At the outbreak of war Germany had a comparatively small number of motor torpedo-boats, but, as they could be built far more cheaply and more quickly than submarines, she speeded up construction of an improved design known as E-boats or "Night Hawks" These craft were active in the Channel from July 1940 onwards, but there is good reason to believe the Royal Navy had got the mastery of this latest menace. The E-boats carried a crew of 19 officers and men. Besides torpedoes they were armed with 1-1/2-in. automatic shell guns and they had a range of about 600 miles. They were very low in the water and therefore difficult to spot from a distance, but could sight even a small coasting steamer long before they themselves can be observed. E-boats were driven by Diesel engines, which, when they were going at full speed, made a roar that could be heard far off, but at low speeds were almost inaudible. One of these German motor torpedo-boats is seen going "all out" at about forty knots, making a wake that rises above the stern. While a motor torpedo-boat approaches its quarry a man stands by each torpedo tube ready to fire when the signal is given; in the circle is one of them with his hand poised above the lever that operates the torpedo. Below: Some of the German E-boats are seen at their moorings in a German harbour.