Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

found at Moissy ford

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by gonzleton, Aug 29, 2015.

1. gonzleton

gonzleton New Member

I found these things a few metres from Moissy Ford on 21st Aug 2015, exactly 71
    Years from when the ‘Falaise pocket’ was finally closed.

The small arms rounds are 7.92mm, 9mm and one of unknown calibre , the complete 7.92mm case is stamped 1937 and the damaged one 1936 or 1938.

The T-slotted bracket I found in the same hedgerow as everything else I presume is from a horse drawn cart or something like that? Any ideas please get back to me.
    I found the part of the leather strap on the ground, sadly there were no metal
    buckles to be found with it. My Brother found loads of buckles a short distance away.

The pound coin I wish I had more of...

Regards and happy hunting, Gonzleton

Attached Files:

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nice relics and thanks for sharing.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Thanks for sharing!

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Aah..happy memories of relic-hunting over the years at Moissy Ford ! I still treasure the box of bits I found with 'Jagdpanther44' there nearly ten years ago now.....

Nice bits you've found - the piece with the T-shaped hold doesn't look to be from an armoured vehicle : sadly, vehicle parts from that area are almost impossible to identify because so many hose-drawn trailers plus motor transport of all kinds ( including much captured civilian ) was pressed into service for the retreat. Don't give up, though - it took 15 years before someone identified the FlaK 38 breech block which I picked up less than a mile from Moissy in 1997.......

5. gonzleton

gonzleton New Member

Thanks for the replies. Martin, I shall keep looking for an I.D for the T-slotted bracket. We've already got a return trip planned and we haven't been back in the UK a week yet. I shall put some more posts on for other relics I have found around Normandy. Regards Gonzleton

6. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Blimey! Was it really that long ago that we were there...how time flys!

I too have found lots of stuff near the Moissy ford during many of my trips to the area. I remember pulling handfuls of German 9mm live rounds from the ground next to the lane that leads down to the river. All were then unceremoniously dumped in the water further downstream.

I have a lump of rusty and twisted metal that I found in one of the fields close to the ford many years ago that I could never identify until a friend suggested that it could part of a Panzerfaust warhead. A little interweb searching confirmed that it was indeed the tubular section of the projectile that the stabilizer fins attached to.