Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Frank L. Hassinger: The Records So Far

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Cadillac, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Cadillac

Cadillac Member

My grandmother wanted me to research her uncle, Frank L. Hassinger of the Marine Corps. She recalls that he had severe PTSD from the war and her aunt, who met him while he was stationed at the Naval Ammunition Depot in Nebraska, divorced him because of it. Grandma said he was never violent, just a changed man. I did some research and here's what I have so far.

- Enlisted and attended Boot Camp in January, 1943, at age 18. Trained with the 11th Recruit Battalion, Parris Island.

- Was assigned to Marine Barracks, Naval Ammunition Depot, Hastings, Nebraska as a Private First Class. Stayed there for a little under a year.

- Next assignment was to the Ordnance Platoon, H&S Company, 29th Marine Regiment as a Corporal. Was there for muster rolls dated July 1944 and October 1944, may have been present for some time by that point. (elements of the Ordnance platoon were attached to Company A of the 29th Marines during this time)

- In October 1944, along with several members of his unit, Frank was sentenced to several days in the brig for "promiscuous firearms discharge in restricted area." On October 24, he was transferred to Ordnance Company, 6th MarDiv.

- The next available muster rolls are dated Jan 1945 and Jul 1945. The January excerpt says nothing but his MOS, rank, and unit. The July roll, however, says "July 1-14, participated in the occupation and defense of Okinawa Shima, Ryukyu Retto; July 12, embarked aboard LST 945 at Okinawa Shima; July 15 sailed; July 22, arr and disemb at Guam, MI."

- Frank was discharged as a Corporal in 1947, having held the MOS of Armorer (511) his entire career.

My question is: when would he have seen combat?

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Probably Okinawa in April 1945.

3. Cadillac

Cadillac Member

Thank you Tommy, I understand that Okinawa would probably be the best bet. However, I wouldn't think that the Ordnance Company would see action often. As an armorer, would he have been lent to another unit and seen combat, or is there a documented instance of the 6th Service Battalion being attacked? Maybe he was with A Company, 29th Marines on Tinian or Saipan in 1944?

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I'm not much of an expert on the Marines. Hopefully one of our Marine experts will stop by and help with that.