Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German experimental weapons in WW2

Discussion in 'Wonder Weapons' started by Kai-Petri, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The place to go to for V3 complex

Mimoyecques

[​IMG]

One of the B-24 pilots was Joseph Kennedy, brother of John F Kennedy. He died during the attack of this complex August 12, 1944.

[​IMG]

www.atlantikwall.net/related_v3.htm

2. Sniper

Sniper Member

It's interesting to note that after the British had bombed the V3 site at Mimoyecques, the German engineers, after examining the damage decided that the site could not be repaired and should be abandoned, but, when the British engineers examined the site after it's capture, they concluded that it could be repaired and eventually put into operation, hence they decided to blow it up.

Since the Germans had been pushed well back at this stage, did the British fear that the French might gain control of the site and use it to bombard London, sometime in the future????? :D :D :D

"Chamberlain seemed such a nice old gentleman that I thought I would give him my autograph."
    Adolf Hitler.

3. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Here is a little factoid that may be of interest, my mates grandfather was an officer in the RE, he arrived in France and was sent to calais to look at a German bunker/weapon site that no one could quite identify. Well he went and found a whole load of pipes, they had no clue as to what it could be and reported something about drainage with a footnote that it could be a weapon. Apparently he has a photograph of him standing on a load of the segments after some of them had been dismantled.
    Just a little thing you may be interested in.

4. MRTODD27

MRTODD27 recruit

Hi, I have a very interesting story about a couple of things.. if anyone wants to hear more or help out, please feel free to ask and share your knowledge to the best that you can. Also if anyone can speak German? This would be very useful perhaps. Anyone know what Der riese in German means, Wounderwaffle gun? DG & DG2 guns? The astroid that hit...?

5. MRTODD27

MRTODD27 recruit

Aliens, zombies, time travel, wounder weapon in Germany?

6. aglooka

aglooka Member

The Giant

Aglooka

7. wokelly

wokelly Member

Went to the facility when I was in France last time. Pretty scary actually, about 3000 people or something are entombed there, and frankly I kept seeing people out of the corner of my eye the entire time though me and my father were the only people there.

Never really believed much in spirits, don't necessarily do, but it was relatively unsettling.

8. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

9. Fred Wilson

Blohm and Voss BV 141

"A single-engine reconnaissance aircraft with optimum visual characteristics.
    The preferred contractors were Arado, but the request prompted the Focke-Wulf company to work up the alternative idea of the Focke-Wulf Fw 189,
    a twin-boom design with two smaller engines and a central crew gondola, while Blohm & Voss proposed something far more radical.
    The proposal of chief designer Dr. Richard Vogt was the unique asymmetric BV 141."

Thanks to: http://www.youtube.com/user/spottydog4477

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV96hXwWN7c

[​IMG]

10. Fred Wilson

Blohm & Voss BV238 Flying Boat

"The Blohm & Voss BV 238 was a German flying boat constructed in World War II.
    It was the heaviest aircraft ever flown when it first flew in 1944, and physically was the largest aircraft produced by any of the Axis powers in World War II.
    The BV 238 V1 prototype, bearing the four-letter Stammkennzeichen (factory radio code] of RO + EZ, first flew on March 11, 1944 after a first jump on March 10th, 1944.
    Six 1750 hp (1.287 MW) Daimler-Benz DB 603 inverted V12 piston engines were used in total, arranged in three forward-facing engine nacelles on each wing.
    The sole completed BV 238 was strafed and sunk while docked on Schaal Lake in September 1944 by three P-51 Mustangs of the 361st Fighter Group.
    Named "Detroit Miss", the lead Mustang was piloted by World War II ace Lt. Urban "Ben" Drew, and another was piloted by William D. Rogers.
    This represents the largest single aircraft to be destroyed during the war.

Drew was told after the raid that he had destroyed a BV 222 Wiking (another large flying boat). He continued to believe this was the case until he was contacted by the BBC in 1974 for a documentary,
    and told that their research had determined that the aircraft he destroyed was actually the BV 238, undergoing flight tests at the seaplane base at Schaal Lake.

Production of two other prototypes was begun but neither was finished. A quarter-scale model of the BV 238 was made during the plane's development for testing.
    Known as the FGP 227, it made a forced landing during its first flight and did not provide any data to the program."

Thanks to: http://www.youtube.com/user/jaglavaksoldier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flDgvOA7k9o

11. Admiral_Humaid

Admiral_Humaid New Member

Hitler was known to have said that 1944 was the year of the Tiger and the Panther tanks and that 1945 would be the year of the Maus. If that project had succeeded and Hitler used the Maus for Berlin's defense, Berlin would have been the biggest death-yard in the world.

12. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

13. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

....A "death yard" filled with a number of smoking Maus chassis.

14. Takao

Takao Ace

I think your being very generous.

I'd say a handful, maybe twenty tops.

15. Triton

Triton New Member

A failed project was the Engelmann U-Boat, a submarine below surface and a speedboat above!
    It was designed to reach 50 knots on surface!
    Unfortunately, pictures are very rare, I couldn't find a good one using google.

It wasn't a project of the last months, when the Nazis tried out every nonsense that may help somehow, somewhere. The Engelmann U-Boat prototype was tested in autumn 1941, when the Type VII U-Boat was still very successful. And it was intended to attack on surface, which was no longer an option later in the war.

It failed to reach more than 30 knots and was uncontrollable at high speeds, so the project was abandoned.

von Poop likes this.
  16. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Is that this beastie?

View attachment 22996 View attachment 22997 View attachment 22998

Fascinating thing. More MTB/E boat than sub?

Never seen that before. Nice one.

Attached Files:

• v2.jpg
      v2.jpg
      File size:
      86.5 KB
      Views:
    • v1.jpg
      v1.jpg
      File size:
      75 KB
      Views:
    • v3.jpg
      v3.jpg
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
    Triton likes this.
  17. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Interesting, it is. Looks like something out of a Flash Gordon movie.

18. Takao

Takao Ace

I was think it's more "There was an old woman who lived in a shoe" than "Flash Gordon".

19. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

"Flash...aaaaahhhh." couldn't help myself.

Attached Files:

20. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

There are also the unused but manufactured dam burster bombs Winter Balloon and Summer Balloon. The first, winter balloon was designed to sink to the bottom of the reservoir then slowly move along the bottom using current to be drawn into the dam's hydroelectric water intakes where it would detonate. The summer balloon version was like a floating mine. It would float below the surface to move against the dam face where it would detonate.
    The Germans made several hundred of each and planned to use them against dams in Russia. The plan never took place as the Luftwaffe could never scrape up the necessary bombers and fuel to carry it out. By the time they had gotten sufficient He 177 for it the front was too far back and there simply wasn't enough fuel to carry it out.