Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Favorite British MBT of all time...

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by Hoosier phpbb3, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    For me it would be the Centurian-series. Utilized by Australians in Vietnam, and immortalized by the IDF in the Valley or Tears battles along the Golan heights.
    For me, the Centurian just plain ROCKS. Sure wish there was a first-class 1/35 scale kit in Israeli-dress.

Tim

2. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ah, but that makes it a first-class subject for a home-made conversion...
    ;)
    I really must stop having ideas for conversions - I already have a long waiting list...

3. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ricky:
    I can only continue to hope that Tayiya, Minicraft, Academy or some similar first-class company hears my plea and brings one to market. Really not sure why there isn't one out there today.
    An IDF Centurian--Velley of Tears era--is most definitely on my wish-list. Let us pray...

Tim--big smile

4. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have a strange affection for Vickers Mediums - there's just something about the overall look of the thing. Mark me down as sad :lol:

5. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Mark IV! :lol:

I myself like the Comet a lot, but of course it was completely overshadowed by the Centurion and only served for a very short time.

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've always had an odd liking for Chieftans, could be because I spent a number of my childhood years near Osnabruck when 2 RTR was based there so used to see them about quite a bit.

Yesterday whilst out driving at work I passed a pub that had in its carpark about 3 vintage Army trucks, a AFV432 engineering vehicle, Saracen and... a Chieftan! Wish I'd had my camera with me...

7. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
  8. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    In the game World War II Online where you can engage in a very realistic simulation of fighting in various tanks versus players in opposing tanks, anti-tank guns, infantry weapons etc. I found fighting in the A-13 Cruiser series(Mark IV) an exhilarating experience. You couldn't take many hits and survive but the camouflage(only green but blended in well) was a life saver. It was fast and you could scoot from one ambush position to another. The 2 lber was effective against most German tanks of the time as well. Of course an 88 can ruin your whole day from quite a distance.
    Setting the 88 up in a good ambush position could be even more fun when an entire formation of Allied tanks crossed in front of your sights ;)

9. Jeffrey phpbb3

Jeffrey phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    COuld you give me a link to that game Grieg? sounds great!

10. Danyel Phelps

Danyel Phelps Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    It's been a while since I last played, but I thought the A-13s were pretty low-end threats. I used to engage and combat them pretty effectivly with a PAK36 AT gun.

11. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Jeffrey wrote:

Sure. Here ya go:

http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/index.jsp

They run 30 day free trial specials every so often..otherwise you must pay a monthly fee to play. It can be addictive ;)

Danyel Phelps wrote:

Depends on who is driving them ;) As I stated, they can't take many hits however they are fast, have excellent situational awareness and a gun that isn't powerful but will do a job on most of the Axis inventory if skillfully handled.
    Great ambush tank.

12. Danyel Phelps

Danyel Phelps Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    Then again, I also managed to take out a few Matilda II's with a PAK 36 so..

But yes, WWII Online is the single greatest WWII Tank game ever created.

13. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Definetly the Challenger 2. 'Cause it's got the Rhienmetall L/55 for main armament, like the other top-of-the-line MBTs of today, good performance, and a cool name :cool:. Also the Centurion. It was among the best post-war tanks.

14. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Are you sure that the Challenger has the Rhinemetall gun? The Challenger is almost unique among modern MBTs because it doesn't use a smoothbore gun.

15. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ok, it's gun is rifled, which means it isn't a Rhiemetall. But it was an L/55 gun, even though the L/55 is in the middle of replacing the L/30. But some Challenger 2s do have L/55s. Ask www.fprado.com if you don't believe me.

16. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Chally's gun was always an L/55 weapon - the L30 is the designation (just to confuse people, it's a Brit designation meaning Land Equipment, Type 30). But it was the Royal Ordnance Factory L/55 and rifled - CHARM, in later versions (CHallenger ARmament Modification).
    But we're supposedly switching the the Rheinmetall L/55 120mm, (in the interests of NATO commonality and the failure of CHARM2 to match expectations...)

17. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh. I guess I didn't read the page carefully enough.

18. Varyag

Varyag New Member

via TanksinWW2
    For me it's a toss-up between the Centurion and the Chieftain, nowadays all tanks look the same. :-?

19. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Centurion - best in its day - better than its early contemporaries by a country mile.

Best ever - Challenger 2 - it undeniably is better than its predecessors but not such an obvious world beater today as the Cent was in its day.

20. Tony Williams

Tony Williams Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Panther would have given it a run for its money had they met in 1945, although the Cent probably had more capacity for upgrading.

I rather like the Chieftain, because it was something really special at the time. It had a 120mm gun when all the other MBTs (as opposed to heavy tanks) had 100-105mm, superbly sloped armour, and was remarkably low because the driver was in a reclining position. It really was ahead of of the opposition then.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum