Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German Mass Grave Found in Volgograd

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Nov 17, 2018.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I wonder how many of them had a bullet holes in the backs of their heads?

George Patton likes this.
  3. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

What Difference at this Point Does it Make?

4. Tamino

I have investigated this more in depth.

According to Beavor:

Out of 91,000 captured German soldiers, 115,000 were shot in the back, 75,000 died from execution style shot in the head, 85,000 died from starvation. The remaining 125,000 ended in Gulag. Just 6,000 of them lived to be repatriated after the war.

5. lwd

lwd Ace

Interesting that the same individual that accuses Poles of minimizing objectionable things that happened on their watch tries to do the same for the Soviets.

6. Tamino

But, 91,000 were captured, 6,000 of them lived to be repatriated after the war. That's what reliable sources claim.

7. lwd

lwd Ace

And what does that have to do with the topic at hand? It really looks like you are trying to deflect things by bringing up irrelevant issues.

8. Tamino

That's exactly what I have said: What difference at this point does it make whether they were shot in back or in head?

I have read an original article in Gerrman by German organization Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e.V.
    It is interesting that the improvised grave has been chosen to provide quick burial of both horse and human corpses to prevent epidemic. The only innocent beings thrown in that grave were horses.
    Perhaps the most interesting is that German and Russian authorities work closely together to provide decent graves for the fallen.

And if you ask me, frankly I don't care what happened to those who rushed into their own grave thousands kilometers away from their homes if they have left such devastation and misery behind them.

As you mention Poles: they did what they did to their countrymen, neighbors who lived on their own Land. These who ended miserably at Stalingrad were intruders who came thousands of miles away from their homes to murder, murder and murder... What they wanted at river Volga? How Russian peasants have jeopardized their peace?

I hope you comprehend what do I really mean.

I can only say: Rest in Peace all Victims of Nazi Beasts.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  9. lwd

lwd Ace

??? Arent't you iinterested in history? It's been over for almost 75 years what difference does WWII make?
    It's one of the details that could put this grave and thus the battle itself into a greater perspective. Given the location some will suspect all the bodies were from murdered POWs others that they all died in action. Either could be correct or it could be somewhere in between.
    I'd be interested in how you define "innocent beings". By some standards horses aren't and by some standards at least some of the German soldiers would be.
    Interesting that they worked together. That they were apparently unmarked mass graves possibly including horses would strain my definition at least of "a "decent grave".
    Then you had the option of simply not replying. Frankly putting up a video with no or little description of why one should watch it is not only a waste of bandwidth but a pretty clear admission that you really don't have any relevant input to the discussion.
    And the Soviets did similar things to their country men.
    I'm not sure I do.
    It's worth noting again that you condemn the Poles and the Nazis but neglect to mention the Communist who were responsible for a significantly higher death toll.

10. Tamino

Killing a murderer at your own doorstep can't be put side by side with execution of a bastard who was caught in a mass murder committed without any obvious reason, except unfounded hatred.
    What I hear from you is just an echo of narrative created at West to promote own "values". Pure propaganda.

11. Tamino

POWs died, that's true but elsewhere and for different reasons. They starved for months before they surrendered, half dead, half frozen, malnourished. Many died in few days. Russians were also starving in 1942. Should they sacrifice own population to feed almost dead enemies, virtually executed/sacrifized by their own beloved Fuehrer. He has let them die slowly by starvation. These who survived worked hard to rebuild country they've ruined beyond recognition. Many died, there were hard times for everyone. Nazis have created that Hell on Earth, not Soviets.

12. lwd

lwd Ace

Which isn't really the case though is it? It wasn't only Soviet citizens that were murdered either was it? Nor were all of the those murdered by the Soviets, or even the majority of them murderers.
    And what I'm hearing from you seams to be that the Soviets were good and everyone else bad.
    I'm glad you admit it but this board really isn't the place for it. If you can't contribute something worthwhile PLS go away. You used to but these recent posts of yours are nothing but trolling. One might even think you'd joined the 50 cent army.

13. lwd

lwd Ace

Why and how are important. The Nazis and the Soviets together were responsible for WWII and the Communist created their own "Hell on Earth" even before the war and continued with it afterward.

14. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Article does not specify mode of death but I would guess that they buried all of the bodies laying around as a result of the great battle to avoid an epidemic. Too bad there is some stereotyping going on here as I would have thought we all would have learned a lesson about hate and what it does.

Tamino likes this.
  15. Tamino

Exactly that was the message of the original article. :p

But some would like to unearth all bones, place "suspect" injuries on them to feed hatred. Propaganda has developed to the extreme when victims of propaganda willingly join the chorus to echo the message spontaneously: bones, bones, bones... more bones, bones...

16. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

So all those Poles the Russians murdered in Katyn were murdering bastards who had marched thousands of miles from their home?

Without a full examination of the bodies of this mass grave, it will be hard to tell. If, however, a majority of them have the hole in the back of the head, well, thats a war crime - murdering surrendered soldiers, especially in that quantity. I do wonder if its location was kept secret/forgotten about because of this?

Do you know if there are any plans to examine the remains in such a manner?

17. lwd

lwd Ace

They could also have been buried by the Germans and the location lost but even now examining the bodies to determine the probable cause of death could reveal some significant facts. Look all the knowledge gained from the dig at Whisby.

18. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

19. Tamino

Let’s just look at a couple of sentences addressing the mission of the Volksbund, the organization that is behind the news:

The Volksbund preserves the memory and the maintain the cemeteries commemorating the war dead. The huge burial grounds remind the living to the past and confront them with the consequences of war and violence.

I can only respect these humane goals.

What is extremely disturbing is that some people here want turn these deeply philanthropic activities into theater of propaganda. That deserves nothing but contempt.
    Relatives of these who have fallen in war aren’t concerned with vicious questions that appeared here. All relatives of these who have fallen in war want in the first place know where their beloved ones are buried and to find comfort with prayer at their graves.

And remember, it is courtesy of Russia that made their wishes come true.

20. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

The presence of horse bones and the fact that the grave was on a battlefield suggests that this was a battlefield burial rather than mass execution. PW might have been executed, but horses have no political orientation. ;)

The Red Army did not need to waste bullets on the Germans captured after the surrender. A long walk in cold conditions with no rations would produce a similar result. There were a lot of dead Germans in Stalingrad before the survivors surrendered.

The report mentions cleaning ID Discs which suggests less than a full archaeological recovery. Many of the dead recovered from Pheasant Wood at Fromelles were identified despite not having any ID tags. Some artifacts with the bodies provided clues and the Australian government paid for DNA tests. That probably isnlt the case here.