Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German local police?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Ron, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Ron

Ron Member

A question just sorta bumped into me...regarding Nazi germany you don't here much about how the government worked for the populous in germany during the war. Were there like police stations around...i'm sure there must have...were they as ruthless as the gestapo? What if a german killed a jewish person in like some german town...was he found innocent...and if so on what grounds?
    Was there only repercussions if germans killed "perfect" germans?
    How was crime handled? Ever wonder about that...how was the nazi leagal system? Anyone know

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

When I lived in Germany, My landlord's father was in the polizei. There were Police stations and they had similar duties except for homicide and crimes against the state. Those were handled by the Kripo and Gestapo. That is all I could remember but there was a police force.

------------------
    "They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war there is nothing sweet or fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason."

3. R Fogt

R Fogt Member

Ron,

I know this doesnt answer your question, but if you are interested, this site:

http://www.bernd-koenigs.de/Polizeiarchiv.html

has quite a few photos of the German police during WW2. It is in German only, but just click on the links on the left.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

You have done it again Roland, thats an excellent site--thanks!!!!!!

5. Ron

Ron Member

well thanks for the link...but alas...i don't know german! [​IMG]

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Food For Thought.............................

Did you know...that Oberleutnant Heinz Heuer, was the only Feldgendarmerie to recieve the Knights Cross.............................