Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

General Forum Info/Ideas

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Peppy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Yesterday I was visiting our flawless leader Otto, and we had (yet another) great conversation about WWII and the WWII Forums. Now most of you older Rogues out there know me, but what many of you might not know is that I'm not much of a Forum poster, I'm more of a lurker. With few exceptions, I've probably read every one of the over 100,000 posts here on the WWII Forums. This fact combined with some of the ideas that Gröfaz Otto and I were throwing back and forth yesterday has prompted me to make this post. It's sort of a collection of ideas and information. All insanity is strictly my own, no one else may be held liable for it. :peppy::spliff:

Rogues: the generic term for you WWII Forums members, kind of like grunt, landser or foot-slogger. Some of the Rogues can be seen in the WWII Forums Rogues Gallery. If you like, send me an email (HitlerStalin@ww2n.com) or Private Message and I'll add your ugly mug to the gallery.

[​IMG]
    der PanzerPenguin: the resident enforcer and troll killer here on the WWII Forums. If you are going to be an ass, then expect a visit from him and it will not be pleasant. The last things you will hear before your one-way trip to Ban-ville are automatic gunfire and his twisted penguin cackles. der PanzerPenguin will push it to the limit, your safety is not guaranteed. Also, the PanzerPenguin represents one half of the WWII Forums mascot team, the other half being the mighty four-pound Alfie.

Research Projects: the true reason that the WWII Network/WWII Forums was created in the first place. We will be getting back to this 2007.

...and speaking of projects...

[​IMG]
    mp40 Project: one of my favorite projects, I'll personally be relaunching this in 2007. I've even made a fancy button.

Front 64: a set of graphics standards that will help make the WWII Forums looks very, very cool. It encompasses smilies, the web gallery, avatars, signatures, ranks, etc. I'll explain and outline exactly what Front 64 is 2007.

21: the number of posts when most Rogues know they are on to some cool here at the WWIIF. The first medal is awarded at this point.

1,000 (WWIIF Veteran status): the number of posts for a Rogue to be considered a WWIIF "Forum Veteran."

2,176 (WWIIF Campaign status): the number of posts required for a Rogue to earn their WWIIF Campaign Medal. This constitutes one post for each day of the Second World War. That's a total of 5 years, 11 months, 15 days between Friday, Sepember 1st, 1939 and Wednesday, August 15th, 1945. Any Rogue that reaches this level has displayed dedicated participation. There are only eight of these Campaign veterans on the Forums, and we *should* be adding at least two more in 2007.

5,000 (Ace status): the number of posts for a Rogue to be considered a WWIIF "Ace." We have just 5 Aces, 2 of them are double Aces.

10,000 (Elite status): to achieve this number of posts a Rogue must be either truly elite or Section 8, you decide. To date, only Carl Evans and Kai-Petri have reached this summit. To put this in perspective, as of this date, and at the current rate, it's going to take Erich, the member with the 3rd most posts (7,297), over two years and two months to reach the five figure Elite status!

1 (danger pay): the number of posts a day required for a Rogue to get "danger pay." This doesn't mean you get any money ;), but it's a good measure of reliable & consistent participation.

Martin Bull & Kai-Petri: two members I have huge respect for. We have so many truly great members here at the WWII Forums, but these two guys have made so many bloody good posts that it's worth coming here just for them alone.

Otto: simply an impressive dude, honestly one of the coolest guys I've ever met. If you ran into him in the street, you would never guess he's a techie, and you'd certanly not realise he's a badass mixed martial artist/nhb fighter.

These are just some rambling thoughts from a crazed Flying Hellfish. Any feedack, comments & suggestions are welcome.

Peppy >>> doesn't post in quantity, but posts quality

Milestone likes this.
  2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Aw shucks Peppy, I appreciate the comments, :eek: in truth I wish I were cool in any way.

I do have something interesting to add to this thread though:

WW2.org: a website that will be launched in 2007. I won't reveal what it is yet, but it's going to fit in well with the WWII Network (ww2n.com) and the WWII Forums (ww2f.com).

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

a Rogue eh ? somehow I feel I need to dress up in something 1780'ish with my face painted white and wear hot pink tights.

~ I wonder if smooth black spandex will do ? :p

4. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

A Rogue indeed Erich!

I'm picturing you in hot pink spandex, white face-paint, long hippie hair and a Panzershreck under your arm. If that's not a Rogue, I don't know what is!

5. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

This is worth sticking. Peppy, you really took our conversation and ran with it my friend! :D

I'll see to it that some of the unofficial things you mentiuoned (Aces, elite vets, danger pay), become actually official. I'll work something out so that you Rogues get medals and awards for these things.

Milestone likes this.
  6. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

As a man who is regardes as a 'rogue' most of the rest of his life, I've gotta say I agree with everything the hellfish has said!

On an unrelated note, every time I come back to this forum I feel priviliaged to be a member.

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

ah I dunno Peppy that Rogue description you gave ........... yeah a prison sentance

I like what you have been presenting on a serious note :D

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx Peppy!!

And thanx Otto as well!!!

I´ll just have to get to a scanner ( hopefully next time two weeks from now as I am working far away from "home") and I´ll be able to send a pic to you guys. Maybe you can replace Ike´s, Monty´s etc heads with ours so we´d look like being in WW2 for real...

;)

9. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Bravo and well said Peppy. A grand salute to Otto.[​IMG] It only takes one to change the world.....at least this is a start. An amazing endeavor and great things are yet to come. Thanks to all.

10. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Some good ideas, I'm curious to see what this Research Project thing gets to be. Please excuse me for my non-English-as-first-language condition, but isn't the term 'rogue' somewhat negative?

11. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

In as much as 'dogface' or 'flyboy'. It does mean to describe someone as dishonest but also describes someone who is a maverick, stray or mischievous of which hits me on the nail. Mostly used in the stray context such as rogue units, or rogue operative.

12. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Just so you know, I've decided to change the WWII Forums definition for the term "Ace" It previously meant any member that had 1,000 posts or more, but since a true aviation ace had to get 5 kills, and I think I'm changing this to 5,000 posts.

So then we have a total of five aces on the WWII Forums, two of which are double aces, (aka 10K elite). I'll have to give them some sort of suitable rank or insignia. Here is our current ace list:

C.Evans 10K Elite
    Kai-Petri 10K Elite
    Erich Ace
    Martin Bull Ace
    General der Infanterie Friedrich Ace

As for any member who scores 1,000 posts, I haven't quite come up with a name yet, but I will. Here is the list of members who have been disenfranchised of their ace status:

Otto
    Stevin
    Stefan
    Za Rodinu
    The_Historian
    PzJgr
    TA152
    TheRedBaron
    T. A. Gardner
    Panzerknacker
    Mahross
    Richard
    No.9
    CrazyD
    KnightMove
    urqh
    Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Any feedback on a good term for the Rogues who hit the 1,000 posts mark is appreciated. (I was initially thinking centurion, but that means 1,00 as opposed to 1,000.)

Peppy >>> didn't intend to pluto any Rogues

13. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I feel like Gerhard Barkhorn...so Carl must feel like Erich Hartmann....

;) ;)

14. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Well if 5 kills = 5,000 posts, then Hartmann's 352 kills = 352,000 posts! Even if you made 100 posts a day, it would take you over nine and a half years to reach that total! :eek:

Peppy >>> doesn't have the stamina to be an Ace (that's what she said)

15. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Indeed Peppy!

Actually I was referring to the positions one and two we are holding at the moment in the ranks here just like the mentioned German aces in their "kill ranks".

;) ;)

16. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

I knew what you meant Kai, with you two being #1 and #2 posters and all. I was just trying to show how ridiculous my expectations of what ace has to do is.
    [​IMG]
    By the way Kai, you better get cracking if you are to break the 100,000 post mark by 2008!

17. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Hey Fishy, don't go into any dark alleys or you'll get a visit from the cat!:spar1:

18. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

With all due respect Za, I can't say I'm all too worried. Between the knockout abilities of der PanzerPenguin, Otto, Trouble and Alfie, all of whom I'm perfectly willing to hide behind, I think I'll be OK.
    :peppy:
    - :pzp: - :otto: - :trouble: - :alfie: -
    :shiner::rodinu: ​

Peppy >>> feels safe behind his iron curtain

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

A fex suggestions here: : 1000+Rogue = ELITE KAMARAD / Elite Warrior
    1000 = Elite KRIEGER
    5000 = ACE
    5000+Rogue= Expert

20. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Some good terms there Skipper, thanks.

Just so you know, I decided to use the term "Rogue" to describe all members of the WWII Forums, kind of like the phrase "forum goons", or "forum members", but in this case "Forum Rogues." You become a Rogue the second you join the WWII Forums.

I need your help on a couple terms if you don't mind. I was under the impression that the english term "ace" and the german term "experten" mean the same thing. Is this true or is there a difference? Also, what do the terms Kamarad and Krieger mean in a military sense, were they used for WWII acomplishments?

Peppy >>> needs some words for his dictionary