Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

France apologizes to Algerian Harkis

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Sep 20, 2021.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Still feeling the repercussions of that war 59 years later.
    "PARIS — French President Emmanuel Macron apologized Monday to Algerians who fought alongside French colonial forces in Algeria's war for independence, and were then massacred and ostracized as traitors.
    In a solemn ceremony interrupted by the cries of one fighter's daughter, Macron also promised a law guaranteeing reparations for the contingent known as the harkis. The distraught woman, who said she grew up in a camp where France sequestered harkis after the war, argued that the law wouldn't go far enough to fix the damage.
    Harkis and their descendants feel France abandoned and mistreated them after the war, one of the darkest chapters in France's modern history. Around 200,000 fought against fellow Algerians in the 1954-1962 war, and tens of thousands of harkis were killed after the French withdrawal.
    Those who made it to France were placed in camps, and many were denied access to school and other rights. A few thousand harkis are believed to still be alive today.
    "I ask your forgiveness," Macron told harkis and their descendants gathered in the French presidential palace.
    "We will continue to bandage the wounds as long as they haven't healed through words of truth. That is why the government will present a bill aimed at inscribing recognition and reparations in the marble of our laws," Macron said."
    www.stripes.com/theaters/africa/2021-09-20/macron-france-algeria-french-colony-independence-2952549.html

Kai-Petri likes this.
  2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Well, that is a start. How about Belgium and Turkey?

3. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

He was apologizing to the Harkis, not to Algeria.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Belgium and Turkey are just examples who should apologize.

5. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

SHOULD? The ones who ordered and committed the crimes have long died. Those alive today are under no obligation, unless they themselves are faulted. Later generations apologize only because it's to their own good interest.

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Is it Germany you are talking about? I cannot recall at least Turkey having done to Armenians anything bad in ww1. Or Belgians cutting hands before that?? Just being sarcastic. If you don't admit who says you ever will say Youre sorry?

7. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

Well, what's there to admit? It's a matter of historic record. Also, I'll go on the record here to say I now find holocaust remembrance pictures and stories tedious. Normally I'm interested but I'm not not required to see and read them everyday.