Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Feeling the Heat: Climate Change

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Takao, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. green slime

green slime Member

He left GP in 1986.... and has been controversial since then (your article).

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

nope. Now it's too many plants;

http://news.sciencemag.org/paleontology/2012/02/did-plants-freeze-planet

But current geochemical models suggest that that process couldn't have taken CO2 levels low enough to bring about the two ice ages, nor can it explain their sudden onset. "Explaining these glaciations has always been a problem," says Charles Wellman, a paleobotanist at the University of Sheffield in the United Kingdom, who was not involved in the new work.

3. green slime

green slime Member

"While the first of the glaciations that the team studied was probably triggered by nonvascular plants such as mosses and liverworts, the second ice age—the one that began around 445 million years ago—may have been brought on by the rise and spread of vascular plants. Spores from such plants, which aren't limited to permanently damp environments and therefore may have turned down Earth's thermostat even more than nonvascular plants did, show up in the fossil record about 450 million years ago. So, Retallack suggests, colonization of the land by vascular and nonvascular plants together may help explain the massive drawdown of CO2 that triggered the most recent and stronger of the two major glaciations that Lenton and his colleagues studied."

Very interesting reading indeed. Thanks for that link. It strikes me as waaaaay too speculative for Mr Ex-Green Peace (or anyone else) to waffle on about simultaneous CO2 levels and Ice Ages. This is obviously something needing far more research.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Important to note that only a little change is needed for an ice age...

The colder it gets the more snow falls...the more snow falls, the less the earth is heated, not only because of a covering, but the white reflects the sun's heat. So more snow falls...more earth gets covered and more light/heat reflected and so on...the REAL question is what reverses this process...

5. Dave55

Dave55 Member

6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

It also says he was a founder member who quit when the organisation lurched to the Left, and is only "controversial" because he doesn't parrot everything they say as being infallible gospel.
    The watermelon analogy for Greenpeace didn't just magically appear out of nowhere.

7. green slime

green slime Member

The organisation Green Peace made its stand on Nuclear energy well long before he joined.

"He has advocated logging, claiming it actually causes reforestation, and attacked campaigners for fear-mongering over nuclear energy."

Suffering accusations of leftism is sort of inevitable for any organisation that strives to counter the overexploitation of natural resources of the planet.

8. GRW

When a founder member of an organisation says he left it because it was being hijacked by fanatics, that speaks volumes to me.
    I tend to ignore unelected, unaccountable and unrepresentative "pressure groups" answerable to no-one but themselves. Especially when they turn into quasi-evangelistic ego trips.

9. green slime

green slime Member

Given his propensity for making unqualified statements that are unsupported by modern research (albeit yet incomplete), I'd say there's probably something mildly more than just that, that marks him as controversial.

10. GRW

Since he has a doctorate in Ecology, and comes from a family which earned its living in the logging industry, I think we can safely say he knows what he's talking about.

11. green slime

green slime Member

I, too, come from a family which earned its living in the logging industry. Does that also make me an expert on the conditions of the planet 450 million years ago?

That was the crux of the article, was it not?

I think we can safely say, that he didn't know what he was talking about.

12. GRW

Yea, he's only got a doctorate in Ecology. Surprised he's not managing the local branch of McDonalds...

13. green slime

green slime Member

Moore has given different accounts of the reasons for his departure. He has claimed, for instance, that he quit because 'in the mid-Eighties the ultraleftists and extremists took over'. But he has contradicted this by claiming that there were no indications of such problems with the organisation when he left, 'I had no idea that after I left in 1986 they [Greenpeace] would evolve into a band of scientific illiterates who use Gestapo tactics to silence people'. In fact, according to Greenpeace's Tamara Stark, Moore's exit from the organisation was 'not necessarily by his own choice'.

After leaving Greenpeace, Moore set up a fish farm, which failed, and in 1991 set up his own environmental consultancy, Greenspirit. This attracted controversy of its own. Around the same time, he became a full-time paid director and consultant for the British Columbia Forest Alliance. The Alliance, although presented as a 'citizens group', was the brainchild of PR firm Burson-Marsteller.The Alliance has a budget of around $2m derived mostly from the forest industry and its 170 or so corporate members, and it campaigns for clear-cutting.

Moore's activities on behalf of the Alliance have been extremely controversial. He claimed, for instance, that the World Wildlife Fund in some cases supported clear-cutting, provoking a furious response from Jean-Paul Jeanrenaud, head of the forest programme of World Wide Fund for Nature International, who accused Moore of 'grossly misrepresenting' WWF's position, something WWF 'deplored'.

There's much. much more about Moore here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2010/dec/02/sumatra-rainforest-destruction-patrick-moore

Yep, sure seems a true friend of re-forestation and ecological development for a sustainable world...

14. green slime

green slime Member

And what, exactly does that have to do with the conditions on the planet 450 million years ago, that we should take his statements at face value, no questions asked, especially considering his work seems to consist of being a PR-consultant for the logging industry? Considering he is still riding on the coattails of Green Peace (it's mentioned everywhere), in spite of leaving the organisation (for whatever reasons) some 28 years ago....

15. Biak

An interesting question; What does this have to do with the conditions 450 million years ago when the CO2 levels were 8 to 12 times higher than today and we were in an Ice Age? That's what I ask and I'm still waiting for an explanation. Also waiting for why they use the 1951 to 1980 time period? Although I just read an article that decided the 1961 to 1990 years fit the study better. Nice to be able to build your own bell-curve. Reading the article could make an argument for just about anything since there is so much "could", possibly", "between 1,000 and 10,000", and more contained therein that any conclusion could be arrived at. Or none.

The best I can find for the true reason of the studies done by Scientist is the remark that the campsites are way out there in the tundra or outback or wherever and there is always plenty of Scotch. It's the Scotch funds that get depleted and the best way to replenish the supply is to propose another study.

. From there, it’s about an hour on snowmobiles along well-traveled paths to the bare-bones cabin where the scientists spend about ten days every spring, crammed inside with bunk beds, a paraffin stove and several bottles of scotch.
    Read more at http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/As-the-Planet-Warms-What-Happens-to-the-Reindeer-180949812/#1cOHwfbCpEOiRfOh.99

16. GRW

That seems to be the same premise the MMGW faithful work on, isn't it? "Don't-dare-question-us-we're-right-and-you're-only-a-pathetic-denier".
    Nearly forgot-
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ecology
    There were no organisms on the planet 450 million years ago? I beg to differ-
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130821170134.htm

17. GRW

18. green slime

green slime Member

You really should go back and check what was said. Not only by me, but by the article you quoted.

No one said anything about NO organisms on Earth.

What was originally stated (by me, quoting from wikipedia):
    450 million years ago, all known life was confined to the seas and oceans.

How you infer that there was NO organisms on Earth from that, is beyond my ken. Perhaps you would care to explain your logic.

It is precisely somewhere along this juncture (approx. 450 million years ago), as was previously explained in this very thread (By Biak, in post #702 on this very page), that the very first organisms made it to land: non-vascular and then vascular plants.

Your article (second paragraph):
    "that major geological developments triggered evolutionary changes in the ancient seas, which were dominated by organisms such as brachiopods, corals, trilobites and crinoids."

[​IMG]
    A Brachiopod

[​IMG]
    A Coral

[​IMG]
    A trilobite

[​IMG]
    A Crinoid

All SEA living organisms.

Fourth paragraph, your article
    "Scientists knew that there was a massive influx of invasive species into this ocean basin during this time period,..."

Sixth Paragraph, same article:
    "Using the fossils of 53 species of brachiopods that dominated the Laurentian ecosystem,..."

7th Paragraph:
    "Within the brachiopods, corals and cephalopods, for example..."
    [​IMG] (A cephalopod)

SO you can "beg to differ" all you like, but it'd behoove you to actually understand what I wrote in the first place, in order to differ from what I stated...

19. Biak

Amazing. We've gone from man made Climate destruction to when did life begin? Nice curve ball to bait & switch without answering the prevailing question.
    How Do we Have an Ice Age When the CO2 levels are dramatically higher than today?
    and Why Do they get to pick and choose a particular 30 year data period ?

20. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Frantically waving hand... "Because, Al Gore?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.