Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

George Chatterton "Chad by Chat" cartoons

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Signal Corps, Mar 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Signal Corps

Signal Corps recruit

I'm trying to track down a few examples of George Edward "Chat" Chatterton's World War II cartoons, especially some from the "Chad by Chat" series.

The cartoon character "Chad" is thought by some to be the original image to which the phrase "Kilroy Was Here" was attached.

George Chatterton was a British cartoonist who served with the RAF as artist-photographer (1938-50) but began drawing for magazines and newspapers in 1932, contributing to Blighty, Weekend, Weekly News, RAF Review, Boy's Own Paper, Daily Mirror, Dail Sketch, Everybody's, Leader, London Opinion, Picturegoer, Weekend Mail and others.

"Chad" was immensely popular during World War II and was featured looking over a wall in a series "Wot! No . . .?" One sighting, on the side of a British 1st Airborne Division glider in Operation Market Garden, had the plaintive complaint "Wot, no engines?".

I'm also seeking a photo of George Chatterton.

References to books, magazines and/or online sources would all be appreciated.

Many thanks!

2. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

There's the UK archive of press cartoons just down the road from me at the University of Kent in Canterbury. They're in the process of putting more online, they lack any Chatterton online, but they're probably the folk to get in touch with via; Home - The British Cartoon Archive - University of Kent

3. Sharrad

Sharrad recruit

Hi,
    Came across your post whilst browsing CHAD in general.
    Back in 1978 my father visited a Holiday Camp in Devon England, called Blue Waters Holiday Park. He met someone there who was working as the resident Cartoonist/Portrait Artist and they began talking about their shared RAF background, my father having been aircrew on Liberators in South East Asia during WWII, and the man in question having been an artist working for the RAF. This man claimed to be the creator of the CHAD cartoons, and gave my father a charcoal drawing (about 18x12) of Mr Chad looking over the wall, with the caption 'Wot! Still No peace in the world?'. The Wall has 1940 sketched on it, and the cartoon is signed CHAD and dated 1978. My father passed away in 1990, but he always maintained that the man that he became friendly with on that holiday, was the creator of Mr Chad. I still have the cartoon.
    I hope this information is of some use.
    Kind Regards
    Pete

Otto likes this.