Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German dogtags

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Skipper, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

my latest dogtags, one from a pow and Austiran :)

[​IMG]

They have jsut arrived today so I have only partially identified them.

One is a Stalag tag from a pow who was at Stalag 2A (Neubrandenburg)

the second one is from an austrian from Vienna who was apparently posted at the Süd front .I haven't identified the "H ABN JNSB" part yet. I think H = Haupt.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, great tags. The Austrian tag looks like it could have something to do with the Infantry? Just a wild guess based on the "H" as well as the JNSR letters. "J" in this case could be used in reference to an Infantry unit. I have a Loyalty to the Regiment cross that uses the same designations for infantry.

Skipper likes this.
  3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Cheers Carl I will dig this lead further

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

early war markings I believe too. The Stalag one would be from June 1940 for instance

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Skipper, and also looking forward to your findings ;-)) Once im settled back in Corpus Christi, ill have all my stuff scanned at W-M onto CD-hopefully they will come out good enough to see the details? Anyway, if so? ill have my Loyalty to the Rgmt Medals and Rgmt Crosses on the CD as well. I don' have but just a few of these since they are now astronomically high these days. The one I know for sure that I have that uses the "J" for Infantry-is a 1900 0r 1901 Loyalty to the Rgmt Cross that I was given by a WWII German Vet-who wantd me to have his Fathers only Military momento he had left-so I got his cross ;-)) This cross in particular was to the 15th Kompanie von Sachsen Regiment. This was given to me for my Birthday in 2001 ;-))

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I can't wait to ge this Carl. Just a guess but could the NSP be short for the NS party?

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, you might be correct on the NSP part but, just a hunch, I think it mat have something to do with the Reserves??? But im sure im not correct ;-))

Almost forgot, the JN part of those letters will be in reference to the Infantry-at least it is on that Loyalty To the Regiment crosses I have ;-)) I don't have any clus what the last two letters could stand for? For all the dogtags iv'e ever seen, i've nevved r seen any listing the soldier as being a party member-not that im saying that ID would not have ever been used-just that i've never seen a tag with it on it.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

In that case it would be JN (= infantry ) + SP . S would be something like Sanität (medic?) , Sicherheit, etc... hard isn't it?

10. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

with a little help skipper,this is the Heeres Abschnitt Inspektion Sud-Ost - Army Sector Inspection South East. This guy was a kind of an army clerk. He was located in Wien.

Skipper likes this.
  11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, and Cheers Ray, no telling on this tag though. Ive never seen info on others quite like this has ;=))

12. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

hi carl,just had this sent to me.. Heeres Abnahme Inspektion Südost !

The guy was a member of a subbranch of the Heeres Waffen Amt.

They are responsible for the "lucky", little eagles on the weapons. Called WaA Eagle...

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Cheers Ray for that info. Also, it would be kuhl to know if this guys hands actually touched my Mauser Sniper Rifle and my Walther P-38 ;-))

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

problem solved thanks to ray! I was thinking of Abteilung, but Abnahme was the word. Bingo!

So it's an interesting tag isn't it?

I will now focuss on the Stalag tag. I have reasons to believe this belong to a French pow in this Brandenburg area camp.

15. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

certainly is skipper,one you wouldn't run across every day,ray.:)

16. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

mmm! now theres a thought? :D,no! ;)

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

These were both for sale in a classic add among socks , second hand cars and lumber... . When I sent the guy an email , he said they were gone, but a week later , I got an email from him saying the first buyer never showed up and that I could have them , so it was a nice surprise.

18. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

mr lucky eh,well done on that one skipper..

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

some info about Stalag IIa from wiki.

The camp was built in September 1939 to house Polish prisoners from the German September 1939 offensive. The first ones arrived 12 September. Some were used for completing the camp construction while housed in tents during the bitter cold. Others were sent to work on farms, they were the fortunate ones because they were better housed and fed
    May and June 1940 Dutch and Belgian prisoners arrived from the Battle of France, followed by French. A number of the French were black from the colonial regiments who were used for the worst work such as collecting trash.
    A new camp for officers, Oflag II-E was created close by and Polish warrant officers and ensigns were transferred to it.
    In 1941 more prisoners arrived from the Balkans Campaign mostly British and Yugoslavian (mostly Serbs).
    In late summer 1941 Soviet prisoners from Operation Barbarossa arrived and were placed in a separate enclosure built south of the main camp.
    In September 1943 some Italian internees were transferred to Stalag II-A from Italy after the capitulation.
    November 1944 to early January 1945 American soldiers captured in various operations during the Allied drive westward arrived. Most were immediately sent to Arbeitskommandos.
    February to April 1945 Neubrandenburg was a waypoint in the forced march westward of Allied prisoners from POW camps further east.
    28 April 1945 a Soviet armored division reached Neubrandenburg.

20. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

of some interest skipper.and a couple of stories from stalag IIA too.. Prisoner of War