Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Firing bolt action rifles in combat conditions

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Wolfy, Feb 5, 2009.

1. razin

razin Member

Thanks for correctcing the matter that MI sight is virtually a match sight.

The M1803A3 and A4 I didn't list as it wasn't issued until 1942.

By the way this term volly sight- is that the same as a battle sight?

There are many bolt action rifles with rear locking, the French MAS mle1936 and its modern incarnation the F1sniper rifle is an example, there are more and if weapons with straight pull failing block locks are included such as the Steyr Mannlicher M88-90 there are many more. The Schmidt rubin M1911 also had rear locks and looks like the designer really had a bad day.

Steve

2. Triple C

Triple C Ace

This is actually a tibit I found in the official history of the Battle of the Bulge. The exact text said that German assault troops armed themselves with nothing but machine-pistols when they were riding SP assault guns to combat. This argued that at least some German units had squad fulls of MP-40s instead of the mixed composition suggested by T. A. Gardner but I am willing to believe that both type of squads existed. Late war TO&Es just aren't very helpful. Veteran US rifle companies had far more automatic weapons than TO&E would suggest, I have even read an account of a platoon that had two air-cooled 30. cal MGs in addition to its extra BARs.

3. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

I've seen a picture of German infantry armed completely with MP-40s on a Pzr IV late model in 43' or 44' Russia .

4. justdags

justdags Member

I can only presume that it also made them flee more readily to advoid the hail of bullets

5. Gen.grant

Gen.grant Member

but wouldn't they hold the advantage as the men charging would need to reload

6. razin

razin Member

Men in a squad either in attack or defence should always make sure not to all reload at the same time.

7. flammpanzer

flammpanzer Member

really hate em?? im no soldier but i fire k98 with a friend of my dad and once u get to know the mechanism it works quite well. in open fields i prefer that rather to a tommy which has a 50m top accuracy.

8. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

when i see youtube footage of people firing bolt action rifles, i often see them screw up the mechanism once every 5 rounds. How often does that happen to someone well trained to the rifle, exhausted, and on the move?

9. razin

razin Member

As I haven't seen the youtube you mention I can only imagine that if it is a five round magazine it is probably the follower locking the bolt back which isn't a fault, put the clip in the bridge push down, push forward on the bolt to load next round and that's it.

10. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

true, but it's like a 2-3 second pause in firing.

11. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

12. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

13. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

They used to.

The decision to keep the Lee Enfield was rooted in the rifleman cult in the British army.
    Trained professional soldiers could do wonders with the No.4. However in a fluid combat envirorment you need auto, full auto capability to be effective.

In WWI the mad minute had a great impact in 1914. German soldiers have recorded that they thougt they were up against automatic weapons. This was however when the Tommies were defending. It was the Bergman MP that gave the ordinary infantryman offensive firepower.

my 2 øre...

14. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

With my SMLE No III* I've actually found it even faster left handed than right. You keep your thumb under the bolt and use the left hand to reload. The right keeps the gun steady down range.