Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For Those Interested in Archaeology

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by GRW, Jan 19, 2009.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Gordon, thats interesting to see. I always thought the oldest art found here was created by the Pueblos or a tribe like them. Learn something new every day ;-)) Thanks Mate.

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Great article Mate. Just gets you to wondering about them more though. Also, I can't remember where but, I read a story I guess about to years ago that some "natives" of a certain part of West Texas, knew about artwork done by "Cavemen" that is still easily visable on rock formations in the area-and still in great condition considering these works are exposed to ma nature all the time. Anyway, these were supposedly found after a few people stumbled across a Mammoth leg bone somewhere in the area. Ill see if I can "dig" anything up on this-pardon the pun.

4. GRW

C.Evans likes this.
  5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Mate-that's some good stuff. ;-)) I might add that I hope a lot more than just this makes it to British TV-and to also make up for you all as having to endure Suddenly Susan ;-))

Take care mate--Carl.

PS, thanks to just finishing watching: The Fall of the Roman Empire-it's greatly renewed my interests in that direction as well. I almost had a Roman Coin once-and for only $5 bucks too. I don't know why I never bought it though?

6. GRW

It's amazing what you buy on the spur of the moment mate!
    You might appreciate this btw-
    http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus/english/news/2009-07-14_114383620.html
    A few years ago I found an oddly-shaped stone while out hillwalking, and although I'm convinced it's a prehistoric tool of some kind (it's right-angled, flat- bottomed and about a foot long) I've yet to make it into the local museum to get a real expert to look at it.
    One of these days though.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Gordon, thanks for the link and also, can you post a pic of that stone you found? I might actually be able to help you on it. Back when I was volunteering at the CC Museum of Science and History, one such pleasure i had, was that I was the one allowed to handle their stone age studd. Not only did I get to handle spear and arrowheads and such but they also has tools made of stone, sharks teeth and stone. Let me know if you can post a pic of t? and ill see what I can do. I wish I still had access to the Museums computers because on t was a datebase of their stone age tools and weapons-and we could have compared yours with theirs.

I don't know if I ever told you or not? but back when I was a Teenager, I found what I then and still believe-to be a spearpoint made from Obsidian. I still have it lurking about somewheres ;-))

Take care mate--C.

8. GRW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers mate, I appreciate it. Here's a few not very good pics I took a couple of years ago. The square "handle" end was sticking up out of a red ant's nest when I found it; I actually tripped over it, thinking it was a tree root.

C.Evans likes this.
  9. GRW

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hiu Gordon, sorry I couldn't get back here before today to reply to you my friend. Since Monday morn, we hav e had no internet at home thanks to some street construction going on nearby-and im not sure when it will be restored? Hopefully by Monday??

Anyway, that does look like a tool-I saw a "slot" where the handle would have been attached on it and secured with wetted down leather strips so when the leather dries, the strips would shrink down and hold the strips and stone in place tightly.

I can't give a year on the tool though-could easily go back at least 6 thousand years. The Obsidian piece I had would be within about a thousand years of your piece.

Take care Mate and hope this helps out any?

11. GRW

Cheers Carl,
    Another piece of the puzzle found. Would have liked to see that Obsidian spearpoint of yours. :cool:

C.Evans likes this.
  12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Mate, I wish I had kept the Obsidian piece ;-)) I'd have loved to have sent it to you. I also used to have about a dozen Arrowheads that I had found when I was much younger-which were Arrowheads used by the Karankawa Indians ;-)) I gave all of those away a long time ago too. However, if your interested? I still have two very nicely preserved U.S. Civil War lead bullet-heads that I found on a relatives property which includes part of the Lookout Mountain Battlefield in Tennessee--about 30 years ago. I found both bulletheads inside a hollowed-out or rotted out part of a tree that was on their property. They are "whitened" with age but in great condition. You can still see the "rings" around the base-where the wooden "plug" would be as well as the paper-casings. I know I still have these and if you want them? just let me know and they are yours. I don't know if they are worth anything? but it's two items I found-that are American Civil War. I also found a button from a Yankee Army Shell Jacket (probably Cavalry or Artillery)-which is made of either Brass or Bronze? not sure? but the G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) Eagle is in great shape. I know I still have the button as well-just have not seen it since moving. I was thinking of possibly getting rid of it too but not yet sure on it.

Take care mate-and glad to try to help out on your stone tool or weapon head ;-))

GRW likes this.
  13. GRW

Carl-
    Thanks, but the buttons and bullets should really stay near their point of origin. Appreciate the offer though. :cool:

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

No prob/ Mate ;-)) They are yours if you change your mind? These also deserve to be preserved in the collection that is in VERY capable hands too ;-))

15. GRW

C.Evans likes this.
  16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Mate, thanks for the link to a great find. I've never heard of the "Clovis" spearpoints but I do remember that the museum I used to volunteer for, they got to go on a dig that was somewhere in Arizona. They came back with allkinds of interesting things like a strip of leather with colorful stones strung on it, soem arrowheads, some broken pieces of pottery and I think even the remnants of a sandal. I don't remember what all was said about these things since i was more in charge of getting info and such on items dating to about the 12th Century on up to more modern times.

17. GRW

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi MAte, thanks for this one as well ;-)) If I can ever get my computer to cooperate? i'd love to do some research into the Clovis finds.

19. GRW

I think it would be helluva interesting!

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Me too for that matter ;-)) that is, I would think it very interesting if my computer would start cooperating with my internet needs ;-))