Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German bunkers on the dutch coastline

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Heinrich, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

Hi guys
    Underneath you'll find a link to website of a group of Dutch bunker enthousiasts who did a great job archiving many fortifications build by the Gerbils in ww2 along the whole Dutch coast line .

Some are still there today , but many were dismantled in the seventies and eighties . Many of these bunkers were build directly on the coastline and have a tendency to weaken the natural dunes wich is a hazard to a country thats mostly under sea level .

I remember visiting many of the pictured bunkers around IJmuiden and Zandvoort as a kid in the early seventies and knowing most are no longer there makes me sad .. :(

We used to go out all summer discovering them from the nearby camping my parents had a camper , and we even found some bunkers still filled to the top with ammoboxes right next to a restaurant known as Parnassia buried under a few meters of sand in the late seventies .
    Remember the local forester saying to us kids thats impossible as they knew all the bunkers in the area ...how wrong he was ... within a few days the whole area was blocked off and dug out by Explosives experts ..containers full of ammo came out :p
    '
    Remenber finding teller mines in suitcases (?) , mg boxes , antiaircraft gun mags and loads and loads of clips , all in a very bad state mostly ..still have some coins I found inside various bunkers .

Anyway , have a peek at the pics , think most of you will appreciate :rolleyes:

zandvoortsebunkerploeg - Home

Haagse Bunkerploeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortificated island in harbour IJmuiden (amsterdam's seaport )
    [​IMG]

Tomcat likes this.
  2. greglewis

greglewis Member

The bunker in the second pic looks incredibly well preserved.

3. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

Most of the Dutch bunkers were/are , they were never used in battle and were just left to rot after the war .. you'll find them all along our coastline .

on one of the photoseries on the first website the demolition of a whole group of bunkers is shown that were used as summerhouses (schuitegat ) . I knew those well ..pity theyre blasted now .
    The one thats being dug out belonged to that group . These were located in between Zandvoort and IJmuiden . The ammobunker we found as kids was very close to there also , maybe a few hundred meters away from there .