Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Game 8

Discussion in 'Forum Gaming' started by Oli, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Great Britain

Chancellor MBT (Minefield Breaching Tank)

In response to the Infantristan requirement we offer the Chancellor MBT.
    Based on the Cromwell tank, the vehicle has a widened hull deck, extending the full vehicle width permitting use of a larger turret. This turret allows the fitting of a 17 pounder gun with a co-axial polsten 20 mm cannon for anti-infantry use at long range.

The vehicle has a standard Meteor engine (600 hp), for a top speed of 55 kph. Armour is identical with the Cromwell which has proved so popular and useful, and this vehicle shares its reliability.

Vehicle Specifications:
    Weight: 29465 kg/ 29 tons (max 31 tons)
    Size: see drawing
    Speed: 55 kph/ 34 mph
    Range: 288 km/ 178 miles
    Ground Pressure: 0.99 kg/ sq. cm/ 13 lbs/ sq. in
    Fording Depth: 1197 mm/ 47 inches

The Chancellor uses an improved version of Viper (which was so dangerous that it was withdrawn from service after one use). We have replaced the flexible hose with shortened bangalore torpedo tubes, which are dragged into place by a standard 3" rocket projectile (without warhead). The Chancellor carries, normally, two boxes (one each side of the enlarged turret) with blow-off lids. The rocket, when fired, removes the lid and by use of short sections of steel wire drags 21 bangalore torpedoes, each of 750 mm length, behind it. The final torpedo has steel wire of smaller braeking strain than the others in the string which snaps as the rocket motor burns out, ensuring that the entire chain is at full extension. Snapping the final wire also ignites the fuse which detonates the whole string, blowing a path up to 4 metres wide in the mine field. While the Chancellor normally is fitted for two boxes of mine clearin line charges, it may carry (in overload condition) a total of six, each of which is capable of clearing a 20 metre by 4 metre path through a minefield.

[​IMG]

2. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Team Germany

[​IMG]

Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf. G mit Minenkette

In response to the Infantristan requirements, the German design team sat down and discussed their possibilities. The specifications required a “mine clearing main battle tank” with AT capabilities to take out contemporary T-34 and M4 Sherman designs.

First, we looked at a chassis. After further communication with Infantristan, we learned that it should be relatively light-weight, low cost, and simple. So we opted for tried and tested Panzer IV G chassis, seeing as the Panzer III chassis was too light and incapable of bearing sufficient armament, and the Panzer V too heavy, expensive, and complicated.

The 75 mm L/43 was chosen as a gun.

Next, we had to find a way to effectively clear a way through minefields. Explosive rockets/mortar was discussed, but was found to heavy and cumbersome. Since there was no internal space, it would have to be mounted outside the chassis – were it was vulnerable to small arms fire.

A frontally attached roller was looked at next, but found rather heavy and hard to replace in the field. A weighted chain would serve the same purpose, and was easily replaced. Two boxes, carrying five chains each, were attached to both sides of the tank.

There are four rows of chains, driven hydraulically from engine power. The system is very mechanically reliable and easy to replace. They are switched on from within the vehicle. A speed of 15 km/h on the minefield can be achieved.

When the chains are operating, the turret faces rearwards, so as to not damage the cannon. It can be turned around at the sight of enemy tanks, and is ready to fire.

The gun gives ample AT and HE ability.

Specifications

Size:
    Length: approx 7.6 meters, not counting maximum forward chain extension
    Width: 2.84 meter
    Height: 2.64 meter, not counting maximum top chain extension
    Weight: approx 24300 tons, counting flail device

Armament
    KwK 39 75 mm L/43

Engine
    Maybach HL 120 TRM / 12-cylinder / 300hp

3. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Team Japan (Ricky and Roel)

Type 4 Medium mine clearing tank "Ri-Ro"

The Infantristan proposal was gladly received by the Japanese design team. After all, they had only recently completed trials of a mine-clearing tank, the Type 97 Chi-Ha Mine Clearring tank G, based on examples of the American ‘flail’ system used against our Imperial Armed Forces.

However, their optimism was short-lived, as the Type 97 Chi-Ha Mine Clearing tank G failed several of the requirements – most notably in that it was unarmed. Various attempts were made to fit this vehicle with a weapon capable of dealing with T-34 and M4 tanks, but all were wildly impractical.

The design team decided to take a different approach, namely to find a tank that fit the design requirements, and then add the mine clearance device to it. The most suitable tank found was the Type 4 Chi-To, with adequate armour, a good 75mm gun and a top speed of 28mph.

Initial trials were a complete success, once the system of attaching the flails to the tank had been perfected. However, concerns were raised by representatives of the Armoured Corps, who pointed out that when the flail was in operation the turret had to be traversed to the rear due to the length of the gun barrel, which left the tank effectively defenceless. To overcome this concern the designers resorted to the abandoned practice of adding a ball-mounted mg in the turret rear, which could at least provide limited supporting/suppressive fire while the flails were in operation. The ammunition store in the turret rear had to be abandoned, but this made the Armoured Corps representatives happier, as the turret rear was the prime target for enemy gunners while the tank was clearing mines. This did have the effect of lowering the number of rounds carried for the main gun from 55 to 35, but this was seen as an acceptable trade-off, especially as this offset to an extent the extra weight of the flail apparatus. A typical load would be 30 high-explosive rounds and 5 anti-tank rounds, though obviously this could be varied to suit circumstances. Smoke rounds can also be carried.

With the assistance of a field maintenance unit, the flails can be removed, effectively transforming the tank back into a standard fighting tank.

The Type 4 Ri-Ro

[​IMG]

GENERAL DATA
    Type: Medium Tank
    Crew: 5
    Length /hull (m): 6.34
    Width /with skirts (m): 2.86
    Height (m): 2.86
    Combat Weight (kg): 32000
    Armour: 12-75 mm
    Engine: Air-cooled V12 diesel, 400 HP
    Speed (normal): 28 mph
    Speed (when flail in operation): 20 mph

FIREPOWER
    Primary Armament: 75mm Gun Type 2
    Ammunition Carried: 35
    Secondary Armament: 3 x 7.7mm Type 97 MG
    Ammunition Carried: 4035

4. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Nice artwork again Roel. But - "Ri-Ro", did Scooby Doo give you the name :D
    I know, Ricky-Roel

5. Zhukov_2005

Zhukov_2005 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sorry boys, but I have no time to post my entry. I have to go catch a flight I almost forgot about. I'm sorry if I held anything up. :oops:

6. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Nice one, Oli. I am impressed.

7. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Nah, Ricky did! :D

Thanks, I was afraid you'd call my work subpar this time because there's only one, uncoloured pic.

8. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    If I was fluent in Japanese, I might have attempted something a bit more serious. ;)

9. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ricky:

kiraigen hitobarai tanku - minefield clearing tank (built up one word at a time from http://www.freedict.com/onldict/jap.html). Probably near enough for game purposes. Ri-Ro has a definite flavour to it, but now I can't get Scooby Doo out of my head every time I see it - maybe you should call it the Ghost Hunter Tank :lol:

Roel:

Substandard? I think the shading really does something for the looks - sort sepia-toned

10. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    I just adapted the name of the base tank (Chi-To) to something that reflected the designers.
    Not unlike our first entry, the 38(t) ausf R ;)

11. PanzerMeister

PanzerMeister New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'll submit the winner later today or early tomorrow.

12. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    what about me ? , I have yet to submit my entry.

13. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hurry up, CSP! :D

14. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Sorry , i won't be submitting one :(

15. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ohh, CSP I've been checking in all day for your contibution. That's it, my Saturday down the pan :lol: . Hard luck mate.

16. PanzerMeister

PanzerMeister New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I knew that this game would be hard, because of the mineclearing thing. It was sad that were only 3 contestants.

Chancellor
    Very good minefield clearing equipment. Maybe vulnerable to fire but very effective in mineclearing. Good gun and armour.

Panzer IV mit Minenkette & Ri-Ro
    Flail is not the best solution for mineclearing. It's too slow. I'm sorry guys but no flail can reach 15 or 20 km/h (although I should have said it in the briefing :oops: ) But the chassis are well-chosen.

So the winner is Oli, congratulations!

17. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    Flails are still used today for mine clearing...

Christian

18. PanzerMeister

PanzerMeister New Member

via TanksinWW2
  19. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks Panzermeister. we nearly tried to sell you Conger, but thought you might have read the combat report :lol:
    Game 9 spec to be posted shortly.

20. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    I call dips on being the German team!

Christian