Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For the other Astronuts out there

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Hi Suzie!
    Not that I've heard or know of, but there have been a few close calls with all the space junk!

2. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

Then I suggest we send out one of these... any volunteers?

[​IMG]

3. Biak

HA, just did a quick check and they are tracking roughly 20,000 pieces of operational, broken or dead satellites and other loose stuff 'floating' around. At over 17,000 mph! Hope that garbage truck has a large payload bay :) One defunct satellite is as big as that truck!

4. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

well I just found the answer to my own question. Appearently there was a collission up in space in 2009 Russian satellite hit an American satellite. Both satellites were destroyed in the collission which of course, creating more debris. There's got to be a way to clean up all that mess... Gosh where's the star trek people when we need them!!!

[video=youtube;UjnMoPrxujM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjnMoPrxujM[/video]

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Good point - Already getting to ridiculous proportions...Very diificult getting to all the debri to collect (though not impossible)...My mind says it will either have to be a weapon of some description, vapourising the offending item at the speed of light. A radar locks on and a suitable "high energy" device deployed. OR a magnetic device that "collects" debri...much like tacks on a table, scattered, put a powerful magnet on the table and everything sprints towards it...(A high powered elecrtomeganetic "skirt" or "Sphere" or "halo" is attatched to this device... again, vapourising the debri on contact.)
    Could be the thing we need to work on a workable tractor beam also...Kirk!? Is that you?

6. Biak

Heads-Up for Northern Cali' and a few rogues on here;

Solar eclipse: Excitement builds as event nears - latimes.com

The best view of the ring eclipse -- which scientists call an "annular" eclipse, in which the moon completely blocks out the sun except for an annulus, or ring of fire, around the moon's edge -- is expected to be on the northern edge of California, coursing near Eureka, Redding, the northern suburbs of Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

7. Biak

8. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Roger, Thought I would put this here since I like this thread so much and know how you love the aeronautical aspects of things.

Flickr: Space Shuttle Endeavour

Flickr: nasa hq photo's Photostream

At 11 a.m. EDT (8 a.m. PDT), NASA Television will air the departure of Endeavour from Edwards Air Force Base as it begins its California flyover: I think there will be hd digital recordings available for viewing anytime.
    http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For more information about NASA's transfer of space shuttles to museums, visit:
    NASA - Transition
    For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:
    http://www.nasa.gov

The SCA and Endeavour will salute NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center and the Edwards Air Force Base area after takeoff with a low flyby northbound to Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area.
    Any time after 9:30 a.m. PDT, watch for Endeavour from viewing locations that include the Bay Area Discovery Museum, Chabot Space and Science Center, the California State Capitol,Exploratorium, Lawrence Hall of Science and Monterey Bay Aquarium.
    Next the aircraft will travel south, making a pass over NASA's Ames Research Center andVandenberg Air Force Base before heading into the Los Angeles area.
    Any time after 11:30 a.m., watch for flyovers of Endeavour passing regional landmarks such as its future home at the California Science Center (40 minutes from me at USC), Columbia Memorial Space Center in Downey, Disneyland, The Getty Center, Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles City Hall, the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific, Malibu Beach, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, the Queen Mary, Universal Studios and Venice Beach, among others.
    Finally, the SCA and Endeavour will land about 12:45 p.m., at Los Angeles International Airport(LAX) for an arrival ceremony before Endeavour is taken off the 747. The orbiter will be transported to the California Science Center next month.
    The exact timing and path of the ferry flight will depend on weather conditions and operational constraints. Some planned flyovers or stopovers could be delayed or canceled.
    For more information about NASA's transfer of space shuttles to museums, visit:

Read more here: NASA Invites Californians To Participate In Endeavour Flyover - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee

SOURCE NASA

9. Biak

Thanks for bumping the thread Rick. I hope the folks in California enjoy. I still think a Shuttle should have gone to Mission Control in Houston and maybe one to the Air Force Museum in Dayton. New York?? forgetaboutit!
    There's been a lot of "Spacey" type things going on lately and I'd forgotten about the posting or been too lazy to do so. Voyager 1 & 2 are leaving the Solar System heading for Deep Space; Clint posted about the 'Warp-Drive' SpaceTime conundrum spaceship; They've found yet another Galaxy farther away hence older (if they keep this up they will soon find a Galaxy older than the Universe :) )

10. Biak

11. Biak

Lots of space type stories out there today. Here's a couple;

[TABLE="align: right"]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

The Air Force has announced that one of its 29-foot long X-37B unmanned space planes will launch on another classified mission in October and this time has left some faint hints of what the aircraft's activities might involve. Previous missions of X-37B space planes ended in December 2010, after 255 days, and in June 2012, after 469 days. Both of those flights landed at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, and little is known about what the aircraft did while in orbit. Air Force spokesperson Maj. Tracy Bunko has indicated the X-37B helps the Air Force test how new payload systems and technologies perform in space. It also brings those payloads back for detailed inspection providing "significantly better learning than can be achieved by remote telemetry alone." The next trip may not return to Vandenberg.
    The X-37B has launched aboard an Atlas 5 rocket from Florida's Cape Canaveral and will do so again in October, but this time, the Air Force says it is considering a landing at NASA Kennedy Space Center. The move could save money by making better use of previous investments and infrastructure available there. The exact date of launch is dependent on weather and technical factors. The Air Force has two X-37B vehicles and the one used for the October mission will be the same vehicle that took the first trip in 2010. Each vehicle is 29 feet long and 15 feet wide. It houses a payload bay similar in size to that of a pickup truck. The vehicle is a Boeing product operated by the U.S. Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office. Third X-37B Launch Expected, Few Details

AND

A newly discovered comet has the potential to put on a dazzling celestial display late next year, when it will be so bright you may be able to see it briefly in the daytime sky.
    The discovery of the object named Comet ISON was announced Monday (Sept. 24) by Russians Vitali Nevski and Artyom Novichonok, who detected it in photographs taken three days earlier using a 15.7-inch (0.4-meter) reflecting telescope of the International Scientific Optical Network (ISON), near Kislovodsk. The new comet is officially known as C/2012 S1.
    When first sighted, Comet ISON was 625 million miles (1 billion kilometers) from Earth and 584 million miles (939 million km) from the sun, in the dim constellation of Cancer. It was shining at magnitude 18.8 on the reverse scale used by astronomers to measure the brightness of sky objects (the lower the number, the brighter the object). That makes the comet currently about 100,000 times fainter than the dimmest star that can be seen with the unaided eye.
    More on this here: http://www.space.com/17762-newfound-comet-dazzling-2013-display-c2012s1.html

12. Biak

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Slow and steady wins the race. I'm glad so many people got to see it. Wish I was one.

14. Biak

To think the shuttles "cruise speed" was a tad over 17,000mph. 12 miles in under 3 seconds :eek:

15. Biak

Since we just watched the shuttle Endeavour moving at 2 mph now we can see (maybe) a man traveling faster than the speed of sound; Felix Baumgartner jumps from 120,000 feet this morning.

Red Bull Stratos - YouTube

16. Biak

Launch and he is on his way !!!!!!!!!

17. Biak

FREAKING SUPERMAN !

18. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Yeah, watched that with the wife on her laptop while eating lunch! Man...its like watching the moon landings unfold! He got three records (highest balloon ride, fastest freefall, and highest freefall, I think), anybody know if they've confirmed he hit the speed of sound?

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I just noticed that all the delaying waiting for the winds and weather to clear up for Fearless Felix to make his jump into history, he managed to do it on the anniversary of one Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier in 1947. One by rocket plane, one by gravity on the same date.

20. Biak

By one account he was clocked at 833 miles per hour or Mach 1.24 !! He was falling too fast to leave him enough time to get the length/time of freefall. I watched it from launch to touchdown and agree with you RabidAlien, it was like watching a moon mission or one of the early shuttle mission. One question I have is; did he break the sound barrier or due to the thin atmosphere just exceed the speed of sound at sea level? Realizing that the "Just" is a minor understatement. :)