Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Finnish army Stugs..

Discussion in 'Military Vehicle Restoration' started by Kai-Petri, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The Finnish army has started selling its old property away...among these are three Stug III Ausführung G wrecks which were used for target practice.

Don´t know if anyone wants these but they are being sold in September in an auction.

http://tietokannat.mil.fi/data/2034/3

Does not look too good, does it?!

Also Charioteer Mk VII Model B tanks and Comet Mk I Model B´s are being sold, which are in better shape. ( just in case somebody would be interested ).

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Thanks for posting the link, Kai - that is most interesting ! It may be a little beyond my resources ( :eek: ) but serious restorers have returned unlikelier-looking wrecks to life......

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

That would need a little bit of elbow grease and then some.

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Cheers Kai, fascinating.
    I'm sure someone with deep pockets'll have spotted them already.
    Any links to more pictures? (particularly the charioteer) as I'm having trouble guessing my way around the main site. :confused:

(Sorry for the repetition but it's amazing what they can do with wrecks: Littlefield)

Cheers,
    Adam.

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Nothing to be sorry about. I have not seen this one and it is fantastic. Gotta luv those StuGs. I just cannot imagine the time and money spent on restoring these vehicles. I am ready to give up on my current project of restoring a Land Rover 109 soft top but at least I have some manuals and available spares. But with a StuG.............????? It is just amazing. Thanks Kai and Adam

6. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Kai,

Any idea what this bad boy might go for?

7. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

If it's any help, the Littlefield Stug. above was bought as a wreck for c.$100,000 and has cost c.$200,000 to restore.

8. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Amazing!!

9. Martin Bull

genuine WWII tank hulk prices are getting into Warbird territory ie serious ! :eek:

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Perhaps they can contact Jesse James or the Monster Garage crew and see what these guys can do for the STUGs ;-D After all, Jesse James "souped up" a Humvee in Iraq. Darn thing actually could pop wheelies.

11. Owen

Owen O

That STUG in the photo doesn't look too bad at all.
    Should be fairly easy to get up and running.

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Usual rough prices listed in the MV magazines (not counting required restoration/running costs which could easily be substantially more) are running Shermans for £100-150k, Stuarts @ £25k, DUKW's for c.£25k, dingos for £6-12k etc, but the lighter stuff like WC52 weapons carriers & standard truckage go for c.£2-3k for knackered but running.
    We thought running but tatty M3/M5 halftracks for £7.5k-ish looked a bargain until we were told tracks cost c.£2k if you could find 'em (Israel seems the last source).
    Chatting to the bloke with the 'colander' Grant and he described another runner being imported for c.£45k, he then pointed at his rusty device and said "guess how much that's cost?", we expected a smug low figure until he grunted "Twice as f**king much!".
    Was offered a running Yugo T34/85 last year for £12.5k, or an 'Africa maintained' PT76 for c.£2.5k, probably the cheapest in full tracked armour.

German stuff's crazy prices, a very well connected chap we spoke to last year had arranged the sale of a Panzer IV from Germany, 'intact but rusted solid' for c.£500k to a British collector and you're probably talking as much again to get it running. No wonder they convert all those OT810's.

Churchill Crocodile was c.£25k last year in a right state, with no trailer.
    Chaffee here for £80k: WEBVERT
    Stuart tractor, £20k: WEBVERT
    Go here to browse: Military vehicles on Milweb - marketplace for Jeeps Tanks Military vehicles,services and equipment (vehicle park>Armor & tracked)

And this chap recently had a Panther for sale: Your First Choice for Russian Trucks and Military Vehicles - UK Russian Trucks
    If you have to ask the price, then... (maybe the Cromwell he just shifted was more in sir's price range?)

Hmmm :rolleyes:. Seem to have gone into rambling mode, my missus can tell when I'm looking at these ads from the amount of wistful sighing going on.

Cheers,
    Adam.

13. Martin Bull

Sitting here looking a the back garden...that StuG may just fit......;)

14. Martin Bull

No....:eek:...just checked my bank balance - I'm afraid I'll have to stick with the one I've got......:(

[​IMG]

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I could use one too, in case somebody does not start fast enough when the traffic light turns green. Actually why bother with traffic lights when you drive one of these?

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Wow!

I can see people are truly excited about this....

Here´s the link to the Finnish army page for the tanks to be sold on 25th September in an auction.

Altogether 15 Charioteers, and four Comets, and three Stugs.Some of the tanks don´t have engines , and after the auction the weapons will be removed.

Pics of the tanks in the lower part of the site below.

Puolustusvoimat: Puolustusvoimat myy vanhaa panssarikalustoa

If anyone is that interested to come to Finland I can tell more info where it is etc...

The army has also given telephone numbers for some contact persons.

von Poop likes this.
  17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I like the Sturmgeschütz III Ausführung G a lot. It would be nice to restore it and to get it to drive with a new engine. The panzers are in a very good condition but it's hard to imagine patrolling with these toys. Anyway it's just a dream as I probably could never afford it.

18. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The more I hear from you guys it starts to sound a great idea to go to the auction and see people make huge bids on those "old monsters"...Neither do I have the money but this would be a chance to see people who have...

;) ;)

19. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

You mean not even from a "Crazy neurosurgeon" such as yourself??? :D

20. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Thanks for the further picture link Kai.

I'm guessing the Charioteers will raise quite a bit of interest.
    Certainly something of a missing link in British Tank History, don't believe I've ever seen a runner.
    The Cromwell chassis they're based on must raise a few eyebrows amongst the cashed up cogniscenti too, great potential for the rebirth of a classic ww2 vehicle (have to double check how much conversion was done to turn a Cromwell into a Charioteer, seem to remember not much beyond the turret swap.).
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Adam.