Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German Flags

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Mussolini, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Just browsing the 'Then and Now/Anschluss of Austria' thread and a thought struck me...

Whomever made flags in Nazi-Germany must have become a millionaire!

In pretty much all propagandize pictures, and pictures of Nazi Germany in general, I've noticed that they have flags hanging all over the place. Especially for occasions/celebrations/speeches. Compared to all over pictures from the time period, it seems Nazi Germany was the World Leader in Flag Production.

lwd likes this.
  2. harolds

harolds Member

That, and uniforms. I suspect they had more uniforms per capita than any other nation!

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

On the military side:
    Paul Casberg. A painter commissioned to design the military colours etc. for the new Reich:
    "The most beautiful order I have ever received."
    Can't blame him really. If graphic design was your thing, that's quite the job in hand.

Appears to have been quite the struggle to gather enough skilled labour together to get things going again.

Flags.jpg

Fuhrer decree of 16/03/36 ordered a complete issue of new colours to all units.
    36-37 for the bulk of the issue, all units issued by '39.

(I know little of flags, just have a book by Brian Davis: 'Flags of the 3rd Reich' which has always intrigued. If nothing else it confirms your assertion that they really did like flags!)

Funnily enough, German flags at funerals of fallen airmen in the UK cropped up on Twatter this week.
    Remembered a collector on 2T once mentioned that reichkriegsflagges etc. were also made by British manufacturers in the period, for official functions etc.

The best footage of German wartime flags:
    10:30 onwards:

Say what you like about those Sovs, they knew a thing or two about flags & theatre themselves...

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Some of those didn't make it home...

[​IMG]
    Australians...
    [​IMG]
    Kiwis...great picture.

[​IMG]
    US Paratroopers...