Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

final crew list of the uss indianapolis

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by sniper1946, Oct 5, 2009.

1. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi ray, thanks for the like for this list. It is nice to see who served on that doomed ship.

Have you ever seena movie called: Mission of the Shark? If not? that movie has Stacy Keach as the Ships Captain and also had Richard Thomas as one of the Officers on the same ship. This movie was a made for TV movie, and I was shocked at the gore shows in it beiing a made for TV movie. The movie did one heck of a great job in the tellings of those mens stories including the very sad and wrongful Courtsmartial of the ships Captain. I think the NAvy finally came out a few years ago, and publicly apologised to the ships crew as well as (too late) to Captain McVay (SP?) for them ever considering having any charges brought against an innocent man. The Captain committed suicide years after his wrongful courtsmartial. Such a damned shame on the Navys part. :-((

Anyway, that movie did a great job in the tellings of that ships tragedy. They also told of what happened at the Captains trial-and the Japanese Officer who had commanded the Sub that torpedoes the USS Indianapolis, testified FOR the Captain saying that that Captain could not have changed anything and that tragedy still would hav ehappened. Also, to that Japanese Sub Commanders credit, he apologised for the loss of life that he took full blame for. Even with this former Imperial Japanese Navy Officers testimony-the US Navy was out for blood and looking for someone to place the blames on-so they shafter Capt McVay-when instead, SHOULD have also included those responsible for issuing the orders that pertained to not acknowledging the departials and arrivals of ships.

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

I don't think I saw it carl,I found this though,have you seen it yet? ray..

"The Good Sailor"

Director: J.J. Abrams
    Release Date: 2007
    Studio: Universal Pictures
    Message Boards: Post your comments
    Buy Movie: HD-DVD | Blu-ray | DVD | VHS

Synopsis: The story follows the sinking of the heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis. On July 30, 1945, the Indianapolis was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine in the Philippine Sea. Hundreds went down with the ship, but about 900 sailors were left in shark-infested waters. The ship was never missed, and by the time the survivors were spotted by accident five days later, only 316 remained. The ship's captain, Charles McVay III, was later court-martialed for the incident, the only World War II Navy captain to be court-martialed for losing his ship.

4. lacmirasm

lacmirasm recruit