Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For Those Interested in Archaeology

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by GRW, Jan 19, 2009.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Kendusimmus and C.Evans like this.
  2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

3. GRW

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you again Mate;-))I needed this to help get my mind off of my last posting about our new Prez.

5. GRW

6. GRW

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh,it's looking like they are beginning to find the Mother Lode-as it were-of prehistoric remains. I wish I could visit a few of those Digs. The last dig I went on was for the CC museum of science and history. We "visited" a fairly recently found wreck of a Spanish Ship--I forget what its name is/was.

8. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

This is part of a presentation I made to the Genealogy Society on Immigration:

"
    There are at least four conflicting beliefs about the origin of Native Americans:

Until recently, a consensus among scientists was that prior to perhaps 11,200 years ago, the Western Hemisphere was completely devoid of humans. They believed that:
    § Ancestors of aboriginals came via a land bridge from Siberia and down through the Western Corridor through what is Canada and the Great Plains to the American Southwest.
    § Within a few thousand years, they had made it all the way to the tip of South America.
    Recent archaeological discoveries have convinced some scientists that people may have arrived far earlier than about 9200 BCE "in many waves of migration and by a number of routes" -- perhaps even from Australia, South Asia and/or Europe.

The impact of this new prehistory on Native Americans could be grave. They usually consider themselves to be Asian in origin; and to have been subjugated by Europeans after 1492. If they too were partly Europeans, the dividing lines would be instantly blurred

Dr Joallyn Archambault of the American Indian Programme of the Smithsonian Institute offers a positive interpretation, however. Venturing across huge bodies of water, she says, is a clear demonstration of the courage and creativity of the Native Americans' ancestors. Bruce Bradley agrees. He feels his Solutrean Ice Age theory takes into consideration the abilities of people to embrace new places, adding, "To ignore this possibility ignores the humanity of people 20,000 years ago.“

In 2004 radio carbon dating of tools found by Dr. Albert Gooyear in South Carolina indicated humans in North America over 50,000 years ago.

Archaeological finds in South America indicate that the Indian peoples there had lived in cities by the time the later Asian peoples came across the Bering Strait.

What does this have to do with the genealogy research of most of us– it indicates the importance of knowing factually the history of our families and the times and places in which they lived. Knowing the archaeology or knowing about the artefacts they left behind can give us clues as to our ancestors origin. And an emerging tool for family historians is the use of DNA as a means to trace the migratory patterns of our ancestors, potentially leading us over some brick walls to geographic areas where we can continue our research outside of North America."

Skull May Prove Solutrean Hypothesis | The Right Perspective

The Peopling of the American Continents The Peopling of the American Continents

C.Evans likes this.
  9. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

I forgot to say thanks for posting the interesting links, Gordon!

10. GRW

My pleasure, Michelle.
    I liked your presentation too. :cool:

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Michelle, thank you for the additional info. As a rare thing-I actually will have a chance to go back and reread things in those links that I had to skim over-due to being left the computer ;-D

12. GRW

C.Evans likes this.
  13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks Mate, i'll take alook see providing the internet here will let me. Have having a terrible time getting into any website today :-((

14. GRW

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Mate--I sure did. Also, I wonder if they have any connection to the Pueblans (SP?) and the Navajo?

16. GRW

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Mate-I needed some more good reading today ;-)) I know so little about the area where the Treasure Coast is located. I also need to "bone up" on stuff dealing with the Dead Sea, as well ;-))

Dang it, I tried to give you some Rep points for this but I was told i gave out too many in the past 24 hrs--THATS a first ::darthvader:

18. GRW

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Gordon, thank you for more to read ;-)) That will definately make my day ;-))

Hope your weekend was good and fruitful for you-mine was nice but slow spending most of it trying to catch up on a few other sites whilst posting a list of Blutordentragers ;-)) Sigh, im still far from finished with it ;-))

Take care Mate--Carl.

20. GRW