Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Gas Warfare Treaty

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by PactOfSteel, Feb 7, 2008.

1. chemical.nasties

chemical.nasties Member

For those interested two of the chemical warfare armourers, Geoff Burn and Arthur Lewis will feature on an upcoming episode of 'Cities of the Underworld' on the History Channel called Alcatraz Down Under. It will appear on Australia TV on Monday March 9th at 8.30pm (with an encore screening on Saturday 15th of March at 6.30pm). For US times see;

Cities Of The Underworld - Alcatraz Down Under

2. chemical.nasties

chemical.nasties Member

here's the segment;

YouTube - Cities of the Underworld - Alcatraz Down Under - Glenbrook Tunnel & Chemical Weapons - 1/5

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I read an interesting article on a gas facility in England that is still off limits. I must mine through my old magazines for it.

4. chemical.nasties

chemical.nasties Member

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

6. chemical.nasties

chemical.nasties Member

Death By Mustard Gas

Dear all

If anyone is interested this is a new one;

http://www.bigskypublishing.com.au/Books/Military/Death-by-Mustard-Gas/1067/productview.aspx

In 1943 a top secret consignment of chemical weapons, including deadly mustard gas, arrived in Australia by ship. But there was a problem — it was leaking. Military authorities quickly realised this but, in the interests of secrecy, sent unprotected and unsuspecting wharf labourers into a lethal environment. The result was catastrophic: permanent disability and death. This shocking narrative includes accounts of official deceit, intimidation of gassed labourers and denial of natural justice. The truth, buried in classified documents and the testimony of the few survivors, is that human life was sacrificed for the sake of secrecy.

Almost 70 years after war stocks of chemical weapons were apparently totally destroyed, mustard gas is still present on the Australian mainland, in her oceans and along her coastal fringes. The total destruction of chemical stocks is simply another military assumption. The truth is that these deadly weapons were incompletely destroyed, buried or simply lost. Many retain their effectiveness despite the passing of time, a fact that cost one man his life and saw staff and children at a school badly burned. Mustard gas weapons have been retrieved as recently as 2012 and more may lie in shallow graves waiting to be uncovered. This is a very real lesson for the military of today.

All the Best
    Geoff Plunkett
    Sydney
    Australia

7. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

AFAIK thousands of tonns of unexploded munitions, including gas, were sunk after WW2, and may come back to haunt us, on the other hand while full disclousure of where they are may avoid people accidentally running into them it may not be a great idea with so many crazies looking for WMDs around.