Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Favorite tanks

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by Stg 44, May 26, 2014.

1. Stg 44

Stg 44 New Member

Hey just wondering what is everyone's favorite tank. If you can, list the name, make, country, and anything else you think important.

2. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

The Ferdinand (Elefant), tank killer, German, 1943, Porsche.

It was a beast with an 88mm PAK 43/2 and effective range up to 2 to 3 miles. Very vulnerable but a successful tank killer introduced in the Battle of Kursk.

3. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

M4A3E8 (76) "Easy-Eight," medium tank, American, and with HVSS suspension.

Featured the more powerful M1 76mm gun, giving the Sherman a better chance at taking out German tanks at longer ranges, while not sacrificing the excellent mobility and reliability of the Sherman, and it just looks mean.

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Dubya, dubya 2? Didn't see much action, but it was a beauty: the Comet. It sure looks like it might be the daddy of the awesome Centurion. We want a DNA test.

CliSwe and Richard71 like this.
  5. lwd

lwd Ace

6. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

I have two equal favourites - the TWO "Black Princes"....both WWII tanks but neither saw action in WWII :(

The better-known A43 "Black Prince" project, the beefed-up Churchill...

[​IMG]

...but there's ANOTHER "Black Prince" , the name seems to have been applied to TWO prototypes during WWII...

The Matilda "Black Prince" with Cromwell-style turret and 6-pdr gun...

[​IMG]

7. PvtJohnTowle_MoH

PvtJohnTowle_MoH Member

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Nice pick, PJT_M...The rubber road wheels were an invention of Christie, where the Soviets took some knowledge that was ignored by the US. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpU6CkV3XJI

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Just gonna say, for conversations sake, I was always turned off by the multitude of bogeys on the Church. It's like fat on your gf, don't like to see it... "Do you think that German tank is sexy"..."HA, no way dear. It is too...top heavy. And the...umm... legs are too long.". "No way would ever marry that tank.".

Surprise day off for me. Ahhh, day drinking. Going to be an early night.

10. Carronade

Carronade Ace

I'm surprised no one's mentioned my favorite yet, the Panther. And it comes with a cool cousin, the Jagdpanther, a sleek tank destroyer with that powerful 88mmL71 gun.

That T-34/85 is also a contender. I find it particularly noteworthy that they were able to step up from a two- to three-man turret while mounting a heavier gun than the original T-34.

11. Richard71

Richard71 Member

The Tiger 1. The tank was not innovative - a slab-sided brute at a time when the pace was set by fast, sloped armoured, medium tanks. Despite the conservative nature of the vehicle, until the JS series of tanks appeared, the Tiger 1 was a match for any tank it encountered and the mark of its ability was the respect in which it was held by opponents, right until April 1945.

12. Karjala

Karjala Don Quijote

View attachment 21132

"Sturmi" a.k.a Sturmgeshütz 40 Ausf. G (/ Sturmgeshütz III Ausf. G)

http://www.andreaslarka.net/assaultguns.html

My favourite tank is not a tank but an assault gun. Because that was the best Finland had and it performed excellently.

"Finland lost 8 of the 1943 batch StuG's. (Ps.531-1, Ps.531-2, Ps.531-3, Ps.531-5, Ps.531-17, Ps.531-23, Ps.531-24 and Ps.531-29). The Soviets lost 87 tanks and an uncounted number of anti-tank guns, anti-tank rifles, trucks etc. thanks to our StuG's and their crews. Quite a remarkable result for such a small force!"

http://www.andreaslarka.net/sturmi.html

Attached Files:

PzJgr likes this.
  13. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

It's hopeless for me, really. Just can't get away from both Tigers and the Panther.

Why ? They're like the Porsche 917 of the battlefield. See a 917 today in a museum, it still looks all-conquering, mean, (over) powerful, crushing :i_surrender: . And if today you see the Tiger 1 at Vimoutiers, the Grandmenil Panther or the King Tiger at La Gleize.........................it's the same effect.

Sorry guys - that's heart ruling over head, I know.

14. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

dunno why but this is my favorite, the kind i'd ride today on the road (if i'm allowed.)

[​IMG]

15. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

Always been partial to the Cromwell myself.

16. Richard71

Richard71 Member

The Cromwell looks very good. It's the same as the Crusader - a tank that looks the part but did not perform as hoped and that makes it hard to choose as a favourite, much as I'd like to select a British tank.
    In its favour, the Cromwell is the Grandad of the Centurion (via the Comet) so the concept was sound.
    It does look very cool.

17. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Although not my personal favourite, I've always had a soft-spot for the Panzer III. Aesthetically, it's nicely proportioned........a very 'good looking' tank IMPO.

USMCPrice and PzJgr like this.
  18. Bundesluftwaffe

Bundesluftwaffe New Member

There are severall, but I guess if we talk about medium/heavy ones, it would be the Panther....

But for lighter ones, the M18 ........it is very fast and can hit hard, but thin armor and open topped

Also the Hetzer, while a nightmare for the crews (very cramped), it was fast, small, relatively easy to produce, cheap and has the 75mm gun of the PzIV&Stug. So Hetzer was effective vs. most western allied tanks while vs. Russian ones it would have probs with the IS2, but can deal with T34&Su122 etc.

I am not fan at all of Tigers and all above in size because they were wastes of resources. Esp. Sturmtiger,Jagdtiger&Königstiger (you could probably build 1000s of Hetzers/Stugs for the few of these monsters instead) .

I forgot also a British one: Archer TD, it has the gun pointed to the rear....very good idea for a tankhunter, it was the 17pdr which can destroy any enemy armour.

19. ptimms

ptimms Member

Certainly for the early war the Matilda II and even her ugly sister the Matilda I. Gave Rommel and Co. a mighty scare at Arras.

20. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran