have caused a shitstorm of condemnation and likely fatal boycotts and cancillations for time inc.

when osama learned that he was not to be one the cover of time magazine that month , its said he ordered an immediate fatwa on all satanist journalists , and just to be safe , all wristwatch companys as well .