Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German Medals...

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by CrazyD, Jul 30, 2002.

1. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

I'm curious on something. We've all read about decorated german soldiers... and some of the medals seem self-explanatory- campaign medals, #tank battles, etc.
    Here's my question- what were iron crosses for- I get the idea they were kind of general medals for exemplary conduct- correct, or no?
    And more significantly, HOW were iron crosses awarded- was it the discretion of a commanding officer? Were there rules or guidelines to follow?
    Any info would be appreciated... from you guys, or maybe a website or something? Rather not be buying any books on this one...

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

3. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Nice info, Martin. That's an impressive site...

4. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Well. The Iron Cross (with Iron Cross, I mean all its sorts, EK II and I and all the RK) was awarded not for an specific bravery act. But for an act "beyond the line of duty". It could be awarded for exceptional leadership, exceptional combat performance, for saving a comrade's life. etc. Usually, they were awarded for inmediate superior officers and some times they were given to entire units (even divisions) for its merits.

Does it help?

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Wehrmacht-awards.com is THE BEST SITE on the net to learn about these medals and awards--and tons of other things. I have been there since it was a 1 page forum with few visitors--now there are about 1,400 active members. And ww2n.com is catching up. :D

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Hello!

Yes, it is recommendable to read the whole story from the net, anyway. My view is that the basic method to get iron cross ( I or II ) or the knight´s cross is a number of heroic or victorious deeds. I think it sounds weird as many countries do give medals for heroism for one special situation like in my country Finland the Mannerheim knight´s cross. That was the usual way. But I know there are other´s like the fallschirmjäger who captured the Eben emael, who got Knight´s cross straight away ( as well as picture with the Fuhrer in the magazines ) and the one that really shows bravery: I don´t recall his name, but one ss-man in Normandy 1944 kept shooting the british with his MG and stopped the attack even when hit in the head and blinded. he listened to the voices and kept shooting at them. I think everybody else of the germans were dead by then. He got Knight´s cross for that. And after the war was put to prison for three years...

But the main way was a number of deeds like with the attack badges, I think. One act of heroism may not have been good enough always.

Bye!

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Welcome to the forums Kai, and your correct--it takes a bit more in order for a German to be awarded a medal.