Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

FMC Food Machine Corporation

Discussion in 'Allied Military vehicles used during WWII' started by Prospero Quevedo, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Fmc designed and built most of our lvts during the war based on Donald Roeblings original alligator design. The original alligator was deemed unsuitable for military use but showed promise and the marines pressed Roebling to design one for their needs. Roebling made a new design that the navy and marines accepted. FMC resisted it for manufacture the LVT 1 proved unsatisfactory in proving test and agiain redesigned LVT 2 was wider longer redesigned swimming tracks. This vehicle was it. The LVT 3 followed slightly larger. I was suprised all LVTs at this point were plain steel. The LVTA1 then2/4/5. I really wasn't impressed with the Stuart turret as the 37 always proved to be under powered and the marines complained as such, then the 4 and 5 with the M8 turret better but howitzers have always proven to not compare with direct fire weapons. So again the marines asked for a solution. The LVT A1/M24 prototype built tested and passed with recommended changes for production unfortunately the war ended before production could start. I tried to find drawings of the projected final model but could only find the first M24 prototype. Tried to contact FMC but they only have a phone number could not find a web site. I think it would have been great if they had built it. The marines used the LVT 3/4/5 in Korea and used them inland carrying supplies but again had the problem of direct fire support unless accompanied by a tank.
    FMC still going strong with the Bradley and Bradley based support vehicles the MRLs and the mobile command center and resupply vehicles. Of course their main business food machinery for farming. Roebling's widow donated one of his early alligators to the marines that sits in the marines museum for the history of LVTs.

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...for next time, Marines should be capitalized ...if you would
    ....o, I see they did farm equipment, etc...not so much a food company? built in Florida? lots of swamp/etc testing area down there

3. Prospero Quevedo

Yeah I was surprised to food machine corporation, the original builder of the alligator had them fab parts for his rescue vehicle then back to them to build his military prototype then for mass production since he could not. I was trying to contact FMC to see if they had any archived drawings of what the final AVT 75/24 turret would have looked like but can't find the correct web address most of what I found was for farm equipment complaints or sales and related questions.

4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..I'd like to see the machines/drawings/etc they used

5. Prospero Quevedo

If I can get anything I will do my best to post them. I,took drafting I would have loved to draw up blue prints for projects like that. That Chinese amphibious vehicle is something could probably run rings around our AAVT. They say they got the bugs worked out, lol, that thing was super fast and sank super fast too.

6. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..I've ridden in AAV7s and drove one once .....I can post pics if you want

7. Prospero Quevedo

That would be kewl I bought like three or four when dml came out with them in my scale144th. That was terrible about that one that was lost near Catalina. The report I read said it was not properly maintained and never should have been launched in the first place.