Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

From the mail bag.

Discussion in 'Pearl Harbor' started by OpanaPointer, Sep 29, 2010.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

I get regular emails regarding the material on my site, so I thought I'd put the answer to some of them here in the hope of reducing the strain on gmail in the future.

"Dear pha, can you tell me how many times the Congressional Hearings have been opened, changed, and resealed?"

First, the Congressional Hearings were published in 1946, several thousand copies being sent to Repository Libraries across the nation, and others offered for sale. I have a set, second owner. So they were never closed in the first place.

Second, "changed" implies that the material has been edited in some fashion, presumably to change it to meet the current political paradigm? To do this "they" would have to find every copy of the Hearings and make seamless changes. The changes would also have to consistent with the entire body of work on the topic. For example, if an author quoted a passage from the Hearings, giving chapter and verse, then the "new" material would have to make sense in relation to that quote. And the changes would have be on paper that appeared to be from 1946.

So, the possibility of retrofitting the Hearings appears to rather small. Hence is reasonable to assume that the material is the actual material as published.

2. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Of course, your answer does not even matter to hardcore CT guys, since they believe that the "important stuff" was not even covered at the hearings, correct?