Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German Equipment and armour in Chinese Army

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by PanzerMan, Feb 24, 2001.

1. PanzerMan

PanzerMan Member

Hello List,

I heard that the Chinese army under Chiang Kai Shek were equipped with some German tanks and light vehicles.

Also the troops were given the early m-35 helmet.

Anyone has pictures or articles to enlighten me??

* Alvin *
    @@ Alvin's Waffen SS Homepage @@
    SS Freiwilligen Legion Norwegen
    http://alvinlee_81.homestead.com/home.html
    Check it out........ [​IMG]

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Panzerman: I have seen documentaries and photos of chinese troops with M-35 helmets but I dont have any photos. I have also seen Chinese troops using German 88's and other Flakartillerie but have never seen any Panzers or other weaponry that German related.

The Chinese however, did have U.S. and British equiptment. The Chinese A.F. had P-40 Warhawks, the Army had all kinds of light weaponry, GMC Trucks, Willy's Jeeps, 1/2 Tonners, plus British weaponry including 6 and 12 Pdrs.

3. PanzerMan

PanzerMan Member

Hello Mr Evans,

Here is a link to a page about tanks in Chinese Service.

Scroll down and you will see a Jap officer posing in front of a PzKpfw 1 tank in one of the pics as well a SdKfz 221 in another.

http://members.tripod.com/~France40/temp/chinese.html

Comments??

* Alvin *

4. Ron

Ron Member

Thats really funny that they had german equipment! Did they get it during the war?...if they did thats wierd?! since China was an enemy of Japan and ally to britian and the US!

5. PanzerMan

PanzerMan Member

No Doubt about it,

The Germans had been advisors to the Chinese before the war ( not sure if during too ). The Chinese wanted modern European equipment for their army to replace their antiques.

They placed orders for 10 PzKpfw 1 tanks and a few other vehicles. I wonder what markings they used.....

It was said that a number of BMW R75 were ordered as well....

Any other info available??

* Alvin *

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Panzerman, many thanks for the info, I was not well aware at what all the Chinese had recieved from Germany. I knew they had recieved many small arms and some artillery, but was not aware of how far they went.

I know the Germans did have personnel of somekind stationed in China but I think they were mostly Diplomats and not military. There is a wellknown instance of a German Diplomat who attempted to save some Chinese citizens from Japanese brutalities at the risk of his own life, sorry I do not remember his name.

7. PanzerMan

PanzerMan Member

Hmmm...I watched a Japanese war movie not long ago that depicted a few foreign diplomats helping a large group of Chinese civilians from the Japs. Some of them were American and there was one German diplomat....He should be the one.

* Alvin *

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Panzerman: About 2 months ago the History Channel had a 1 hr documentary on that particular "diplomatic" incident. I do not recall if I managed to tape it or not, if I did, I will try to find it and will rewatch it for our information and could tell you his name. I think they had interviews with some of his family members or maybe just a daughter or something of his.

9. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Damn, those chinese guys were crazy! German tanks! LOL!!!

10. Ron

Ron Member

i read that link that was given but after skimming it...it doesn't give specific reference of the Chinese recieving tanks and weapons DURING the war only before hostilities.
    does anyone have anything that shows that? Like any articles about the Chinese getting weapons and equipment from germany DURING the war.
    i ask this because i found it interesting...and it doesn't make much sense...and after telling some people i know they tended not to believe me being that this was said by word of mouth ya know. THANKS

11. PanzerMan

PanzerMan Member

Hi Ron,

Got a point there....

As far as I know, it was said that a number of BMW R75s were ordered during the war and some more field gear in terms of M-35 helmets.

Regards

* Alvin *