Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For Those Interested in Archaeology

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by GRW, Jan 19, 2009.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

C.Evans likes this.
  2. GRW

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Mate, and Merry Christmas. My computer is running super slow and I can't access links from it but, I will be going to use the library computers tomorrow and will check them out. Oh and, you will never believe what I saw for sale at a local Pawn Brokers Shop here in Austin. I saw a Megladon Sharks Tooth for sale for $250.00. I thought that was kinda high priced for a Megladons tooth but, it was larger than you normally might se so I guess thats a bit of a rarer one to have. I have seen them for sale at around $100 bucks per-but those are usually smaller than the one I saw. The one saw-would fit into a Shark that is about the size of one of those world famous Double Decker busses that go about in London.

4. GRW

5. GRW

This one's definitely right up your street, mate!

With apologies for cross and multiple postings, here is an announcement of an event for your diaries. Our American colleagues are keen to see a large non-US representation, hence this very early warning. A call for sessions and papers will be posted soon. See www.sha.org for information about the SHA.

Make Plans Now for the annual meeting of the Society for Historical Archaeology,

5 – 8 January 2011

Kick Up Your Heels in Austin , Texas !!

Come and Experience the Live Music Capital of the World!

Boundaries and Crossroads in Action:

Global Perspectives in Historical Archaeology

Over time, Texas has been variously referred to as a frontier, colony, empire, borderland, hub, republic, and state. This changing configuration of Texas ’ role in the modern world was shaped by multiple factors, including forced and voluntary immigrations and the attempts at empire building by various nations. The contributions of Native Americans, Euroamericans, African Americans, and peoples of diverse nationalities, including Mexicans, Germans, Spaniards, and the French, underscore the state’s rich legacy. Boundaries and crossroads both conceptualize and capture the subsequent exchanges, conflicts, challenges, and accomplishments of a range of individuals and groups as they sought to establish themselves in an ever-transforming world. Yet, we are interested in a broader application of the theme and view it as related to a much wider scope of issues, questions, and practices both in the past and present.
    Boundaries and crossroads evoke two distinct but related spheres of engagement and interaction, in geographical, social, and intellectual terms. While “boundaries” seek to demarcate space and cohesiveness, in reality the lines drawn are porous and subject to multiple, and often disputed, crossings. Similarly, while “crossroads,” as intersections, imply points of contact and exchange, these processes are often fraught with contestation. Together, boundaries and crossroads are sites of action and simultaneously represent negotiated spaces, processes, identities and change. We propose an inclusive and more universal definition of these concepts and seek theoretical, thematic, and geographical translations of “boundaries” and “crossroads” in session papers and topics that emphasize the global nature of historical and underwater archaeology.
    As sites of potential conflict, negotiation is often required when travelling across boundaries, and moving within crossroads. We see this challenge as an opportunity for enriching the discipline with regard to theory and practice, and reconceptualising traditional subject matters. For example, we recognize the need to cross geographical and intellectual boundaries to develop more global, comparative bodies of research in order to address such issues as social inequality, capitalism, trade, and alternative strategies of colonization. Sessions might interrogate the crossroads of identity formation by considering the intersection of ethnicity, gender, race, and/or class. Cultural contact is a nexus of interaction that as a process serves as a vehicle by which people construct, negotiate, and deploy boundaries and crossroads. Yet we also see boundaries and crossroads in the realm of public archaeology, where practitioners work emphatically to transgress boundaries and to establish inclusive, mutually beneficial relationships with various publics. Heritage and archaeological sites and museums often signify cultural crossroads or archaeology/public boundaries. How do we constructively negotiate these spaces? Finally, sessions might explore the boundaries between and crossroads/intersections of academic and CRM archaeology, or terrestrial and underwater archaeology, in search of more productive ways to work together.

Austin is an exciting and dynamic city located in the heart of Texas . It is made up of a diverse blend of cultures and lifestyles that can be experienced through everything from music and dining to architecture, art, and history. A big part of Austin 's local scene is the great outdoors—with Hill Country vistas bordering the city, Lady Bird Lake in the centre of town near the conference hotel, miles of hike and bike trails, and more than 200 parks.
    By day conference attendees will enjoy presentations and workshops on the latest research in historical archaeology and by night be will within walking distance of the best live music and night life found anywhere. At your leisure you may take one of the downtown Austin walking or driving tours of local historic neighbourhoods, the State Capitol Complex, and nearby art and history museums. Several museums are on the University of Texas campus, only minutes from the conference hotel. Enjoy scheduled bus tours of the Spanish Colonial Mission Trail of San Antonio (including the Alamo), the Centre for Maritime Archaeology and Conservation laboratories at Texas A&M University , and the Texas Hill Country Historic Wine tour. And you won’t want to miss our reception at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum and our Pub Crawl and Scavenger Hunt on famous 6th Street , the heart of Austin ’s music scene!

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Speaking of Megladons teeth. I saw about 10 up for sale at the local monthly Gunshow just yesterday. These were Fossilized but really in great condition-and cheap prices too. I was tempted to buy a couple but, I bought one of those ""Russian"" Winter Fur hats instead ;-))

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi mate, all the above is true about Austin. The neighborhood I live in has a mixture of cultures which I find invigorating and interesting at the same time. As i walk past one house, they might be speaking English, the next you could hear African, the next would be Spanish, after that could be Vietnamese-then Russian and finally Middle-eastern./ The neighborhood at dinnertime-smells pretty good with the different types of food these people eat.

Take care Gordon, and if I come across that guy who was trying to sell those Megladon fossilized teeth, ill gladly buy you one. I thinkhe will be set up at the Crockett Expo Center next month. Im also hoping to do a trade with a militaria dealer-some of my stuff-for an original but non-working MP-40 SMG. His price is high, but my trading prices will also be high-so--hopefully by next month-hopefully ill be the proud "papa" of an MP-40 :-=D

8. GRW

9. GRW

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

11. GRW

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Mate, no problem and I also know your busy with family stuff ;-)) Thanks fro this opne as well, and it is a great start to a promising new year full of this stuff.

Take care Mate--Carl.

13. GRW

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

hanks for this diversion MAte-I needed it. I just got hit with a 180 Euro surprise today :-( I had placed an order for three books back in June and they never charged me the full fees for it-and now im having to catch up and pay them off. I had always assumed they did indeed get the money for these books but-apparently not.

15. GRW

I hate it when that happens, mate. :mad:

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Me too, especially when i owe a lot of you Gents here some long promised stuff. At least I got word that they will take it in two installments-so I can possibly still get a few things out in Feb ;-))

Oh and I cought part of something in the news late last night, I don't know when it happened but, apparently some Professor travelled to SOuth American somewhere and bought a Dinosaurs skull from some villager who fopund it years ago. Ill see if I can find anything on the net about it and actually give you soemthig for a change ;-))

Take care Mate--Carl.

17. GRW

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi mate and rats. The link didn't work for me. I'd love to se what those carvings look like ;-))

19. GRW

Wonder what the problem is, mate?

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Gordon, I dont know? I had that problem using the library computers in Corpus christi too. I used to have to ask a librarian to get in touch with central library and have them clear it. They fiorst had to look at the website in question before deciding to allow me in or not. They even did it to this site about 2 yrs ago.

I thik the trouble has to do wioth their Security Filtering System?

Take care Mate--carl.