Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Garrison Pin

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by joevol, Sep 14, 2016.

1. joevol

joevol New Member

I have a picture of my dad with a garrison hat pin that I'm trying to identify. Unfortunately the site picture limitation does not allow me to post the picture. It I believe was taken at Camp Upton where he entered as a selectee during WWII.
    I believe this because the uniform does not contain combat badge, ribbons, etc.....that are on another picture that I have. The pin appears to be the shape of a shield with a bright "Y" that spans the entire shield. Can anyone point me in a good direction for identifying the pin.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

It is much easier to help if we can see a photo of the pin. One way around the limit on image size is to upload the photo to a website like Photobucket. Once it is uploaded, it will provide you with a link which you can simply copy and paste into your post. There are other sites that would work just as well. I just happen to use Photobucket.

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

A few possibilities:

122 Field Artillery Regiment:
    [​IMG]

117 Infantry Regiment:
    [​IMG]

132 Infantry Regiment:
    [​IMG]

320 Infantry Regiment:
    [​IMG]

393 Infantry Regiment:
    [​IMG]

4. joevol

joevol New Member

Ok gentlemen......Here is a picture of the garrison hat pin in question. You may recall TD-Tommy776 that my dad's discharge papers reflect elsewhere on this forum he was discharged from Company E, 2nd Infantry Regiment. View attachment 24916

Attached Files:

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

6. joevol

joevol New Member

I'm rifling out the 147th field artillery as it is not supported discharge papers and citations. Discharge papers reflect he served in Northern France, Rhineland, and Central Europe. While the pin appears similar to the 132nd infantry regiment, again it's not supported by citations.

That said does anyone know where I can find a picture of the 2nd Infantry Regiment under 5th Infantry Division?

7. LRusso216

8. TD-Tommy776

Camp Upton was primarily an induction center and he would likely not have been there much more than a week before being shipped out to where he would do his infantry training. My guess is that it was taken after he joined his training unit. If you know where he did his infantry training, that may help narrow down the possibilities.

The 131st Infantry DUI is very similar to what is in the photo. However, the WWII service of the 131st doesn't match up:

from www.33rdinfantrydivision.org/book_stateside.htm

9. joevol

joevol New Member

Thanks for help on this Tommy. While the 33rd Infantry Div insignia is close to his garrison pin, the division's service record again does not match with his discharge papers theater and citation data. That said I looked at a picture of my dad and mom that has been enlarged to 8-1/2 x 11. He is in dress uniform but without his jacket. He has no garrison pin but I think I'm seeing a glue. It appears there is a horizontal diamond patch above his right pocket. The diamond appears to have an oval in the center. It seems odd for a patch to be located over his right pocket.

The picture was for a fact taken here in Nashville, Tn. My dad was from New York, so there was no known reason for him to be in Nashville unless it was close to where he was stationed. Fort Campbell is close to Nashville and I had always assumed that was where he was stationed. I do not know however if he was in Nashville before or after war, although my assumption has always been after the war. That said I do have a marriage certificate I could check against his date of discharge.

I also have a picture of him in St. Louis, MO. standing with his brother who was stationed there. Could both of them been stationed there? Possibly.....I think that woul be Fort Houston, MO

Attached Files:

10. LRusso216

Unless I'm missing something, the emblem for the 33rd Infantry Division is very different from what you show

[​IMG]

WWII US Army 33rd Infantry Division DUI DI Crest Pin

11. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Seems to be the "ruptured duck". This means the photo would have been taken just after discharge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorable_Service_Lapel_Button

12. joevol

joevol New Member

Well George Patton, I think you nailed it on the "ruptured duck" patch. The fact dad met my mom after the war and the patch being a post war insignia makes sense. Doesnt explain what the heck a NY guy was doing in TN but it is a piece of the puzzle.

As for his training location and initial assignment, I'll just have to continue the search.

Does anyone know if these photos where typically taken by military or private photographers?

13. TD-Tommy776

Just a little mix up. I was referring to the 131st Infantry Regiment DUI that you posted, and also referenced the 33rd Infantry Division website for the info I quoted. He typed 33rd Infantry Division, but meant to refer to the 131st Infantry.

14. LRusso216

Is your avatar a picture of him? The picture shows a CIB and there is some kind of crest on his cap. It might give us more help if you can blow that up.

15. joevol

joevol New Member

In answer to your question Graybeard, yes my avatar is a picture of my dad and it is a CIB. His garrison in the same picture has no pin. That said, the first of three pictures I have of him in uniform is the thumbnail in post#4 above. This is the one with the garrison pin. The Picture background has a green tint. The closest if come to in identifying the pin is that of the 132nd IR which doesn't make sense because they went to the Pacific and my dad by his discharge papers served in Europe and I have a German knife to further prove. I've even questioned if the garrison pin in question was just available for the photo or could his assignment been changed before he left the states.

Just in case it adds to the conversation: In addition to the CIB he earned the American Theater Ribbon and the ENAME w/3 bronze and by discharge a person served in Northern France, Rhineland, and Central Europe. And while this is also supported by his being discharged from Company E, 2nd IR it doesn't proof positive that he was with this unit for the duration.

16. Buten42

Buten42 Member Patron  

Is there a chance you would feel comfortable posting an image of his separation paper? If the 2nd IR was just his separation unit, there still may be some clues to his combat unit.