Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Fukushima More Dangerous Than Chernobyl

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Poppy, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Shambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3K
    blah blah blah
    edit

2. Takao

Takao Ace

I never joke about Gojira...

3. wm.

wm. Active Member

It's easy to kill electronics with radiation. If you computer dies or gets a fatal system error it's quite possible because was hit by a radiation from space, or by its own natural radiation.

4. lwd

lwd Ace

They can get an idea of age as long as the sample is undisturbed and contains the breakdown products. Since Iodine is pretty reactive and I believe most of the compounds are water soluble this is rather problematic. Given air samples even more so. Some other possibilities may exist but I'm guessing it's not an easy thing to do in this case.

5. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Correct. Most electronics have a surprisingly low dose tolerance. A typical commercial component can withstand a dose in the range of ~10 kRad. Design of high-tolerance equipment is significantly more difficult than most would expect, quite costly and very time consuming. It is not a trivial process.

There is a constant high energy cosmic radiation flux which all things on earth are subjected to -- i.e. your computer is constantly exposed to a wide spectrum of cosmic radiation. While cosmic ray induced memory errors are known, I have never heard of a computer being "killed" by cosmic radiation. What natural radiation is a computer emitting? Heat is radiated energy, but this is not ionizing (aka "nuclear") radiation. There are certainly trace amounts of radioactive materials in all objects, but this is not enough to destroy a computer.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana

Haven't seen all the movies?

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Went to more than a few service calls about false alarms...Customer would be told that a 'solar flare' caused comm problems with cell comm units and 900mhz wireless that report alarms.
    Could that be true-
    Thinking it was more of a mistake at the monitoring station, they get their info mixed up and respond to alarms at wrong locations...it happens a lot.
    Never had a cell malfunction on my phone- other than an occasional dropped call. Butt dialing maybe.

8. George Patton

Yes, solar flares are known to disrupt communications and other electrical infrastructure. For example, there was a large solar event in the late 1980s that knocked out power for several hours in Quebec.

9. wm.

wm. Active Member

For example:

What is a soft fail?
    - Errors in chips (logic, memory) that don’t cause permanent damage
    – Created by passage of energetic ionizing radiation through the sensitive volume of chips
    – This is a reliability problem for servers, laptops, smart devices, pacemakers, airplanes, autonomous cars, drones…

Sources of soft fails:
    - alpha particles from the natural radiation in chip packaging (ceramic, silicide, insulators, wafers, copper)
    – High energy neutrons which create highly ionizing particles when they interact w/ silicon (spallation)
    – Thermal neutrons interacting with 10B through the 10B (n,alpha) reaction

Or:
    One such issue is soft error, the temporary malfunction of device caused by the effect of radiation on the Si ICs [silicon computer chips]. One such radiation is high energy alpha particle whose main source is the solders used in the packaging. The continued scaling of complementary metal oxide semiconductor device technologies has led to continued device shrinkage and decreases in the operating voltage of the device transistors. Scaling has meant denser circuitry overall, thinner silicon (e.g., silicon on insulator) in logic applications, and less charge on capacitors for volatile memory. These trends have resulted in devices being more sensitive to soft errors since now low energy alpha particles can flip a memory bit or alter timing in a logic circuit.

10. George Patton

A "soft fail" is not synonymous with "dying" or "fatal errors", which is what you said in your previous message. The very first point of your list says this explicitly, and your second source explicitly states this as well. The technical content of these sources is valid (if of somewhat dubious real world value), but this is not what I responded to and not what you referred to. I did not state that there are no memory errors caused by cosmic radiation, nor did I state that there is no radioactive material in your computer. What I said was that neither cosmic radiation nor trace amounts of intrinsic radioactive material will lead to a computer "dying".

I have been in this industry for some time and have never heard of a computer being killed by radiation in a normal office / commercial environment (prolonged exposure in elevated field areas such as radiological labs or reactors is a different story, but from my experience outright fatal errors are still unusual).

11. wm.

wm. Active Member

Soft fails maybe look soft but they are quite frequently the cause of computers locking up or freezing.
    Killing not like with a nuclear weapon, but rather "end the task" which in Unix is actually "kill" or "killall".

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I'd like to own a soft tail...

13. Takao

Takao Ace

Are you referencing the motorcycle or a woman?

Inquiring minds want to know.

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Ummm...I can mount it...

15. Takao

Takao Ace

You can do that to both the motorcycle and the woman...

More clarification is necessary.

Thread derailed.

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

$hit ok...I meant the motorcycle...a classic among the pack.
    The other should be a firm perfect half crescent moon...cough...back to it!

17. wm.

wm. Active Member

Couple Caught Having Sex On Speeding Motorcycle While Driving Down Busy Highway
    Shocking video footage appears to show a young couple having sex on a motorbike as it speeds along a highway in Paraguay. Another motorist spotted the horny couple and managed to film the highly dangerous and completely illegal act as they overtook the man and woman.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Meanwhile, our food chain is being poisoned. Contaminated water continues to pour into the ocean.
    Guessing whales will be the first casualties.
    But MMGW , well algore says its important. Because- taxes. And polar bears. sniff.