Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Flamethrowers: what are they good for?

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by Blaster, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    The Falklands war saw the use of Napalm by the Argentines and Phosphorus grenades by the British.

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Did it? I was aware some Napalm was found on the airfield near Goose Green but AFAIK none was ever actually used.

WP grenades are used by practically every armed force, as well as their incendiary properties they can be used to give a useful smoke cover IIRC.

3. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    I remember dimmly remember a reference in The Battle for the Falklands by Max Hastings to napalm being used. Either it missed or failed to ignite. As I say dimmly remembered so I wouldn't bet my life that I'm right.

4. markvs

markvs New Member

via TanksinWW2
    As a school student in the seventies I remember seeing some anti war/ why there was war movies. Some of these movies contained footage from the asian campaign where throwers were used apparently extensively. The effect it had on the victims was both lethal and absolutely terrifying. The main use was to winkle out japs from bunkers/caves. Apparently there would have been much greater loss of allied lives had they not been used. I think that, really there was no easy alternative to the methods used, as brutal as they were. I feel for the men who operated the units, as it was not an impersonal war, it was really up close and personal.

5. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    AFAIK the US has not had napalm bombs in the military inventory for quite some time (mid 80s?).

6. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
  7. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If it turns out that "firebombs" (no actual napalm for many years) were indeed used I don't have a problem with that. What is the difference between blowing up the enemy and burning them up? Anything that saves the lives of our soldiers/Marines and that is effective at killing the enemy, I'm for it.