Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German artillery flag relic

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by Skipper, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This is a rare relic. I believe it's a Prussian regimental ARTILLERY flag.

Who can help me to identify it?

It appears to be Imperial (M-17 helmet, pickelhaube) and artillery (ball haube + shells) and from Prussia (eagle+ prussian blue) .

It's excellent qaulity gold thread embroided on silk and was supposed to be square shaped. It was vandalised but someone saved the four main parts and kept it framed until it ended in my collection.

Who can help me to identify my German artillery flag.

It appears to be Imperial (M-17 helmet, pickelhaube) and artillery (ball haube + shells) and from Prussia (eagle+ prussian blue) .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

more details:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Is it me or does it seem that everything that would denote which regiment it actually belonged too (number/name) has been removed? It also has the appearence of being torn up rather than battle damaged. Some of those seperations look a little too neat.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It was possibly vandalised after a battle. The fact that regiment numbers were taken out could also mean it was sabotaged by those who did not want it to fall in wrong hands, precisely to avoid indentification.

Colours and symbols should ring a bell for some experts though, at least I hope. No matter how this flag was damaged, it is a rare relic and I'm glad Ipicked it up and saved it.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

note the embroided details of the helmet for instance. You can even see the pins that hold the brasson the leather

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

No ideas at all about the origine of this flag? Come on, you can do better than that lads.

7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I'm looking Skipper !!! Totally out of my limited knowledge range but Googling like mad for "Anything" about early flags. One question; would this flag have something to do with a combination of Infantry- the helmet, Artillery- shells, Calvary- crossed swords and Headquarters- other helmet ? All the flags I've come up with have the same 'emblem' at each corner. Just reaching for straws here :)

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This could be an interesting thread to follow. I'd rather opt for the artillery option though. The Pickelhaube with ball and the shells are both artillery. The swords could be the commander and the Stahlhelm the later version of the artillery helmet.

What about a Reservist Flag or even a veteran section one?

9. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member