Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Forums are Hopppin' Today!

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Peppy, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Dang, the site has a lot of traffic today, but I can't say I mind at all! :D :D

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Hey Peppy ! I wanted to say thanks for your wishes to me the other day. Yes we have now the largest fire in the US just 30 miles to the west. It grew over 10,000 acres last night with the wind change, so it stands at over 185,000 acres and growing. They have made a fire line the width of a bulldozer but it appears the fires will merge today and will run the length of over 25 miles !! :eek: :eek: , basically our area is now screwed as we also have a 20,000 acre fire burning to the N.E. too and since my heimat is inbetween two major hill areas the smoke collects in here. Quite a wild looking sunrise this morning at 6 a.m. but it is socked in and we are all gaging. We have more fires than manpower and the big one is going crazy with harldy a soul trying to put it out. and to think the idiots just wanted to monitor it when it was about 150 acres in size a week and 1/2 ago....morons !!

sorry for the rant guys ....

E

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Must be one of my least favourite phrases of officialdom : -

'We're monitoring the situation....' :mad:

4. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Sounds awful Erich. saw pcs of it on the news last night, and it looked like hell.

My fingures and crossed for you and everyone else.

Peppy, the only probem with it being so busy is trying to keep up with he posts.
    As for me, i'm making the most of my last couple of days off work before the long haul across the pond.

5. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Peppy-
    Yes, its good to see how the Forums here have progressed in the last year. What's more exciting is that it keeps getting better with no downward spiral in sight. Take a look at the "links" section. I honestly cannot find a more complete one-stop WW2 site.

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Thanks guys ! It doesn't appear to be good for us. What a insane way to get TV news coverage for the area. :mad: :mad:

E

7. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I wish everything goes fine, Erich!

I am really fine right now; starting a new life, because there is money, work, health, love, many new good members in the forums ;) and I saw Johann Paul II yesterday. :eek: Mein Gott! I am not a deep catholic but the man is impressive!!! :eek:

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Danke Schön freund ! :D It looks very bad as the fire is now only 1-2 miles from the main Highway.... :eek:

E

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Forums are hopping--thanks to the efforts os so many fine people here.

I had not known of fires on Oregon!!!! when the heck did this happen?!?!?!?

As you can tell--I watch so little TV and especially news--these days. Hope everything stays fine for you, the family and the homstead. I would almost bet that this was another careless camper who started the whole thing. The last time I listened to the news, was when they were talking about the fires that were set by a part-time firefighter--in Colorado.

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl my friend, the 3 fires to the west of us started by lightining about 1 1/2 weeks ago and then it got to 110 degrees the following day and stayed at around 100-104 the next 4 days. We have had a windy hot dry spring/summer so far and the fuels are active. There is one fire the Florence which started north and the Bisquit complex is two fires to the south. They have merged as of last night though the news media would say that they haven't. The outhern fires-Bisquit is threatening the Redwoods to our south in Oregon and into California plus two small coastal California communities. In oregon it is threatening three communites less than 25 miles to our west. It ocovers now over 25 miles in length, and one highway is officially closed due to the smoke and fire. Escape routes for these people are running few as they will most likley come to our town of 23,000 na fill our ranks with ? numbers. The fires are in a designated roadless area that is really off limits to almsot everyone. Fires are rare fortuantely here but they have been weather induced the last 15 plus years, but usually we get a bit of rain to put them out. Not this year.

E

11. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Erich, remember, when is doubt, take a shower! Seriously though, I hope the fires gets rained on real soon. We don't need any BBQ Erich anytime soon.

12. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I saw something about the current 30 or so fires going on in the states. I think the number is higher then that, but the other ones are easily put out. The majority of this years forest fires have taken place in Oregon. Or something like that.

Only serious thing here has been droughts over the past few years. Nothing too serious, but having a week of 90 - 100 degree weather isnt so great. Its been pretty much in the low to high 90s here recenetly, am i am due for a week of soccer in Mexico come Aug 7th! I hope everything has drastically cooled down by then, otherwise the water in mexico wont kill me - the heat will!

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Yep, my sunglasses are almost ready to be put on as I just closed all the windows in the house, my eyes are burnin bad. :cool: :cool:

I would look pretty stupid being turned on a spit ;) , and probaly taste really awful :D :eek:

E

14. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I hope the fires will die out soon, Erich, and that you and yours will be unscathed...

Where are those smokejumpers when you need them...??

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Thanks again gents ! Ever walked through brown-white fog ? That's what it resembles today. White/grey ash on everything and the east hill not even 1/2 mile away, I can barely see the outline of it.....going to wash off my truck so I can taste more of this crap in my mouth.....uk !!
    The area that the big fire to our west is in is off limits to a/c or smoke jumpers. It is much too steep and they have let the stupid fire go for so long it is so hot and tall that only helicopters are getting in while the trucks and bulldozers are staying out by the highway. Oregon has the most and largest fires of any of the the staes right now with the one to our west the largest.

E, spitting the wood fiber out of his mouth.

16. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Mein Duce! When and where exactly are you coming?! You will have a German friend in Mexico to visit. ;)

Again, Erich, hope everything goes fine and unburnt.

Otto, did you see the pope there in Toronto?

I did twice. :rolleyes:

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich--I finally watched some news late last night and saw some footage--JAYSUS, I sure hope they get it out soon. I heard the fires are threatening the giant Redwood Trees, those babies have been there since the dinosaurs ruled.

Had I been living in your area--I would have to wear an oxygen tank--because of my asthema. Just thinking of smelling and breathing the smoke--chokes me up.

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Aesthma ! what a drag Carl :( the smoke is almost making us all sick here. Don;t have the inversion yet like yesterday but I see out the window a breeze is coming up so it would be of great benefit if it blew back on itself....it's around 190,000 acres now and toasted the boy scout camp up in the hills totally.....gone :mad:

30minute evac notice if necessary in that valley if needed. They are all getting ready for the big purge over in our direction.

E

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Tell me about it. I have had it all my life. Im almost coughing just thiking about it.